Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The search for missing aviator Steve Fossett near Lake Tahoe has brought to attention eight (at last report) old crashes, some of which are decades old. I've heard ne'er a mumblin' word about how many of those were previously undiscovered. I wonder �

In 1959, a friend of mine in Alaska spotted some wreckage that he hadn't seen before, in an area where he'd flown very, very often. He assumed that it was a recent crash, so he landed right away and went to the wreckage.

It was an Air Corps P-51 or P-39 that had been lost on the old World War Two Red Star route � at least fourteen or fifteen years old. And not many years ago � 1990s, IIRC � someone found the previously undiscovered wreckage from a World War Two crash, in the timber on a mountain very close to a Montana highway. In both cases, IIRC, the pilots' skeletons were still in their seats.

In the West and far North, an airplane crash can go undiscovered for many years despite long, intense searches. Two crashes in Alaska � 1950s � took the lives of several people whom I knew, and as far as I know, they haven't been found yet.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With those poor guys that weren't found till years later, you could only hope that they died on impact.
frown

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
ONe canyon on the Uncompahgre Plateau holds the wreckage of four different aircraft. The canyon is in the path of the most obvious route to the west.

Often the case for private pilots in Southwest Colorado is the failure to recognize the reduced performance of single engine, normally aspirated aircraft at higher altitudes encountered in Southwestern Colorado (the highest region in North America).

A warm day, 4 passengers with luggage, and a Piper or Cessna single engine doesn't climb very fast, and a has ceiling lower than many mountian ridges--much less the higher peaks.

Failure to circle up to altitude, then turn and fly out of the valley, and misjudging the sloping shelf of the Uncompahgre Plateau, has been the undoing of many pilots from the flatlands.

One of the highest accidents rates in the nation is for aircraft flying out of my hometown airport.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Years can change the facts on airplane crashes. Last winter I became involved in getting the true identity of a plane crash near Queen Valley, AZ. Queen Valley & the nearby RV park are made up by mostly snowbird seniors. Most everyone knew there was an airplane crash site about � mile from the RV park. Rumors were it was a twin seat trainer from the 40's & both pilots were killed. I bought the story, until I went up there with a couple of retired airline mechanics. They said by the size of the fuel lines, this was no prop plane. Then one of them found a barrel (20mm). 5 barrels were found! Clearly it was a fighter built sometime in the late 50's. A lot of parts were stamped with a Republic stamp. Republic made a 105 fighter but no record of one crashing in AZ! I finally contacted arizonawrecks.com One of a group people who have a hobby of finding old airplane wrecks . He & his buddies had been looking for this wreck for about 5 years. Accident report was off by one degree! True identity of plane- 105B crashed July 29 ,1960 & the pilot parachuted safety!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Two crashes in Alaska � 1950s � took the lives of several people whom I knew, and as far as I know, they haven't been found yet.

I have to correct myself (did a little more looking to refresh and correct my memory).

The wreckage of one of those two Alaska crashes was much later found.

Clarence Rhode was the regional director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Alaska when he disappeared in 1959. He was flying the USF&WS Grumman Goose, number N720. With him were his son Jack and wildlife agent Stan Frederickson. I knew Stan fairly well but had met the Rhodes only briefly. The older Rhode had photographed me feeding parka squirrels in the Alaska Range a couple of years before.

On their last flight, they stopped where I was working on an Arctic archaeological dig on Ogotoruk Creek, and I talked with them just before they continued and were lost. One of the largest and most extensive searches in Alaska history failed to find the wreckage of their Goose. In 1978 � nineteen years after they were lost � hikers in the Brooks Range found the wreckage.

Later, in another crash in 1972 (not 1950s, as I misremembered and misstated above), two high-ranking members of Congress � House majority leader Hale Boggs (D-LA) and Congressman Nick Begich (D-AK), were lost, along with Begich�s aide Russell Brown, and pilot Don Jonz. They disappeared on a political-campaign flight from Anchorage to Juneau, as they were (supposedly) approaching the Chugach mountain range in SE Alaska, in a Cessna 310 (registration number N1812H).

