Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dassa
I started watching the show until they explained that some guy ruined everything, but the women were there to save the day. Sounded like some woke crap I wouldn't enjoy.

The storyline in the books is a lot more complex than that lol, but strong female characters abound. I was afraid that’s the bend they’d take the show, but it hasn’t been too bad in that respect so far.

MAGA

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I believe you are correct Springcove.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
Read the first five or six books and had the "he's milking this forever" moment most readers have, sooner or later, with that series.

Agreed. Though I only made it through book three. The show has been better than the first episode suggested it would be despite [bleep] woke casting

Yup.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I've read the whole series, found them pretty enjoyable although obviously some books were better than others. Was really looking forward to the show, it'll be the first one I actually sit down to watch since last winter.

I've watched the first two episodes and honestly they haven't done too badly so far. It's almost an impossible task to do the series justice without making the series far longer and more expensive than is practical. Not all the characters look like I'd pictured them, but then I realize I picture them somewhat differently than the author described them anyway. I didn't think it necessary to have Perrin married, and I think sticking with the mist in Shadar Logoth would have been better than whatever that black stuff was supposed to be. Other than that, I think they've done ok.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have not read the books but am watching the series.
It’s not too bad

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never heard of it. I clicked on this thread thinking to find .........A huge wheel getting ready to run me over!

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by krp
Don't remember the small mountain village populated with 3 or 4 different races.

Kent

Yep, lots of wokeness in anything they put to film these days.

I enjoyed the books a LOT. But I have never read the last three by the ghostwriter.

I got the impression that TOR books offered a contract, outlined the world and plot. Then Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind both offered a series to complete the contract.

There may be nothing to this theory, but Jordan's "Wheel of Time" is very similar in many ways to Goddkind's "Sword of Truth".

I enjoyed both series of books immensely. But as the volumes were released concurrently over the years, memories of one tend to become conflated with memories of the other.

I no longer own "The Wheel of Time" books. I think I might have sent them home with my brother. "The "Sword of Truth" series still reside in softcover on a bookshelf.

As to the Amazon series currently being released, I did watch the first three episodes Thursday evening. I enjoyed it a lot. I think the first season is ten episodes and shall encompass the first book of the series. (about 800 pages???)

Much like Peter Jackson's work with LOR, all a director can do with a volume of this size is to replicate a few scenes from the book for visual entertainment. There is no way to convey all the nuances of the story. A person really must read the books first, then just enjoy the visualizations.

I also recentlydiscovered the rendition of Issac Asimov's "Foundation" on Apple TV. Since I read "Foundation" when I was 12 years old over fifty years ago. My memories of the book are pretty thin, and my understanding of the story was somewhat limited at the time.

But I am enjoying this production as well.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by dassa
I started watching the show until they explained that some guy ruined everything, but the women were there to save the day. Sounded like some woke crap I wouldn't enjoy.

The storyline in the books is a lot more complex than that lol, but strong female characters abound. I was afraid that’s the bend they’d take the show, but it hasn’t been too bad in that respect so far.

I might give it a bit more than the two minutes or so already invested.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Guys, I have no opinion on WoT as I have never read it.
But if any of you are up for a good, long series try The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
It starts out pretty ordinary and a bit scattered as he begins building the foundation of a much greater plot.
But even then its interesting. It really takes off around book 7, and has a long stretch of A+ novels from 9 on.
He's up to 17 with a few more to go before he caps it with a finishing trilogy.
Book 1 was his first book (actually a homework assignment that got published) and you can see his progression as a writer along with the development of the plot and characters.

Not trying to hijack the thread...
Please return to your existing topic of conversation. 💪

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So far the tv show is shidt. But that’s always going to be the case trying to put a book, most especially a series this long and complex, to film. But it could be way worse.

They had to condense and simplify a lot of the plot, or else no one would watch it.

I'm hoping they condense and simplify the plot. I got through the first 8 books, then realized that in the last 4,500 pages exactly ONE thing had happened that moved the plot along. So I, like so many others, bailed. That was 20 years ago and I haven't touched them since.

They can't possibly meander around as much as the books, which would be a good thing.

Last edited by natman; 11/23/21.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Read the first five or six books and had the "he's milking this forever" moment most readers have, sooner or later, with that series.

I made it through book three and said to myself this guy is going to write these books until he drops dead. And I'll be damned if that isn't exactly what happened. Final count was around 14 books if I remember. And if Jordan was still alive now book 21 would be coming out this year with "STILL" no end in sight. What a shamless low talent hack the guy was. Never regretted stoopping after 3 books. Should have stopped after one.

