Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Finally, after trying since spring, I had a consult appointment with the back orthopedic docs in the big city of Redding to the west of here about a 3 hr drive. A friend has used this Doc to good advantage. Had hopes to button this all up before winter and really bad weather hits.

Left home about 0830 or so, raining, 40F or so, therefore no snow and ice going over 4 passes on 299 on the way to Redding. Cool, I like that idea.

Drive an hour and half or so, stop at Hat Creek park to pee, back on the road in a few minutes. Probably have time for lunch, but not a Costco trip, before appt time. Not speeding more than a couple MPH over the signage limit. Got to a spot with a commercial box truck in front of me, guy in a big Dodge PU riding my ass around corners and such. At the passing lane I get by the box truck, let the Dodge fly by, and proceed into the very curvy section along Cow Creek, approaching the metropolis of Ingot CA (look that one up wink ). After about 2-3 turns the Dodge was nowhere in sight, so I was able to proceed at my pace.

Probably about 5 miles through the curve, I came upon a sweeping left, entered it, seem to recall a jiggle or slight jerk in the steering, then the start of a spin across the center line. I counter steered and kept the car from doing a complete spin, but ran out of room and hit the dirt along the creek side of the highway. Next thing I know it was going over the edge, over large rip-rap armoring the creek bank, and then I was upside down in the creek with water coming in the car. It's mostly a shallow creek, but there are some deep spots and as there was water coming up the driver's side window, the upstream side, I figured I better get out NOW. Pulled the seat belt for a bit of slack and popped the catch, scrambled over to the downstream passenger door, which budged an inch or two, then stopped, letting in even more water. I had a cheap knife with some of the liner metal sticking out of the handle, tried that as a window breaker, no luck. I then just told myself I WILL push that door open. And it worked.

After getting the door open I half crawled out, getting a bit of water in my face, then stepped out and stood up on rocks and boulders in water up to my belt at times. I watched the cardboard box I kept on the seat float downstream, it just kept some everyday stuff in it, like water bottles and such. Couldn't get up the bank right where the car went in, due to the blackberry bushes and willow trees. Went downstream a little ways, 20-30 yards maybe, and found a more clear path over the rip-rap (3' diameter boulders and such) so I could get to the road and get some help on the way.

Lucky for me, a passenger in a car going the other direction saw the car overturned in the creek, the driver went a little ways and turned around and came back. As I was about 1/3 way up perhaps, I heard voices, looked up and there were 5 guys there. Mexicans. No more disparaging of Mexicans around here. A couple of them scrabbled down and gave me a hand up the rocks to the road. Between one guy's pretty decent English and my poor Spanish I was able to let them know what happened and that I was the only person involved. No cell service in that canyon, probably for 5 miles in either direction. The local 15 passenger bus came by and stopped, the driver said she'd call when she got to the store to the east where there was service. I was soaked, wearing just a t-shirt and my Wrangler Riggs cargo shorts, no shoes as I drive barefoot and the sandals were not on my mind as the car was flooding.

Got across the road to the guys' car, they found me a light jacket I put on after taking off my shirt. One of the guys gave me a pair of flip-flops he had in the car. Our biggest worry was another car coming around that corner at speed and panicking and spinning out again. About that time a Cal-Fire engine showed up, had their lights going, moved over to the other side of the road and gave me a pack to sit on while they checked my health. I was bleeding a bit, as I'm on thinners, so every little scratch from the rocks and brambles was trying to leak. The two kids on the engine decided they needed to practice their wound dressing, so I got BIG friggen gauze and tape bandages on my calf, right wrist , and left elbow (which has a nice scrap on it, covered with a large band aid now). Some nice lady had stopped too, and had a blanket to put around me until the Capt on the engine found one of theirs.

Lucky for me, I had put my wallet back in my front pocket when stopping for the pee break earlier. Unfortunately, phone, checkbook, and the little notebook that resides in a back pocket were sitting on the passenger seat. And a sling bag with some extra ammo, (Kyle trial verdict prep) clean undies, a little snack food, spare flashlight, immodium and Tylenol was stuffed behind the front seat. Called the towing company tonight, they have the checkbook and sling bag, not sure about other things that may still be in the car at their yard. Not open until Monday, so I'll try to find a ride back then.

Eventually, a Supervisor from the EMT folks showed up, then 3 CHP officers. I started getting some treatment, had a talk with the CHP about the little pistol in my pocket, when we walked across the road to look at the accident. Was told to give it to Security at the hospital (no doubt, they didn't want the hassle of custody until I could get it back).

Funny thing, every one, from the Mexicans, the blanket lady, Cal-Fire, Popo, and EMTs thought I must be freezing cold. Buncha lowlanders, I told them heck, this (probably 50F+) was pretty warm compared to places I've been and things I've done. Heck, it was 17F at my house the morning before all this hoopla.

