Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
+ whatever on the SWFA 6X MQ. I have a lot of them.

This ^

If it's a close cover rig and you don't want to ever dial, I probably go with another selection due to size/weight.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I'll check my stash - I may have a 6x36 Leupie on the shelf.

I would be very interested in that if you want to sell it. Second dibs after the OP of course.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have everything that has been mentioned. I have close to 20 different 6x scopes.

The Meopta and Kaps have the best glass of what is mentioned. The Meopta is quite a bit lighter and should be easier to get. I had to order my Kaps from Germany and it was expensive.

The Leupold is a good scope, I have a 6x36 and really like the length of the scope body. It works really well on a long action. I have a stiff neck so I mount my scopes further back than most.

The SWFA is also a great scope. This is one of my favorite squirrel scopes. The reticle is great on a rimfire. Between playing at longer ranges with the Christmas tree, the inverted German 4 with a dot for putting on a squirrels head in a tree top, all that and AO too. This is a good scope. The glass is not the quality of the European makers but worth every penny.

Micky

“Lighten up Francis”
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I want to thank everyone for the replies. The scope is going on a lightweight 6.5x55 build and I will be using it here in Maine for whitetails and bear. Like Micky I mount my scopes further back then most! All my shots are in the thick stuff at up close and personal ranges. An peep sight would be perfect but bad eyes and a cornea transplant ended my open sight days many years ago. When I was younger a straight 4x with a post was all I ever used but now the 6x is my favorite.

I am still gathering parts for the rifle build so the scope purchase will be a ways out. I have a couple older Leupolds 6x36 scopes and a Leupold 4x32 on the shelf and may use one of them. I really like that Zeiss Diatal but am afraid it most likely wont work for me on a long action. I really like the looks of the Kaps and Meopta and might go that way.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They are both top flight. The Kaps is larger and heavier than a Meopta Meopro. I have not handled a Meopta Artemis. The glass is supposed to be the same. Since they are both very nice, you might want to pick the reticle you like the most and get that.

If you ever stumble across a Kahles 6x, buy it. It’s the best of them all that I have seen.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Docter Optic ( now Noblex)
Burris Signature
Nikon pre-Monarch
Kahles
IOR Valdada
Weaver Classic ( Japan -made, click adjustments), or a Weaver K6-1 MICRO TRAC ( friction adjustments)

and don't laugh,...Bushnell Banner or Scopechief IV. They are very bright with very good resolution.

If you want a "post" reticle, look for a #1 reticle.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Trappererick
I want to thank everyone for the replies. The scope is going on a lightweight 6.5x55 build and I will be using it here in Maine for whitetails and bear. Like Micky I mount my scopes further back then most! All my shots are in the thick stuff at up close and personal ranges. An peep sight would be perfect but bad eyes and a cornea transplant ended my open sight days many years ago. When I was younger a straight 4x with a post was all I ever used but now the 6x is my favorite.

I am still gathering parts for the rifle build so the scope purchase will be a ways out. I have a couple older Leupolds 6x36 scopes and a Leupold 4x32 on the shelf and may use one of them. I really like that Zeiss Diatal but am afraid it most likely wont work for me on a long action. I really like the looks of the Kaps and Meopta and might go that way.

Focusing on these bold comments, I would recommend you consider the Leupold 6x42mm if you're not brand averse. More specifically, I recommend you look on the used market for one with a heavy duplex. They're not common but they occasionally pop up.

While this is not exactly a post reticle in the sense you mention, the bold, heavy duplex gives you the quick and low light reticle acquisition. Also, this scope has good tube length for mounting flexibility along with over 4" of eye relief (4.4" I believe). This would definitely help with your mounting if you normally mount your scopes quite a bit aft.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The S&B is really good too. For a 1” tube it is heavy and has a longer body. Optics are what anyone should expect from S&B, brilliant. You mentioned mounting optics further back. I have mine on a Win 70 XTR 6.5x55 featherweight. The body length on the long action works really well.

My favorite 6x is a Kahles. Finding one is really tough though. Size and weight are great and the glass is the best to my eye.

Last edited by micky; 11/20/21.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SWFA SS series...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Doctor Classic with an A7 with a 26mm tube and a Meopta with a number four reticle.

Last edited by DryPowder; 11/20/21.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You all are gonna laugh at this but I bought a used rifle a while back that had a Japanese straight 6X tasco on it. It's one of the brightest, clearest scopes I have, holds zero and has taken a beating on a truck gun.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by beretzs
https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/schmidt-bender-klassik-hungaria-6x42.html

I like these quite a lot for a woods gun I’m not worried about dialing.

Beretz, (and any others here) have you done business with these folks before and if so were you satisfied with their service and delivery?

Thank you.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
S&B 6x42 PMII on a Fieldcraft 6.5 CM came through again last weekend. I do love that scope/rifle combo.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Houston_2

Beretz, (and any others here) have you done business with these folks before and if so were you satisfied with their service and delivery?

Thank you.

I've ordered a S&B Klassic 6x42 from them in the past and was pleased with both the scope and their service. It did take quite a while to receive the scope. I'm not sure that they keep much of an inventory on hand for the S&B's. They make note on most of them that there will be a delay on shipping.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great pic and nice buck J!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
S&B 6x42 PMII on a Fieldcraft 6.5 CM came through again last weekend. I do love that scope/rifle combo.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Houston_2

Thank you.

I've ordered a S&B Klassic 6x42 from them in the past and was pleased with both the scope and their service. It did take quite a while to receive the scope. I'm not sure that they keep much of an inventory on hand for the S&B's. They make note on most of them that there will be a delay on shipping.

LIKE!!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
The Leupold 6x42 used to be my favorite scope until I bought a Kahles 6x42 with the #4 reticle. I mounted it on my Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional. The perfect one rifle for anything in North America
[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by pacecars; 11/23/21.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like the Meopta that's on my backup/loaner 6.5 man bun. The glass doesn't suck early/late.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
S&B, Meopta, Kahles

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.