Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Bugger
I had quite a few 600’s and 660’s in 308. Get carbines! Wish I had kept one. I think the 600’s are over priced now.
I had a very heavy AR in 308. Very accurate but it went down the road. I had an early 700 BDL in 308. I gave that 700 to my oldest son. It was stolen shortly after. That was a very nice rifle.
I had a 1962 vintage 700 carbine in 308. Decided that should be a 358, so I re-barreled it and sold the 308 barrel.
I recently bought a CZ in 308. That’s the only 308 I own now. I’ve sighted it in with some loose rounds I had on hand.
I think I’ll be loading it with 150 Partitions for white tail this year.

I would really like a M14, but they are out of my price range.

How do you like that CZ? I have a CZ .22lr that is accurate. I can shoot quarter sized groups at 100 yards with cci ammo. It's a nice looking rifle as well. I wouldn't mind one in a bigger cartridge.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I finally got mine up and running, will use it for elk next month.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How are you liking the Trekker? If you could get them with left side flush cups I would have gone with one on my last build....I tt Grayboe and they said it wasn't possible on that stock. I'm considering giving one a try on my next project.

I like it a lot, and it's probably the best buy for a light stock that fits Remington 700 or clone actions under $700.
I don't think most people who approach a build looking for functionality would be disappointed in this stock. If you want something more traditional and this light you're going to have to look elsewhere.

Left side flush cups would be nice, I have to turn the sling stud just to attach a sling to the butt. The bottom metal is proud, and the stock design beats my off hand up if I'm squeezing the rear bag and shooting heavy bullets. That's the only real faults I find with the stock.

However, the stock came in at the advertised weight big plus in my eyes. The rifle weighs 8 lbs with NF 3-10X42 SHV in Warne Mountain Tech mount and rings, and 9 lbs with suppressor attached. It is very rigid, it probably has more in common with a chassis than a traditional stock as the barreled action sits more atop the stock than in it.

I like the grip, I feel I have better control from most field positions. It also feels pretty good for off hand shooting, this is the first stock I own on a hunting rifle that uses a vertical grip and I'm adapting rapidly. I do wish I had opted for the Pic rail instead of the sling studs on the forend. The studs are fine and work well with my bipod, but looking at lighter bipods or tripod attachment a Pic rail would open my options up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
On the proud bottom metal, is it a standard bdl inlet? I'm considering an M5 inlet. Thanks.

You can add a pic rail very easily. I added this one to a Manners, replacing the front 2 studs, a couple of months back:

https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/accessories-official-manufacturer/69-bt17-4-1913-rail.html

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

It was supposed to be a BDL inlet, but as you can see the bottom metal is proud. It really doesn't affect anything, it's just noticable. I'll add the Pic rail later after hunting season is over.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by taylorce1

It was supposed to be a BDL inlet, but as you can see the bottom metal is proud. It really doesn't affect anything, it's just noticable. I'll add the Pic rail later after hunting season is over.

I've got an M5 short action inlet on the way. Grayboe has a Labor Day 20% off in-stock stocks and bottom metal....was good timing. For anyone considering one of their stocks or bottom metals:

https://www.grayboe.com/collections/stocks-ready-to-ship

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Trekker arrived last Friday. M5 bottom metal inlet is TIGHT and a little proud, about like taylorforce1's. It's right on for the weight. Put a barreled action in it to play around a bit and I like the ergo's. Looking forward to getting the rifle up and running.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had three 308s at the first of the year.

Down to one in a Sportsman 78 that will go into a beater Brown Precision topped with either a Leupold 1.5-5 or 2-7.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ahhhhh, a 308 thread.. My absolute favorite caliber! Hard to find something not to like about it and i now own two. Think about it,

1. I still found ammo for 308 on the shelves at cabela's
2. Short action makes for easier bolt operation and a lighter rifle
3. Powerful enough to handle most game
4. easy to reload if you are into that ( I am not - Strictly factory ammo)
5. Easy on the shoulder

A number of years ago i bought a Savage weather warrior which has been my most accurate rifle. Its on the lighter side, manageable recoil, Syn stock and stainless barrel. Perfect for hunting in the snow/rain and weather. Man i LOVE this rifle. Just picked up another 308 Ruger with a short threaded barrel for my can. using sub sonic its whisper quiet and easy on the ears. Its hard to argue against the 308 although some will try but I see it as almost the perfect hunting tool.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Finally got the action back from coating, screwed everything together, and sighted in. Had to change the rings from Ken Ferrell's to Seekins to get a little more clearance for the bolt handle when I added scope caps....so I'll need to touch up the sight in. Really like the Trekker stock and MDT 3 round mags.

Even though it may be a bit behind several other short action rounds on slick bullets, it's an efficient and accurate little round. I shoot a generic .308 load and I've yet to find one it doesn't shoot well in. .308's have are just so easy to feed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My favorite rifle is a Tikka T3 .308 midnight bronze cerakote in a Realtree Timber stock. I was told it didn’t have enough “knockdown” power. That was all the reason I needed to buy other cals. 😜 7mag, 300win mag, 300 wsm, 30-06… I like them all.

Still the Tikka .308 is my favorite rifle. It’s so crazy accurate. I started reloading this year and it made me look like I knew what I was doing! (Sierra GameChanger 165g)

I know it’s slower, has less powder and won’t get there as fast. But the deer don’t seem to notice any of that. In my experience, a well-placed bullet is better than a super fast errant one.

I’m enjoying this thread. Have a great day all!!!

IC B3

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.