Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Windfall
I've no dog in this fight, but I watched 2Five7's Youtube video and I was kind of taken back at seeing that tach at 5,000 rpm and nudging over to maintain 60 mph and that ten speed transmission staying in fourth gear the whole way. High rpm to make any kind of usable power is why I sold off my old 5.0 F150 to get a larger v-8 with better low end torque. I realize that was a heck of a test load, but 2.2 mpg would sure be an assault on my wallet.

That motor is designed to rec like that, it will do it all day with no problems. 16k up an 8% grade what kind of mpg did you expect?
That's only an 8 mile pull or something like that.

My dad has a similar 5th wheel setup to mine, (his weighs about 1000 lbs more) and when we pull our 5th wheels plus our side by sides behind them, he gets 1.5-2.0 mpg better than I do in his 6.7 powerstroke. Yes, he can go fast than I can, but should we really be exceeding the speed limit on mountain roads??

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had the truck exactly one month and 4,000 miles. Here are my thoughts:

*I really like the truck so far but don't think it would be good as a town vehicle with many short stops. I have friends that love them for that but I don't understand why. It would be hard to do a full regen cycle with short trips. It gets pretty atrocious mileage going stoplight-to-stoplight. Additionally, mileage seems to start improving after it runs for 20 minutes or so. I would 100% get a gas for a low-miles-per-year vehicle.

*The King Ranch is super comfortable. I've had Lariats in the past and the Lariat seats don't match the comfort level of this vehicle. Though, I do think the King Ranch has too much stuff on it (heated steering wheel, lane sensing nonsense and a bunch of other stuff that is borderline annoying). As much as I liked my previous Tundra, Fords really surpass Toyota from a comfort perspective.

*I don't pull super heavy with 14,000 about as heavy as I go, but this thing pulls better than any vehicle I've ever had. So far probably 20-25% of my miles have been with a trailer. These trailers include a single-axle bumper pull, which I use for my Kawasaki Mule and smaller stuff, a tandem (7K axles) bumper pull utility trailer that I use for my tractor and heavier things and a tandem and a gooseneck 16' stock trailer with tandem 7K axles. The horsepower and particularly, torque, is pretty amazing. It moves petty well empty or pulling 14,000 pounds. This is the first vehicle I've owned that seems to ride and drive better with a trailer than without. It is a little stiff empty, though.

*The fuel mileage is the best of any truck I've ever had. 4,000 miles from new and the lifetime average mileage is 17.6 MPG. This includes highway miles empty, pulling a trailer (again 20-25%) of the time, driving in town and not to mention, break-in. The truck will do 21-22 MPG straight highway running 75 MPH. All of that is pretty amazing to me.

Again, if I were driving fewer miles, I would've bought gas, but for what I do so far this diesel is working really well, assuming I don't have some major reliability issues. Contrary to what another poster said, I've yet to spill diesel on myself or even on the truck for that matter, and I figure I'll make the extra dollars I spent for the diesel up when I trade it down the road.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,973
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.