Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
DEER HUNTERS.

(A letter from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, writes well and actually tried this)

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope, and then received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope. That deer EXPLODED. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer-- no Chance.

That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think
clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ..... I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a big dog. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal -like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second
I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God...An Educated Farmer

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Hilarious 😵 🤣 😂 🤣 😂

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no doubt that is a true story.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
A few days ago I had four does walk directly under my deer stand. Not near but directly under. Having speared and taken a few big game animals from the same type of overhead position I was in serious consideration of dropping the 14 feet, knife in hand on one and taking it.
Thought better of it and didn’t. Wish I’d read the above warning and saved myself even contemplating such foolishness

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the knocks to his head must have started way before the above action. Had he been thinking clearly from the start, those deer coming to his feeder were corn fed, or at least grain fed.
the rifle with the scope was invented just for this situation! grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny story, and I can believe it. I had a spike elk tangled up in a fence at my house about 20 yrs ago and I managed to cut it loose. I just got knocked down but my brothers dog who I had chased away several times got sucked in by elks front hooves and spit out the back as the elk jumped up and took off.

Well it’s only fitting that at least once in a while a deer gets to enact a little payback to the human critters that so seek to kill it and just make turds out of it.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's one awaiting a story...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My friend's dad tried something similar years ago. He was a rancher and was out riding one day when a nice 4-point muley (a ten point to you easterners) was paralleling him on his horse. He decided it would be a good idea to rope the thing since it was well within distance. As luck would have it, the lasso went right around the deer's antlers, he jerked the rope taught and quickly wrapped the other end around the saddle horn. That deer took off, hit the end of the rope, went airborne and landed flat on it's back! Unshaken, it immediately got up, spun around and with horns down, charged the horse & rider. The horse wasn't having ANY of that! It reared back and threw my buddies dad and took off at a gallop. In the mean time, the rope came loose from the saddle horn and the deer took off in the other direction. The ol' cowboy got the wind knocked out of him so it took him a few minutes to get back on his feet. Once he did, he found the rope some distance away. The deer was able to shake it off it's antlers as it bounded down the trail. The old man had a long walk back towards the ranch house with some bruised ribs and ego but was finally was able to catch his horse somewhere along the way.

Mule Deer 1 - Cowboy 0

I was in charge of a tailing impoundment at a gold mine 25 some odd years ago. We had a high game fence around it to keep the wildlife out. Every once in a while a muley would try and jump the thing and catch it's hind leg in between the top and second strands which would then twist 180* and hamstring the deer. I would go and get them out by cutting one of the wires to free the leg. I was pretty sporty back then but grabbing ahold of the back leg of a muley with one hand and trying to cut wire with the other is about the same as trying to hold onto the stinger of a jackhammer! Those things are strong! I have no doubt the OP's story could be true.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LOL. Good read.

Had a Rancher friend that used to try and rope feral hogs.
Finally got a loop around a big ole boar.
Jerked his best roping horse down and went after both of them. Said it was a damn good thing he only dallied the rope around the saddle horn and didn’t tie off instead.
He said he wouldn’t recommend anyone else try it. 🤠

I’ve let a few deer loose that were tangled up in our bobwire fence. Those front hooves are faster than a Pro Boxer and very sharp. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Here's one awaiting a story...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Those two look like some real S TX Vaqueros !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In my younger years we roped and tied lots of hogs down along the coast and In that sorry rose hedge country between US59 and the bays. Hogs don’t have no neck nor horns so most catches was around the body. If your partner did his job and caught a hind leg you was good to go if not most of the time the hog no matter the size would run at the horse and try and get between its legs. That was back when you could sell a good size hog for half a days wages. Now they aren’t worth the bullet to kill them. Sure wish we could poison them.

I’ve heard some vaqueros roped a big buck pushes cows with a helicopter someplace down around Freer or Encinal and took it alive to the beer joint. I saw a picture of the buck tied in a truck bed years ago so I have no doubt it happened. I had a copy of the picture I’ll see if I can find it and post it up.
I do have a picture of my great grandpa who roped about a 6-7’ rattlesnake

Also heard some hands roped Nilgai down around raymondville
I’d be Leary of catching a Nilgai. I bet they’d kill a horse

Last edited by ScrapIron; 11/17/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ScrapIron
In my younger years we roped and tied lots of hogs down along the coast and In that sorry rose hedge country between US59 and the bays. Hogs don’t have no neck nor horns so most catches was around the body. If your partner did his job and caught a hind leg you was good to go if not most of the time the hog no matter the size would run at the horse and try and get between its legs. That was back when you could sell a good size hog for half a days wages. Now they aren’t worth the bullet to kill them. Sure wish we could poison them.

I’ve heard some vaqueros roped a big buck pushes cows with a helicopter someplace down around Freer or Encinal and took it alive to the beer joint. I saw a picture of the buck tied in a truck bed years ago so I have no doubt it happened.

They’d have to be some Thoroughbred Race Horses to catch a frickin Nilgai. Those suckers are FAST.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I believe they ran the hell outta them in that blow sand first

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It reminds me of a story Patrick F. McManus wrote about trying to photograph some game and fish folks trying to trap and tag mountain goats.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I heard of a father and son duo in northwest (Harding Co) South Dakota who roped an antelope and spray painted it blue before letting it go. Supposedly the hunters found the animal quite interesting that fall.

Same guys supposedly caught a bobcat alive. They put it a suitcase and left the suitcase on the side of the road near a local Indian reservation then drove a distance away to watch. A car came along, and an occupant jumped out and picked up the suitcase. The car didn’t make far down the road before it stopped and all the occupants exited.

Can’t vouch for he veracity of those, just what I heard.

Last edited by Slope77; 11/17/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I tried to untangle a yearling doe that had a back leg hung in a fence.I grabbed her front legs to throw her over the fence and figured out quickly a 40 pound deer is stronger than a 265 pound man. I was lucky I wasn't hurt. I ended up cutting her throat and cleaning her. She tossed me around like a rag doll when I had a hold of those front legs.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ScrapIron

I’ve heard some vaqueros roped a big buck pushes cows with a helicopter someplace down around Freer or Encinal and took it alive to the beer joint. I saw a picture of the buck tied in a truck bed years ago so I have no doubt it happened. I had a copy of the picture I’ll see if I can find it and post it up.
I do have a picture of my great grandpa who roped about a 6-7’ rattlesnake

They'll kill a horse/cow even without provocation.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
After reading the deer roping storry I no longer claim to be from Oklahoma!

Thanks, Billy
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I caught one bare handed and took it home.

We kept it for a few days and then turned it back over to mama.............

None of this roping baited deer and jumping from trees knife in mouth crap!!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Muffin
I caught one bare handed and took it home.

We kept it for a few days and then turned it back over to mama.............

None of this roping baited deer and jumping from trees knife in mouth crap!!!!

I thought your mama shot it when it kept getting in the corn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,038 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,618
Posts18,533,005
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.