Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sitting in a box blind yesterday afternoon and about a 1/2 hour before the end of legal shooting light i see movement on a logging road. This was about 75-80 yards away. The was some dried cobbed corn on the roadbed. It was a Bobcat , and a big one at that. About the size of a german short hair. I put the crosshairs on it and watched it. It took a piss in the corn!
We , meaning my best friend and who also owns the land , my wife ,sonand myself have been having an "off" year on this land. It is usually very productive. Several 8-11 pointers have been killed here over the years.It is only 40 acres ,but it is long and kinda narrow and bordered by a high tension power line that we can hunt. Effectively making it hunt much larger than it is. It is also out in the boondocks.
We have feeders,food plots and all box blinds and are careful about leave no trace. stuff like pee in a jug and bring it out with you. There that sets the stage for my ?
Is it possible that this large bobcat being around has the deer spooked. I had the crosshairs on him for 15 to 20 seconds and it was legal to shoot but I passed. (Wish I had of shot now) .
A friend up in Va, shot a (weighed) 45lb'er and this was was ever bit as big.

Also we have never seen a coyote there. It wouldn't last long before dying of lead poisoning.

Shoot or not?

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Absolutely shoot.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it was legal and you had a shot then it is up to you. As for me, I ran a trapline as a kid and made my spending $$$ trapping fox, coyote and bobcats. Last bobcat I shot I had done as a lifesize mount since the furbuyers didn't want to pay any real $$$ for him. I will never shoot or trap another one. I think they are a really cool animal to have around and a bobcat is NO threat to a healthy full grown deer. He would have gotten a pass from me.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't speak for other regions

Around here, bobcats and coyotes eat whatever
is too slow
They eat deer, livestock, many pets of every size,
whatever they run across

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MAC
If it was legal and you had a shot then it is up to you. As for me, I ran a trapline as a kid and made my spending $$$ trapping fox, coyote and bobcats. Last bobcat I shot I had done as a lifesize mount since the furbuyers didn't want to pay any real $$$ for him. I will never shoot or trap another one. I think they are a really cool animal to have around and a bobcat is NO threat to a healthy full grown deer. He would have gotten a pass from me.

Ha Ha ,I did think of that. It went thru my mind if I pull the trigger it's gonna cost me several Hundred $$$.

" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm on the fence on this one. I guess it just depends on how you feel at the time. I have shot several. And I have let the last 2 or 3 walk. I don't like the fact that they kill and eat small game. They are pretty cool to watch. One time I had one walk up and start rolling around in a fresh scrape that I was hunting over. He most have fooled around rubbing in that scrape for 10 minutes. When it got dark I climbed down from my stand and meet up with my hunting buddy. I told him what I had seen and that I probably should have shot the bobcat. He told me that he doesn't shoot them any more either. He explained that what if a nice buck was close by and heading your way. If you shot the bobcat he would have headed for the hills and you would have blown an opportunity at a buck. Makes sense, so I don't shoot them anymore when I"m in a deer stand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MAC
Adult deer, no. But have you noticed the game bird and small game numbers are way down?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Same as any coyote I see from the stand. Have killed coyotes and had deer come in within minutes.

Dead pussy.

I have no use for em as I deer hunt and turkey hunt the same places. Guaranteed they are hard on turkeys.

One place I hunt has cats, coyotes and a nesting pair of bald eagles. Any legal predators are dead on sight.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/20/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Shoot what you want. Only thing I will shoot at while deer hunting is a nice eater pig or a nilgai

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[But have you noticed the game bird and small game numbers are way down?

Utter BS to blame that on something like bobcats. Bobcats have been preying on small game animals and birds for a heck of a lot longer than both you and I have been on this earth. That is their role in nature. Bobcats do what nature designed them to do and intends for them to do and as such they will not seriously alter the ecosystem. Habitat destruction by people will have a bigger impact on small game and birds than a natural predator will. Look at the farming techniques today vice what they were 40 years ago. Fencerows are pretty much a thing of the past. Ditches get burned. Crops planted from fence to fence with no weed filled corners.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[But have you noticed the game bird and small game numbers are way down?

Utter BS to blame that on something like bobcats. Bobcats have been preying on small game animals and birds for a heck of a lot longer than both you and I have been on this earth. That is their role in nature. Bobcats do what nature designed them to do and intends for them to do and as such they will not seriously alter the ecosystem. Habitat destruction by people will have a bigger impact on small game and birds than a natural predator will. Look at the farming techniques today vice what they were 40 years ago. Fencerows are pretty much a thing of the past. Ditches get burned. Crops planted from fence to fence with no weed filled corners.

Yep. The practice of fence to fence farming and habitat destruction, along with Fireants from S America making it to the USA is the main cause for the decline of quail populations in the South. And the introduction of feral hogs into the equation.

That being said, Bobcats get a pass here on the Ranch. I enjoy seeing them. Killed plenty when I was a kid while trapping and hunting.
Coyotes and Hogs DON’T get a free pass though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dead kitty

Hunt...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep i would have killed the BOBCAT but i got to watch a big fisher for few days but did not shoot him mainly because fishers eat red squirrels and porcupines up here.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I usually don't shoot coons - possums when I'm deer hunting but the rest of the varmints die.

Life is good live it while you can.
SPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To each their own, but generally speaking, I do not kill what I do not plan to eat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't generally shoot bobcats now unless I have a reason.

Just seeing them is more fun than shooting them.

I guess if I'd never taken one I would.

Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I don't generally shoot bobcats now unless I have a reason.

Just seeing them is more fun than shooting them.

I guess if I'd never taken one I would.

It's the only one I have ever seen, that wasn't already dead.

NRA Life, GOA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i will kill every predator I can

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shoot the bobcat and save a turkey

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah Spring turkey hunting is my favorite and bobcats are hard on them so i shoot every legal bobcat i get an opportunity at.....Hb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,598 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,818
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.