Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a Ruger 22 hornet in a laminated stock and is S.S. the barrel is a little heavier too ,i put a 4 x leupold on this fine little rifle and with my handloads my rifle shoots an honest 5 shot groups at 100 yards 1 inch -1 1/4 inch off my cement bench and on my 100 yd. range. its my go to rifle year around on anything bigger than a squirrel , this little rifle hangs loaded in the garage and has killed many animals, i really like the clip system , works just like a Ruger 10-22 clip type.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last month I, fortunately, picked up a CZ 527 22 Hornet. I say fortunately, as CZ just announced they are dropping the CZ 527 and replacing it with a Euro Trash-looking rifle and are not even chambering the 22 Hornet. Now CZ 527's in any caliber have jumped in price and are few in number. An advantage over the BRNO, Sako, and the other Euro rifles is the availability of affordable magazines.

If cost is an issue, you might consider one of the older Savage bolt-actions, or if your wallets thicker than mine, there are a few Winchester Model 70 and 54's in 22 Hornet.

Others may differ, but the 22 Hornets that I chose to avoid because of too many reports of accuracy issues, were the Ruger 77/22 Hornet, the Kimber, and the Sako Model 78.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CZ 527 in .22 Hornet- this is mine, a sub-.5 MOA shooter with Hornady factory ammo. Death on coyotes and wild turkey!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Best $600 rifle I ever bought. Don’t think these deals are often found though.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A single shot allows you to use pointy bullets like the 40gr VMax and BTs without reducing powder space. I’ve had a Browning LW for over 20 years, and it’s a peach. Mule Deer used a Ruger No.1 for years, then sold it for some reason, now he’s back in the game with some old bolt-action after deciding he couldn’t be happy without one. They are very useful and there’s something very compelling about those tiny cartridges. Very thrifty too; 9-13gr of powder and SP primers for most powders except Lil Gun, which gets CCI 450s.

M70s are way out of my comfort zone price-wise, but I get the idea of having a match for your SG. My notion is that a small-bore should be well, small.

Agreed.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B2

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by CBB
https://www.gunsamerica.com/971483284/CZ-527-American-22-Hornet.htm

Imo... pretty good deal. These aren't easy to find

Damn, over $1000. Seems like I paid $500 for a 223

Yeah probably 10 years ago

Hunt...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget the Browning Micro hunter.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Browning Micro's are pieces of fhuqking schit too,due mag constraints(COAL and capacity). Hint.

78's are a bitch to scope correctly,if only due the Goat Fhuqk cited. CZ's schit mags,safety and triggers are fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Not that I don't enjoy you Drooling Fhuqktard's Dumbfhuqkery. A positive headspaced '77 KHorn will reliably shoot in the .4's. I've more than a "few". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Best $600 rifle I ever bought. Don’t think these deals are often found though.

Mine was $695. Pretty good deals.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had a couple 77/22 hornets, totally reliable and totally inaccurate, after bolt shim, VQ trigger kits, glass bed, etc.
Have two 1730 Anschutz, one heavy barrel and one sporter, neither for sale. They are very accurate rifles. Just bought a Win 1885 single shot. Have not shot enough to say on accuracy, but guessing between the 77/22H and the anschutz. Also had a Cooper single shot. Accurate, but not like the anschutz.
Only issue with the Anschutz is that plastic tip bullets will not fit in magazine.

Last edited by dale06; 11/21/21.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a Sako Vixen in 222 Rem with a Speer 45gr Spftpoint over 8gr of 800X. Using the 200yard zero for my full power load the light(22H) load is dead on at 100yards. Quiet and effective. Easy to distinguish as the full power load is the big open hollow pointed 52gr Speer varmint bullet.

Last edited by erich; 11/21/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Following

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Had a couple 77/2# hornets, totally reliable and totally inaccurate, after bolt shim, VQ trigger kits, glass bed, etc.
Have two 1730 Anschutz, one heavy barrel and one sporter, neither for sale. They are very accurate rifles. Just bought a Win 1885 single shot. Have not shot enough to say on accuracy, but guessing between the 77/22H and the anschutz. Also had a Vooper single shot. Accurate, but not like the anschutz.
Only issue with the Anschutz is that plastic tip bullets will not fit in magazine.

I love me some Voopers!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by dale06
Had a couple 77/2# hornets, totally reliable and totally inaccurate, after bolt shim, VQ trigger kits, glass bed, etc.
Have two 1730 Anschutz, one heavy barrel and one sporter, neither for sale. They are very accurate rifles. Just bought a Win 1885 single shot. Have not shot enough to say on accuracy, but guessing between the 77/22H and the anschutz. Also had a Vooper single shot. Accurate, but not like the anschutz.

I love me some Voopers!

I should have proof read it. Those Voopers are rare.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ky221
I'd track down a CZ527 while I still could.

I like mine, now a K-Hornet.

