Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Local LGS has signs all over their ammo counter like that for several reasons. 1. Most places ammo is non returnable 2. Ammo shortage sees 1 time a year lots of unpopular rounds made and come thru the system like 7x57or 35 rem or 257R and many others. Guys that need ammo but also work for a living send their wives or some other ammo ignorant person to buy for them, have seen it countless times. Smart substitute buyers call who they are buying for and read the label to them on the phone or picture it and send the pic.
I have had 7mm Mags since 1970 I have never bought the wrong ammo and they have never let me down in the field either. You all want to badmouth them, hold the user responsible not the 7 mm Rem Magnum cartridge it's great. Gun manufacturers talk up new cartridges and get morons to buy them put the fault where it belongs. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You can shoot a 7mm-08 cartridge in a 30-06.

The brass isn’t suitable for reloading and you won’t know where the bullet hit but you can do it.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I missed where the cartridge was badmouthed.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
I missed where the cartridge was badmouthed.

So true. But consider the source.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Brad,

Evidently some of the typical old-time 7 Em Em guys are alive and still confused!

Though I am no fan of the 7mm Mauser, it does what it is supposed to do. It goes to show how wrong I have been, always thinking velocity meant everything. Finally going back to my first love, 308 Winchester, has reminded me of this with every pull of the trigger. While my collection of 7-08's, 280's, 280 AI's, 7 RSAUM's, 7 Wby's have all put meat in the freezer, I cannot deny the ability of a slower projectile works too.

Though I poke fun at the Mauser users I honestly respect them highly.

Why no love for the 7x57 when a few of what you shoot are so similar?

Don't really have a logical reason. Reckon it boils down to preference.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You can shoot a 7mm-08 cartridge in a 30-06.

The brass isn’t suitable for reloading and you won’t know where the bullet hit but you can do it.

You can also shoot 7mm-08 in an AR-10. My dad grabbed some of my ammo from the table thinking it was his and was wondering why he wasn’t getting any hits on his target. Told him it was probably the schitty Aguila ammo he had been shooting. Then I found I was missing some of my ammo and put it together.

Last edited by Futura; 11/07/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At a gun show a guy had a sign 303 brass for sale. He didn't have it on the table, It so happened that I was looking for 303 British brass. I asked which one it was, British or Savage. He looked at me and started ranting that the 303 British is not the same as the 303 Savage. He wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. His voice was elevated. Finally I decided I didn't want to buy anything from him and I walked away as he seemed agitated. I suspect the ammo was British but he never said. He kept talking to me louder and louder - I still heard him talking when I was a few tables away.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
At a gun show I saw a box of 7em em Weatherby brass with a price tag of $3. (Once fired) Opened the box to see how many were there were. Box was full. Every case head was black, some had no primers. Pulled one out to see. Shoulder looked like a 7 em em Remington mag and the case mouth ws severly crimped. Yes you can fire a 7mm Weatherby in a Remington chamber! I should have bought this just for the fun of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad,

Evidently some of the typical old-time 7 Em Em guys are alive and still confused!

Though I am no fan of the 7mm Mauser, it does what it is supposed to do. It goes to show how wrong I have been, always thinking velocity meant everything. Finally going back to my first love, 308 Winchester, has reminded me of this with every pull of the trigger. While my collection of 7-08's, 280's, 280 AI's, 7 RSAUM's, 7 Wby's have all put meat in the freezer, I cannot deny the ability of a slower projectile works too.

Don't really have a logical reason. Reckon it boils down to preference.

Fair enough. We can be a quirky bunch, myself included.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I happen to know that a .222 round will chamber and fire in a .223 whistle

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And a 7 emem Rem will fire in a 7stw...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
I'm from Alabama and my first deer rifle in 1983 was a Ruger tang safety 7X57. For many years when I answered the question "what are you shooting" they would give me a puzzled look and then ask "is that bigger than a seven mag?"

Still have the rifle.

You sound like the old gun expert in the movie 'Shooter'", "still got the shovel!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend wanted to borrow my 338wm for a hunt in Nevada. We went to the range he sighted in his 30/06 and then moved on to my 338. First round he jumps back and says something is wrong with your rifle. I see he still has some 06 rounds on the bench. I said “ you put a 06 round in it” He denied it so I opened the bolt and handed him the case with out even looking. Guess what it was? Still have the case.
Another time a friend asked it I could look at his buddies rifle. He brings me a very nice 03 Springfield, gun was custom with engraving and a really nice stock. The bolt had came out on a hunt and was lost for a big part of the day.
He tells me the rifle was a 308 Winchester. I asked are you sure? He says he has always used 308. So I stick a 30/06 dummy and close the bolt. I couldn’t believe the gun was still intact. Never got to see the brass after it had been fired.
Had another friend shoot a 22 hornet in a 223, he gave me that case. I may still have it somewhere.
I try to learn from others mistakes.
Oh another friend use to sell ammo at gun shows. People would always try to describe what military rifle they had and want to know what cartridge they needed. He would always sell the 7mm Rem Mag. Said if they were to stupid to know what ammo they needed it was better to sell them a round they couldn’t chamber. Never had anyone bring the ammo back

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 308 Marlin was a nightmare too,
a lot of people thought it was a 308

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I track quite a few online auctions here in KY. I watched a 500 count box of Xtream plated 9mm bullets bid up past $400. I really wanted to see the look on that guy’s face when he realized that he spent over $400 for a $46 box.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by slm9s
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
I'm from Alabama and my first deer rifle in 1983 was a Ruger tang safety 7X57. For many years when I answered the question "what are you shooting" they would give me a puzzled look and then ask "is that bigger than a seven mag?"

Still have the rifle.

You sound like the old gun expert in the movie 'Shooter'", "still got the shovel!"

That was me in Shooter. 😁

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
30-30 will go bang in a 7.62x54R.........

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Brad,

"Like" has little to do with logic. I have had a 700 in .243 for over 40 years now, and have killed caribou, sheep, black bear, moose with it. I never warmed to it, though it just keeps killing and killing and killing.Real pretty stock on it, that I made in gunsmithing school.

I love the 725 I have in .260 (rebarreled from .244) . Ugly stock and all.

My first and only 7 Mag was a gift - new - Mossberg I think, with a terrible stock. Kicked the snot out of me. I sold it after firing a half box. I've never liked the caliber since. I did try to buy one some years late r- it was a Husquavarna built right, low felt recoil, and a 3 shot/one holer. Bastard wouldn't sell it - and here I went and fixed it. I no longer remember what work he required, but I wanted THAT one!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Brad,

If Montana had a standing army it would be made up of confused old guys with 7 Em Em's!

You’d think Montana would be a state of riflemen, not the Gang Who Couldn’t Shoot Straight. 😉

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
As long as nobody got hurt (even the dummies) ,this sort of stuff can be pretty amusing. Should have a separate category for
“ who’d of thought “ at the gun shop and range stories.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 27 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,624
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.