Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Is there anyone that owns one of these, Pro's & Con's? I could not find alot of information out on them. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There are 2 models I guess. One a carbine, the other has a around a 30 inch barrel. They are cut for round ball usually.
Some snuck out with 1/48 I heard, but most 1/60.
Triggers are single, and heavy.
I had Carbine, gave it to a kid that was poor. Shot OK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to believe they once made all those traditional-style guns, even a .56 smoothbore for New England states that required it.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a rather slim and nicely proportioned, half stock, half octagon round barrel, flintlock, large trigger bow, single trigger. Mine was a 1 in 60 twist. Rear sight was not to my taste...but overall it was a very fine rifle and I regret selling mine. It was my entry level gun into competition, and at any given event, it was often in the top 3. Later, as I really got into the game, I had a custom flintlock built with a finely tuned English lock and realized just how average the Thompson lock was. So, in summary, a fine well made, little rifle, capable of superb accuracy, slightly hampered by a very average lockwork. With a little trigger work, sights to suit you, and the very best English flints, correctly knapped, it is a great gun.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Parts - if you end up needing any - they are hard to find, as it was not as large of a production as the Hawken and Renegades.

They were purpose built for the PA round ball season, and twisted slow to match the patch and ball.

Single trigger - that is workable, but not stellar.

It's a "short" half stock to me for a balance and carry, always felt very muzzle heavy in the rifle version, but the carbine was pretty nimble.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There was a guy that had one that used to hunt with us. I liked it. It was a slick handling rifle. Too bad T.C quit making traditional guns.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
wish i coulda had one of the carbines in percussion lock. i had a carbine in flintlock, a later model with the QLA.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a long hunter, worked well after I had the locked swapped out by the factory for the updated one. (I honestly don't recall if I shot it with the original). I wasn't a fan of the QLA, though I don't know if it hurt anything, I just wasn't used to it. I sold it because of that, and the fact that it had more modern, fiber optic sights. (which I loved in function, I just couldn't come to terms with them being on a flintlock)

I was tempted by a short one recently, even though I sure don't need one.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Hard to believe they once made all those traditional-style guns, even a .56 smoothbore for New England states that required it.

Well they were a New England company. Great workmanship back in the day.,,

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ive got one and love it.shoots round ball great.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by barnabus
ive got one and love it.shoots round ball great.

I have a ole' hunting buddy who owned the percussion version of the round ball rifle, the barrel consistently out
shot the "Green Mountain" round ball barrel I have for a .50 T/C Hawkin stock.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Got me one, flint with 1/2 round/ octagonal barrel. Will not part with it for any consideration.
I never shot well with flintlocks. But I shoot THIS flintlock VERY well.
At 50 yards, she just chews a hole. I shoot a .490 ball, .015 patch with a. 54/.56 wad over 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
The previous owner did some useful work on her, Lyman frizzen, glass bedded tang, recut crown and a nice polish job on the bore. She does need a trigger job. A little moly grease on the sear does wonders though.
I can't wait to take her for a walk after Christmas.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i thought they were the holy grail til i finally got one. percussion carbine version would have been neat, but i was not a fan of the flintlock. quality was good, but by then i had gotten a TVM southern rifle that just shot rings around it.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (257robertsimp, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.