Print Thread
Hop To
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Can I use my hornady dies in a Dillon 550 or 750? Also reading on Dillon dies, which die expands?

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, Most all oif the standard work on Dillon presses. I've never used a Dillon die and don't even own one. Most of my dies are either RCBS or Forster with a few Hornady's and one Lyman. All work.

Last edited by Bob338; 11/20/21.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Expander function when appropriate is incorporated in the powder drop station. Cartridge-specific powder funnels are included with each conversion kit.

Example: my 550 is currently set up for .38 Spl. Station one has a RCBS carbide sizer/decapper. Station 2 is for the Dillon powder funnel/die/powder measure. Station 3 has a RCBS bullet seat die. Using a Redding taper crimp die on station 4.

I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Ok so my hornady dies sets, i just wont use my expander die use the powder die? Trying to decide if i want a 550 or 750 press

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have a 650 and its easy to use my normal pace is around 500 rds per hour , I wouldn’t want to go any slower!

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Ok so my hornady dies sets, i just wont use my expander die use the powder die? Trying to decide if i want a 550 or 750 press

i faced the same question as you and after the advice from the fire i decided to cry once and went 750 and glad i did

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I have owned both presses. Sold the 750 because it was too easy for me to make mistakes on it that went unnoticed. The 550 is easier for me to slow down on and make sure everything is going well. To me it’s more important to make quality ammo versus quantity. I can still make plenty of ammo on the 550.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Islanderflyer

I have owned both presses. Sold the 750 because it was too easy for me to make mistakes on it that went unnoticed. The 550 is easier for me to slow down on and make sure everything is going well. To me it’s more important to make quality ammo versus quantity. I can still make plenty of ammo on the 550.

That makes zero sense. The machine doesn't have "senior moments", it doesn't make "unnoticed" mistakes.
The 550, on the other hand, can do double charges, missed primers, etc. because you are more involved.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Ok so my hornady dies sets, i just wont use my expander die use the powder die?

That's correct. Dillion has a specific powder funnel that does the expanding process while dispensing the powder charge.

Trying to decide if i want a 550 or 750 press

If you're doing a lot of one type of ammo, the 650 or 750 with a case feeder is the way to go. If you're doing a lot of smaller runs of several different types of ammo and chamberings, the 550 is faster/easier to change over and the caliber conversions are cheaper.

I used to have a 650, with caliber conversions for 9mm, .223, and .45ACP. It loaded ammo like a champ, but I grew tired of the change-overs. I now I run a pair of 550s, instead. I leave one 550 set up for small primers and the other one for large primers. Change-overs are quick and easy with extra tool heads.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had the 650 (which was replaced with the 750) and now have the 550.
You can mess up with either one ( or at least I can) As stated above the 550 is easier to correct your mess up with than the 650/750 but you can still correct your error with them as well. I found that if i look at your rounds as you are starting up and once you have come all the way down, I don't mess up near as much as when I go "brain dead" and just work the handle.
For me, I tend to load about a primer tubes worth and take a short break and do it again. If I try to pump things out in a marathon fashion, I make more mistakes.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
Ok so my hornady dies sets, i just wont use my expander die use the powder die?

That's correct. Dillion has a specific powder funnel that does the expanding process while dispensing the powder charge.

Trying to decide if i want a 550 or 750 press

If you're doing a lot of one type of ammo, the 650 or 750 with a case feeder is the way to go. If you're doing a lot of smaller runs of several different types of ammo and chamberings, the 550 is faster/easier to change over and the caliber conversions are cheaper.

I used to have a 650, with caliber conversions for 9mm, .223, and .45ACP. It loaded ammo like a champ, but I grew tired of the change-overs. I now I run a pair of 550s, instead. I leave one 550 set up for small primers and the other one for large primers. Change-overs are quick and easy with extra tool heads.

Same here - one 550 for large primers; one for small primers, and tool heads with dies and powder measure installed for every caliber I choose to load on the 550s.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tbear99

i faced the same question as you and after the advice from the fire i decided to cry once and went 750 and glad i did

Same here.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Islanderflyer

That makes zero sense. The machine doesn't have "senior moments", it doesn't make "unnoticed" mistakes.
The 550, on the other hand, can do double charges, missed primers, etc. because you are more involved.

This ^ ^

I've witnessed 3 shooters severely damage 1911 45s, and themselves some, and heard of three others. All these were caused by a double charge. One common thing to all 6 cases was the ammo was loaded on a 550. These would likely have been avoided with a press that auto advanced. I know millions of rounds have been loaded on 550s without incident. I also know I would not want a progressive press that didn't auto advance. I've owned a 650, a 1050, and currently load all my handgun ammo on Square Deals. I do have a 550 that I got in a trade about 15 years ago. I've never set it up.

Dennis.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,748
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.