Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tell un Big Stick....

Where do you get those red barrel condoms ?

Black electrical is cheaper hint hint....

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was running to an Eye Exam when I talked to you in the store this morning and I forgot to grab some '33,for a certain .284" and 190 Beer Cans. Need to double back and check Mail,while yarding same home.

Typically,Base Manufacturers do a suplizingly good job,in regards to concentricity. Rifle Makers drop ALL sorts of balls,in regards to same,especially amongst those with differing bridge heights by literal design. Those woes ain't a Lapping Party Fix,thus the affinity for eccentrics and their stalwart sanctity. Nice to eek inclination,unbind a tube and bolster internals,all at the same fhuqking time. Everything below zero on the erector,is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint.

Pass The 'Horn Rings and hold the fhuqking Fluff,even if you gotta fire up a 'Horn File,for non 1913 bases. Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I WANT "crooked" bases,because that's how inclination is garnered. Hint........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What good comes from bedding two piece scope bases with out some way to check and see if they are dead level with the bore ?

Fact your bedding voOdoo might even push the bases off pefect level with the bore.

Bedding a scope lapping bar to your rings is a little tOo much fluff....

Why bother lapping just bed ?

Too much hoOdoo for me...

We sent a man to the moOn years ago no discoveries left for yOu Al.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
What good comes from bedding two piece scope bases with out some way to check and see if they are dead level with the bore ?

Fact your bedding voOdoo might even push the bases off pefect level with the bore.

Bedding a scope lapping bar to your rings is a little tOo much fluff....why bother lapping just bed ?

Too much hoOdoo for me...we sent a man to the moOn years ago no discoveries left for yOu Al.

LFC The bases will contact the receiver as before bedding but any space or void will be filled by the epoxy providing 100% contact hopefully eliminating any movement.

Last edited by FWP; 11/20/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a SBE 1 drilled and tapped for a scope 20 years ago....when I picked the gun up the gunsmith had bedded the Talley bases to the action.

The bases on a SBE don't come close to making full contact so he went the extra mile and epoxied them on.

Problem I have with the base bedding claim is it fixing an accuracy problem....if a base after being lock tite'd and torqued in place rOcks and rolls on the action you have bigger problems.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

It’s not rocket science it’s simply good practice to have materials mate (fit) correctly.

The other thing - Ring marks - if you bed your scope in the rings with bedding compound the likelihood of leaving a ring mark is about zero … unless you are using steel rings with 3 or more screws you can’t put enough pressure on a well fitted ring to bend the tube.

Personally I like bedding rings MORE than lapping them extensively…

Most precision shooting type smiths (not table top gunsmiths) know about bedding rings… so just ask them if they can do it for you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's few things more "HORRIFYING!" than a "dreaded" "mark" upon one's scope tube. Give or fhuqking take. Hint.

60 MoMo's inclination,(5) base fasteners,(12) ring fasteners,likely some nail polish,perhaps some tape and mebbe even a DREADED "scratch". Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Shot (1) group on 100yd paper,then rallied it,like you "get" to read about. Hint.

FooFoo Fluff Fhuqkery really ain't my jam,mainly because I actually fhuqking shoot. I assuredly love Al,but I've personally puked (8) sets of LW's and everyone I know who actually shoots,has puked a set. Though admittedly,these ain't Bench Queen Affairs or Haybale & Crockett "Adventures". Hint.

'Horn Rings are THE greatest gift one can hand a scope. Conjoin same with a ruggedly reliable base and glass that'll stubbornly retain zero,track and repeat and schit gets pretty fhuqking easy,pretty fhuqking QUICK. hint.

I reckon it's easy for me to say,if only because I shoot it all and then some. Hint..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bigstick looks like some critter chewed your muzzle condom.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I assuredly love Al,but I've personally puked (8) sets of LW's and everyone I know who actually shoots,has puked a set.

'Stick...now you're makin' me blush! blush grin

These cured yesterday....square bolt, light weight rings for .180 cross slot Weaver bases. Properly bedded, they have more contact area on the scope tube than rings double the width. Full contact, no stress goodness!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Even my Kelblys and Harrels get treated: wink

Just finishing up this little 'bedding job' too...refitting a glued-in sleeved Remington to a pillar bedded bolt in:

Stay warm up there, buddy! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
-21 at work and 50 at the house,for a nice ambient swing. Hint.(grin)

I'm awaiting an MTU 280,(4) Seex Kreed Waypoints,a 357 Lever Gun and have a new 7" RPM 223AI James spout to toss aboard sumptin'. It's rough..........................(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This Savage 12FV recceiver was a real mess. On the good side, the receiver was at least round and the same diameter front and rear. The bad news....the base mounting holes were neither aligned with the 'X' axis or aligned with each other....the front pointed 5 degrees one way and the rear 3 degrees the other direction. After establishing the center line, opening up the 6-48 screw holes to 8-40's took care of the misalignment so at least the base mounting holes were aligned with each other.

You know what happened next....... wink

You can just see a hint of the bedding under the bases.

With the w/e adjustments centered on the scope and bore sighting down the barrel at 100 yds, the first shot at 100 yds. was 2" high and about 2 1/2" left. Pretty good alignment, considering the Savage barrel nut lash up. crazy

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm not seeing any recoil lugs on those bases hope she's not a hard kicker...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Keeping rings from moving on bases....not much of a hill for even an average climber. wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Al, you’d better be judicious with that Acragel, Brownells hasn’t had any in stock for 6 months now……😊

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Al, you’d better be judicious with that Acragel, Brownells hasn’t had any in stock for 6 months now……😊

Yeah....they do have the 64 oz. resin and hardener in stock but for my limited uses of it, it's a bit much.

Sourced some powdered Nylon from a pal that uses it in his 3D printing business and have been experimenting with mix ratios in the Pro Bed for bedding the scope tubes. My Panda pictured above was the first time I used it....seems to be right on the money for the characteristics I want for bedding the scope tubes.

Have a great Thanksgiving! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
tag

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Grapevine notes a MTU 280 shipping today,though the weather ain't gonna do The Pony Express any favors. This Kansas Dust is tough on transit! Hint.

LAUGHING!

Shout when the brass makes it to you,so I can scratch it offa my radar..................

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Shout when the brass makes it to you,so I can scratch it offa my radar..................

Will do....appreciate the thoughtfulness on your part, man.

I'll tip one of these this evening with a nod your direction and say: "Ich weiß es zu schätzen!" ("Thank you. I appreciate it.", in German) smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Why am I not surprised you drink peanut butter whiskey...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You call that a group? Why aren't they all touching? Did you call those flyers?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (69sportfury, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.