Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was able to find quite a few posts on the B-78 within this forum. Great info on the trigger, takedown, hammer and scope clearance … most owners appreciated the accuracy and quality which outweighed the cons on trigger etc as previously mentioned.

Have an opportunity for a round barrel in 22-250, bluing is near perfect and stock is in excellent shape and quite stunning - just a beautiful rifle barely used at all. I’m familiar enough with No 1’s to know what is and is not a good price, no experience with the B-78.

Asking price is $1050 - would appreciate any thoughts on whether this is about right, too high, great deal … just don’t want to pass on this rifle as it’s beautiful but curious to get some feedback from y’all.

Thanks in advance for your time..

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I like the B-78 and would think the price, although a little high, is not entirely out of line. If you really like it, go for it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that as you described it, it’s an excellent buy. All the 1885s as produced by Miroku and sold as Brownings or Winchesters are fine rifles. The earlier ones generally had nicer wood, sometimes very nice, but all are worth owning. I have two Low Walls, and they’re possibly my very favorites (there’s some shifting about that goes on!). Only reservation would be if it had a lot of rounds through it, which might not be readily apparent.

I don’t think you’d regret buying it, and also don’t think you’d lose any money if you ever sell it.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

1050 is a good price in today's market.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Appreciate your comments on this folks, very helpful.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My Dad bought a octagon barrel Model 78 30-06 back in the early 80's that he hunted with for many years, and when he got to where he couldn't go hunting anymore he passed on to my nephew. I have 2 Model 78's of my own, a 30-06 and a 7mm Remington Magnum, both with octagon barrels, and I really like both of them. Good shooters and elegantly made.

$1050 isn't not a bad price at today's inflated values.

Be careful, it's dumb out there!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Strikes me as a pretty decent price too. My only concern would be as with any used high velocity .22 centerfire: throat condition.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Strikes me as a pretty decent price too. My only concern would be as with any used high velocity .22 centerfire: throat condition.

Could always set the barrel back to clean up a damaged throat. With a 28" barrel there is plenty to work with

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed, but then the fore arm fit is compromised.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The one I have is a .25-06 and in the ten or so years I have had it there have been no problems whatsoever.

I don't know anything about this site but they post sales of firearms. The price you mentioned is a great price for a B78 in today's market.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/b-78/price-historical-value/used/1

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by stantdm
The one I have is a .25-06 and in the ten or so years I have had it there have been no problems whatsoever.

I don't know anything about this site but they post sales of firearms. The price you mentioned is a great price for a B78 in today's market.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/b-78/price-historical-value/used/1

I’ve used this same site over the last several months, and seems to track well to current market pricing. The $1050 is a little on the high side from Blue Book of Gun Values and from GunValues by Guns Digest, but in this market it seems reasonably priced.

And I certainly appreciate the comments about a high velocity .22 center fire and what comes from that …

Sure thank each of you for sharing your thoughts - thanks much.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I only have one Browning B78 and mine is chambered to the 30-06 and has the round barrel. It usually shoots right at MOA or less and has done so with every load I've run through it. $1050 probably isn't all that bad a price considering today's market. If I saw a rifle I liked, and the price wasn't all that unreasonable, I'd just pay the price and be happy. I've done that several times in the past and have yet to regret the buy. If you want it, just buy it. Just call me the enabler.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have. 78 in 25-06 and I love it. It has a little honest wear but is beautiful and is a good shooter. I think someone did tolerable good trigger work on it at some point b/c I have no issue at all with it. As for your 22-250, I’m sure it’s pretty. The price is in the ball park. It would make me grin at 950 or 975. As noted above, check for throat erosion. If you want to set the barrel back it’ll be a free float without the work.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
1050 is a good price for that rifle.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
A whole lot of enabling going on around here … waiting on some high res photos to see what I can determine on the barrel (which ain’t sayin much) - seller is being very “general” in replies to my questions. If it wasn’t a 22-250 I wouldn’t think too hard or too long to take the next step and make the deal. I got bit on a Swift several years ago and haven’t recovered …

Appreciate all the feedback from everybody.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be aware that there are two round barrel versions...the Sporter and Varmint weight. Make sure bases and rings come with it as they are difficult to find and not inexpensive when sourced seperately.

I've had several over the years. Here's the one I have now. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Be aware that there are two round barrel versions...the Sporter and Varmint weight. Make sure bases and rings come with it as they are difficult to find and not inexpensive when sourced seperately.

I've had several over the years. Here's the one I have now. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing the photo. I assume the Varmint is the 26” barrel and Sporter is the 24”?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by B52RadarNav
Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing the photo. I assume the Varmint is the 26” barrel and Sporter is the 24”?

It's actually a bit of a beater....just what I wanted for a shooter. Yes on the barrel length. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Price sounds right especially if it is in as nice a conditions as you say.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The B-78 is a fine rifle. I have a .300 H&H done for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Lee Shaver in Missouri does a good trigger modification at a great price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (2ndwind, 1minute, 673, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 17 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.