But it was an epic series that anything written after is measured against.

No. No it isn't. It's true legacy is that for every 1 fanboy that likes it there are 5 people who found it cliched, boring, and a shamelessly stretched out cash grab by a hack writer milking his one and only remaining cash cow.

I'm hoping they condense and simplify the plot. I got through the first 8 books, then realized that in the last 4,500 pages exactly ONE thing had happened that moved the plot along. So I, like so many others, bailed.

The casting looks to be suffering from the typical wokeness that infests most shows these days. But the show does have a potential advantage as you mentioned. It would have to move along at a much faster pace than the books. Hell from what I remember a season one of about 10 episodes could cover everything that happens in the first three books.

Last edited by Willto; 11/22/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are there sledding scenes?

LOL
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2

No but there’s a scene where this real tough dude’s wife calls him a lazy sack of schit and all the other characters laugh.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Willto

I made it through book three and said to myself this guy is going to write these books until he drops dead. And I'll be damned if that isn't exactly what happened. Final count was around 14 books if I remember. And if Jordan was still alive now book 21 would be coming out this year with "STILL" no end in sight. What a shamless low talent hack the guy was. Never regretted stoopping after 3 books. Should have stopped after one.

But it was an epic series that anything written after is measured against.

No. No it isn't. It's true legacy is that for every 1 fanboy that likes it there are 5 people who found it cliched, boring, and a shamelessly stretched out cash grab by a hack writer milking his one and only remaining cash cow.

I'm hoping they condense and simplify the plot. I got through the first 8 books, then realized that in the last 4,500 pages exactly ONE thing had happened that moved the plot along. So I, like so many others, bailed.

The casting looks to be suffering from the typical wokeness that infests most shows these days. But the show does have a potential advantage as you mentioned. It would have to move along at a much faster pace than the books. Hell from what I remember a season one of about 10 episodes could cover everything that happens in the first three books.

LOL, sorry you feel that way. Stick to simpler books I'm sure you'll be more satisfied. I'm not here to defend the series, lots of folks didn't read them through for a lot of reasons. Just wanted to contrast my opinion of the new show with them that read the books, not suffer through whining haters haha.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Fireball2

No but there’s a scene where this real tough dude’s wife calls him a lazy sack of schit and all the other characters laugh.

and laugh and laugh and laugh

But I'm not going to discuss that on the internet.

MAGA
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Is there just 3 episodes out?

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read them as they came out many moons ago, then slowly moved away from them. I finally finished them all thanks to audio books over the last year. I think Brandon Sanderson did an admirable job finishing the series. haven't decided whether to watch the show or not.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by krp
Is there just 3 episodes out?

Kent

Yes. A new episode due each Friday. I think for a total of ten.

I have seen no word if the series has been picked up for next season. If it is anything like Sword of Truth, they only made two seasons of that one.

Anyone else find the book series severely lacking after the loss of Moraine??????

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
If I were just getting into reading, or this genre I don’t know that I’d love the series as much as I do now honestly. It’s mighty slow. But he builds a world very well.

At the time, before ebooks, and audio books there wasn’t much that was this good. Nobody writing this genre now didn’t read this series

The books didn’t really get into race, except the aiel. There is plenty of room for the show to cast black or darker skinned actors without it being a departure honestly. But a lot of the plot comes down to bloodlines, and no way would the Two Rivers be as diverse as portrayed. It was a backwater mountain village.

I understand the need to advance the story so people will tune in, but the departures from the books that have happened so far are a little frustrating. Tam was short shrifted, and the lack of significance to his sword for example, and Perrin being married etc. I’ll keep watching for now but I’m disappointed overall.

Read them all years ago. The first books especially quite a while ago so I don't remember them as well. I actually liked how Sanderson tied things up but maybe I was just glad it got finished. Agree in general on all points regarding the show.

Regarding the men being blamed for what happened and women saving the day - it's far more complicated than that in the books, but it's a legitimate point of view depending on a character's point of view. Jury's still out on whether the show will go full on woke, but that in and of itself isn't so damning within the context of the story.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
read them and liked the series up untill I had to wait 2 yrs for the nxt one to come out,, liked it well but they could simplify it very easy,, and stop with the un-pronouncable names,, damn,,, I stopped reading them in the mid 90's

I AM AMERICA!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.