Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Before the Great Ammo Depression, the .22 Magnum had alot of choices for varmints. For Bobcats and Fox especially. I used a 220 Swift with the then factory Hornady load with the 50gr Vmax that was very fur friendly on coyote. Good luck finding that stuff, ha. I think the .204 is about the best light to medium weight varmint round too. It seems to shoot as flat as a 22-250 yet quieter than a 223. Of course, half my hearings gone anyhow! smile Have a ball man!

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Everyone hunts different, so you really need to get some time in the field to figure out what works, and doesn't work, for you. For a brand new hunter, a 223 AR, a decent piece of glass, and a good FoxPro or Lucky Duck is about perfect. Invest in a good seat, and good optics. Everything else will become evident....or you may find you are stacking coyotes like cordwood with what you have.

In all my years of calling coyotes and cats, the two very best things I ever did was buy a suppressor, and convert to illuminated FFP glass. Suppressors are an absolute game changer, and I cannot imagine hunting without one. Illuminated FFP glass makes everything easier, but those sketchy dawn and dusk, barely legal hung up on a fence line shots are a lot more likely.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If saving fur I'd go 204 or 223 etc. If I just wanted them dead I'd use a 6mm something. 22-250 is a proven killer, but tends to make fur rain down for an hour.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Another vote for the 204 here. Had a L.H. Ruger Hawkeye that shot way better than me. Mine preferred 40 gr bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
Sorry but here's my take on predator calling.

I regularly call in WA, NV, CO, AZ, and NM with occasional trips to UT, WY, MT, SD and started calling in MN and WI never ran into anywhere where they wouldn't come in any closer to 200 yards unless I did something wrong. There should be no reason for them to not come closer than 200 yards unless they see, hear or smell you. If you were actually a dyeing rabbit a coyote wouldn't hang up that far away. Any time I get a coyote hung up that far away I try and figure out what I did wrong.

This year I'm trying to stick a CALLED coyote with my bow so far every coyote (5) I've called while bow hunting has been within 35 yards..

Surely you've had doubles and triples come in, whack one and then have an opportunity at far greater distances.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
two of my favorite calling rifles are a lightweight Rem 700 in 20 practical and a Kimber montana I had rebarreled to 6 BR

20 Practical
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fast twisted 223 would be my choice.
Some sort of 223 ammo is alway available in a pinch

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had a double come in and killed one at 20 yards with the shotgun barrel of my combo gun and the second ran straight at me and I killed it at 6 ft with the rifle barre.. My Nephew and I have killed a three out of a quad with the longest 50 yards a couple times with bolt actions. I killed another and had it's partner run straight at me jump over my legs and I had to lay back and take him going away.

Having coyotes at your shoe laces is a rush, killing them at long range is about as exciting as punching holes in paper or ringing iron.

Last edited by erich; 11/17/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a double come in and killed one at 20 yards with the shotgun barrel of my combo gun and the second ran straight at me and I killed it at 6 ft with the rifle barre.. My Nephew and I have killed a three out of a quad with the longest 50 yards a couple times with bolt actions. I killed another and had it's partner run straight at me jump over my legs and I had to lay back and take him going away.

Having coyotes at your shoe laces is a rush, killing them at long range is about as exciting as punching holes in paper or ringing iron.

Alright....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Alright....

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.