DF

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Live2hunt941: Over the last 50+ years I have owned MANY different brands of Rifles in 22 Hornet including Ruger (3 models), Winchester (2 models), Anschutz, Kimber and savage.
My conclusion "accuracy can and often will be hard to obtain" with the 22 Hornet. NOT impossible, but hard!
Of all of the 22 Hornets I now own my favorite is a beautifully stocked Ruger #1-B that I bought new years ago and fiddled with on and off for many years until it now finally exhibits acceptable accuracy (1.00" five shot groups at 100 yards with a 6x18 variable Leupold scope).
Personally I would now opt for the much easier to obtain 17 Hornet cartridge/Rifles.
And I must pass along thanks for the CampFirer who suggested years ago that I try "nickel plated (cured the neck tension problems/aspect?) 22 Hornet brass and Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullets" to take my Ruger #1-B from being a long time 2.5 M.O.A. Rifle to a 1.0 M.O.A. Rifle.
Best of luck to you with your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I just have to ask - what kind of an idiot is "small twig" - he seems to relish dunking his Rifles, scopes and slings into the water of ANY river, pond or lake he can find?
I mean I have NEVER seen that kind of intentionally idiotic abuse of a firearm EVER, in my 65+ years of Hunting with, handling, shooting and caring for firearms!
And I have Hunted in southeast Alaska NUMEROUS times along with a half century of Hunting in the rain of the western slopes of the Cascade Mountains and the rain forests of the Olympic Penninsula.
I have NEVER seen an outdoorsman or Hunter or plinker intentionally put their firearms into the water of a lake, pond, stream or river EVER!
I must contend ONLY an idiot (small twig!) would do such a stupid thing.
And that is a sad, but informative, commentary on the trustworthiness and state of mind of small twig.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VarmintGal,

You are simply a Lying Sack Of Clueless Fhuqking Schit. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Live2hunt941: Over the last 50+ years I have owned MANY different brands of Rifles in 22 Hornet including Ruger (3 models), Winchester (2 models), Anschutz, Kimber and savage.
My conclusion "accuracy can and often will be hard to obtain" with the 22 Hornet. NOT impossible, but hard!
Of all of the 22 Hornets I now own my favorite is a beautifully stocked Ruger #1-B that I bought new years ago and fiddled with on and off for many years until it now finally exhibits acceptable accuracy (1.00" five shot groups at 100 yards with a 6x18 variable Leupold scope).
Personally I would now opt for the much easier to obtain 17 Hornet cartridge/Rifles.
And I must pass along thanks for the CampFirer who suggested years ago that I try "nickel plated (cured the neck tension problems/aspect?) 22 Hornet brass and Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullets" to take my Ruger #1-B from being a long time 2.5 M.O.A. Rifle to a 1.0 M.O.A. Rifle.
Best of luck to you with your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I just have to ask - what kind of an idiot is "small twig" - he seems to relish dunking his Rifles, scopes and slings into the water of ANY river, pond or lake he can find?
I mean I have NEVER seen that kind of intentionally idiotic abuse of a firearm EVER, in my 65+ years of Hunting with, handling, shooting and caring for firearms!
And I have Hunted in southeast Alaska NUMEROUS times along with a half century of Hunting in the rain of the western slopes of the Cascade Mountains and the rain forests of the Olympic Penninsula.
I have NEVER seen an outdoorsman or Hunter or plinker intentionally put their firearms into the water of a lake, pond, stream or river EVER!
I must contend ONLY an idiot (small twig!) would do such a stupid thing.
And that is a sad, but informative, commentary on the trustworthiness and state of mind of small twig.

Damn, was hoping he was gone for good. This place is so much better without him. block him! All I see is the notice that he is being ignored. Don't waste your time engaging with him

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My Hornet is a Kimber of Oregon model 82 Custom Classic. I like it! Bought it sometime around 1989, no plans to sell it. It wears a 6x Swarovski scope and will make 1 in 100 yd groups with 45- 46 gr factory ammo. Does not like the lighter bullet loads.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Confession moment! I'm not a big Hornet fan. Came by my couple of them as "great gun models priced right". To share them here, under impetus of both having been referenced in this Thread.
The CZ, dated in '49 is a really sweet little rifle! Double set triggers function flawlessly. No personal experience shooting!
The Model 54, another gem! Just 'bit massive' for the chambering. The Lyman 48 is one of my favorite receiver sights & well suited to the 54 & 70 Winchester clan in general! Only downside, such leaving horrible 'open wound' if removing! Also not fired and perhaps cause for some greater caution in 'assuming' no feeding problems. My experience as utterly reliable for other chamberings in which I have 54 Models!

For shooting such classic models, better understanding the .22 Hornet impetus. Beyond, .222 just seeming more practical as eclipsing the Hornet round. Sorry if stepping on toes here.

Just my 'opine'!
Best & Happy Thanksgiving!
John

Attached Images
R46-3U.jpg (23.12 KB, 253 downloads)
R35-2U.jpg (17.04 KB, 254 downloads)
R440-2.jpg (28.5 KB, 254 downloads)
R440-3U.jpg (22.76 KB, 254 downloads)
R440-7.jpg (16.1 KB, 254 downloads)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.