Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
FWIW I have never had a problem tracking, finding, or losing a deer with a bullet through the thoracic cavity. Lots of blood trail, no oxygen to the brain, and one dead deer in short order. Every time. No exceptions. Ever.

I have never lost one either, But I know some folks that have. a couple of them more than once. Several found a day or two later. No meat recovered only the Rack.
PRIORITY#1 Drop/kill/recover the deer. Losing some shoulder meat is secondary imo.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son recently (last Friday) shot a nice doe through the shoulder with a 450 Bushmaster. 2” diameter exit hole, both shoulders crushed, it ran about 30 yards and dropped. How it didn’t drop right there is beyond me. The shot was just under 80 yards. Man we lost one full shoulder completely but we’re able to get almost half off the other. I myself prefer double lung but it is what it is.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

It's been my experience that the quickest kill shot is one that either takes out the central nervous system or one that causes an instantaneous loss of blood pressure.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
My son recently (last Friday) shot a nice doe through the shoulder with a 450 Bushmaster. 2” diameter exit hole, both shoulders crushed, it ran about 30 yards and dropped. How it didn’t drop right there is beyond me. The shot was just under 80 yards. Man we lost one full shoulder completely but we’re able to get almost half off the other. I myself prefer double lung but it is what it is.

No CNS hit.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by rem141r
i blast right through the shoulder pretty much dead center usually. front shoulder is stringy tough meat anyway and i use whatever is left for jerky. they don't go far if at all with that shot. if i was using something lighter like a 223 though i'd go for lungs and heart. but its rare that i am hunting with anything less than 35 cal.

Reverse that. .223 through the shoulder blades puts them straight down. Haven't caught a Fusion yet, in over I think half a dozen deer so far. A couple were over 150#. Sometimes the heart/lung gives you a blood trail more like bowhunting with w 2 blade broadhead.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where I am, distance to the deer, wind, position of the deer, how steady I am, time to make the shot, and other conditions dictate where I shoot.
In a perfect world, I like quartering away shots and I shoot for the off shoulder (many years of archery).

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by pullit
Where I am, distance to the deer, wind, position of the deer, how steady I am, time to make the shot, and other conditions dictate where I shoot.
In a perfect world, I like quartering away shots and I shoot for the off shoulder (many years of archery).

Yep that’s my philosophy and quartering away aiming for off shoulder is my favored shot, but for rushed broadside shots in areas where the deer has to hit the ground fast high shoulder is lights out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hit a buck high in the shoulder this year with a 450 Bushmaster...250gr TTSX @ 2350fps.

I was maybe 10ft in a stand and about 50yd shot.

You can guess what happened.

Straight to the ground like a train fell on top of him.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Apparently many hunters don't get the "high" shoulder shot--which includes the spine. This means placing the bullet about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the body, directly about the legs--at least with most North American animals, including deer and elk. If the animal has a distinct "shoulder hump" (like bison, and several African plains game animals to a greater or lesser extent) then 3/4 of the way up may be ABOVE the spine.

"Breaking" both shoulders (especially just the shoulder blades) doesn't guarantee anything.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I aim for the big part.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ain't you ever heard? Aim small, miss small......grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Apparently many hunters don't get the "high" shoulder shot--which includes the spine. This means placing the bullet about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the body, directly about the legs--at least with most North American animals, including deer and elk. If the animal has a distinct "shoulder hump" (like bison, and several African plains game animals to a greater or lesser extent) then 3/4 of the way up may be ABOVE the spine.

"Breaking" both shoulders (especially just the shoulder blades) doesn't guarantee anything.

Exactly, sometimes you shoot far enough forward and shoulders aren't hit, just spine.

Kind of why I classify it as high and forward of the vertical leg line.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I usually aim for whatever I can get.
This last one I ruined most of one shoulder
unfortunately. It still ran some yardage, I
would guess because deer can function like
nothing else if they get that adrenaline shot,
and they're always unpredictable as to how
they react. Still, bottom line- I shot it, it died,
I carried it back, I cut it up, and brought it home.
Everything else is superfluous

Just me- I don't worry too awful much about what
others do as far as their hunting details, and want
them to leave me to my own devices as far as my
methods and choice of prey as long as I'm following
the laws set forth by the state

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Many of you have never hunted.the big woods where you take the shot you get.

The way life should be.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mach3
This should be a fun discussion. I've never had a deer take one step when putting a hole through them in the high shoulder area with any of my rifles. Always straight down to the dirt and DRT.

Where does everyone else like to hit 'em?

I've always shot center shoulder....if I dont hit one shoulder I missed my mark...heres the problem with a high shoulder hold.

With a high velosity long range gun sighted 3" high at 100 yards a high shoulder hold could likely cause a shoot over at 200 yards.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
With a high velosity long range gun sighted 3" high at 100 yards a high shoulder hold could likely cause a shoot over at 200 yards.

[/quote]

I have missed so many critters that way! I went to the +3 when I moved out West, wide open spaces intimidated me! Now I never, ever, zero more than +2"@100 and usually its only +1" for the fast movers! I "tend" to want to hold high when they are around 300+yds away. That's what growing up in the Big Thicket of SE Texas did to me, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/08/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There’s nothing so heart warming as an old man watching his well hit deer run down a steep ravine.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had it happen one time....actually just grazed the deer and knocked him out for a minute.

i grew up reading Bob Hagel and Jack O'Conner.....3" high sight setting for me....do or die.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hunted the first 30 years of my hunting career with a 7mag, 3" high at 100 and nosler partitions. Obviously before the first rangefinder was ever made. When you know what your bullet is doing at various ranges, and know how your reticle subtends, killing stuff a ways out there isn't as hard as you think. I've never been one to just want to SWAG it on game animals.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am sure the high shoulder shot has it's place but it risks destroying the 2 front quarters. I aim a rifle the same place I aim my bow - right through the vitals.

Last edited by Theeck; 12/08/21.
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 35, akrange, 11 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,938
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.