Then took a bambalance ride to Redding, 1/2 or so, and into the ER, where I was given pretty good service considering ERs in bigger towns. Damndest thing for me was not being allowed to go use the head when I needed to, as they didn't want me to get up until they got the x-rays and CT scans read. I hate laying on a gurney/bed peeing in a jug. And I'd had a coupla cups of good coffee before the scheidt hit the fan.

Outside of a big knot on my shoulder, likely hit it on the attachment point on the door post for the shoulder strap, and strain from the shoulder harness across my chest, most everything is superficial scratches and bruises. Everyone thinks I should really be hurtin' and laid up, I tell my wife, and friends and relatives that understand these things, I've hurt worse after a couple of fights I've been in. But those were all 34 + years ago! I'm OLD now, so maybe I really do hurt but I'm just not willing to let it stop life.

My wife is a trooper, after contacting her and my sister, both of whose numbers I happen to have memorized still, gathered up the whippets and made the drive to Redding, heading into the sunset, with asshat drivers making time for the weekend. She picked me up in time to get a motel room, find a Petsmart to get some food for the pooches, and hit the hay before 9PM. Made the drive back today, wasn't safe to stop and get pics of the accident site. I'm hoping the tow company has some of the car in the creek. My phone camera likely didn't take any underwater ones.

One never knows if the little ball in the lottery machine is going to come up with one's number on any given day. So, tell your loved ones you love them frequently, kiss your wife goodbye every time you part, and maybe wear your seatbelt. Going over the bank, crashing into boulders and willows, and then flipping over is not an adventure I'd want to be on without being strapped in.

No pics of the accident as I said, but one of the knot on my shoulder. Because, as renegade says...............Pics, or it didn't happen

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Holy smokes man, glad you're not drowned!

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad your OK !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Shìt!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez, Geno. Glad you're okay.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Pull yer damn shorts up.....

I am MAGA.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good thing I didn't have to bend over for the plumbers' view.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang Geno! Happy to see you survived.

Remember Freidrich Engels: "That which does not kill you makes you stronger!"

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Valsdad,

I know we haven't seen eye to eye on everything over the past year. It doesn't matter to me and hope you can overlook it too.
When I mentioned the links below in my signature, they were meant to be a blessing to anyone who might face a challenge like you did. It's just good that you are doing well and able to report here.

The videos are real short.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang Geno glad your ok. Sounds like it could have been alot worse

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Them Cal Fire boys ain't no slouches.

Are you gonna be able to fine another beige 88 Volvo?

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Cheer up...it could'a been the Pit River Bluffs...then we'd be reading about in the obituaries. Glad you made it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeez man, so happy to hear you made it out intact with only minor injuries. It could have been much worse and we'd be without the smartest guy at the Fire.
Take it easy and get healed up before you go car shopping.
Really Geno, take care, this place wouldn't be the same without you.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Valsdad,

I know we haven't seen eye to eye on everything over the past year. It doesn't matter to me and hope you can overlook it too.
When I mentioned the links below in my signature, they were meant to be a blessing to anyone who might face a challenge like you did. It's just good that you are doing well and able to report here.

The videos are real short.

You fugging chickenshit.

Me an Geno are Roman Catholics.

So....fugg off.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geno;
Good grief man!!

I'm glad to read you're okay.

Ugh, going into the water isn't a good thing at all.

Thanks for letting us know you're okay though.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dude....... glad that's all it was....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Cheer up...it could'a been the Pit River Bluffs...then we'd be reading about in the obituaries. Glad you made it.

Or worse yet...some crazy liberal bitch coulda mistaken Geno for a small black child and driven off the cliff.

You know...to save him from Racism.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had a few close call in my day. It sure makes you think about what's really important. You dodged a huge bullet, looks to me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Damn Geno!!! I’m glad you’re ok. If it helps I know exactly where Ingot is…

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Them Cal Fire boys ain't no slouches.

Are you gonna be able to fine another beige 88 Volvo?

Fugger,

it was our 2004 (late '03) Toyota Matrix. With ONLY 230000 miles on it, excellent body for the age of the vehicle, 36 MPG, daily driver I decided to keep when we got the wife the new car in 2016. Save putting miles on that and the Tacoma when we just have to go to town for groceries and scheidt.

It was the first brand new vehicle we were able to afford after getting together as starving students in '96 and traveling around the country with work and such in an 84 Subaru wagon and '86 2WD 'yota p/u. Both purchased used with over 100K miles on them.

Got home today, looked out the window, and told the wife. "Weird looking out and not seeing that car out there".

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.