I�d known Don Jonz years before, just after he�d changed his name from Jones to Jonz, and I knew no one (except him) who had the slightest use for him. He was fond of saying that true mastery of the air lay in knowing how to break the rules. If he filed a flight plan for that flight, I wouldn�t be surprised to find that he deviated from it, and tried to fly in instrument weather when he should�ve been on the ground.

Boggs was taken to the airport for the first leg of the trip by a young Democrat (Bill Clinton!) who later appointed widow Lindy Boggs as US ambassador to the Vatican. (She�d already served eighteen years in the House after her husband disappeared.)

Boggs also served on the Warren Commission in the investigation of the assassination of John F Kennedy. Conspiracy theorists have reported that Boggs wasn't happy with the commission's findings and had been pushing for the investigation to be reopened. But his daughter, Cokie Roberts, the TV reporter, said on a radio talk show in 2004 that he had no problem with the commission's findings and was not pushing for reopening the investigation.

The last I've heard is that Hale Boggs, Nick Begich, Don Jonz, and Russ Brown have yet to be found.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not much of a history or wreck fanatic, but my wife turned me onto the book "Shadow Divers" over the summer. I listened to the tape version while travelling. It's the true story of the discovery, and subsequent quest to identify, a u-boat wreck off the coast of New Jersey. IIRC, the wreck was discovered in the early 90s. Like I wrote above, I'm not normally into such things, but this book fascinated me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me that air searches for wrecked planes are usually sucessful in the first couple of days - or not at all . Those not found from the air in that time frame are usually found by folks on the ground by accident .

I don't have any facts to back this up , it just seems to be that way to me .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm amazed that there isn't already a plethora of conspiracy theories about the Fossett disappearance. There's certainly enough to feed such: he's a high-tech aircraft designer, multi-millionaire, and high-profile capitalist who was flying alone in Nevada. So we may soon be regaled with many oddball theories such as UFO abductions, collision with secret military craft, so-called Area 51 nonsense and more.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the case of the college student who just recently drove off of the road and rolled his ride in a ditch, right off of the main highway. He lay there for a week, undiscovered, as his own father drove past the spot how many times. As I understand it, had he not crawled to the edge of the road and moved his elbow, he might still yet be there in that didtch.

Looking for an aircraft that my well have been blown into who knows how many small pieces upon impact in that wide open land might prove to be a down right endless task.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fascinating stuff, Ken. Fascinating stuff...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's kinda NOT surprising that they didn't find Sen. Hale Boggs, Congressman Nick Begich, Russell Brown, and pilot Don Jonz.

By 1972, we weren't yet required by the FAA ("Friendly" grin Aviation Agency - HA... rightttttt crazy !~!~! ) to have working ELT's (Emergency Locator Transmitters) in our aircraft... not even in the local-flying, so-called "puddle-jumpers" or "bug squashers" like my 7KCAB Citabria.

Of course, with all the mountains in Alaska, it still would have been a "tough search" even if they had ELT's installed which, now that I think about it, might have been REQUIRED by 1972.

As I recall, the "bush-pilots" flying in Alaska had to have working ELTs on board BEFORE we had to have them in the "Lower 48"!

Does anyone remember whether or not this was true?

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shadow Divers is being made into a movie for release next year.

I am currently on my 7th reading of the book. I also have the NOVA program from PBS that covers the discovery. "Hitler's Lost Sub". Probably watched that about 50 times.

John Chatterton and Richie Kohler are big heroes of mine, outstanding divers and for them to spend the tens of thousands of dollars to identify the U-Who due to a duty they felt to the war dead - speaks volumes about their character. Chatterton being a combat medic as well.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually the ELT was probably useless because they probably crashed over glacially colored saltwater in Prince William Sound.

The worst part about Begich was leaving a son Mark that is our current mayor. He is unbelieveably crooked and even signed on with the Mayor of NY to control guns! He has aspiriations of higher office and I fear him. The other son Nick is at least not a politician.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"With those poor guys that weren't found till years later, you could only hope that they died on impact."

Actually a friend crashed with a couple others aboard on a hanging glacier at the head of a box canyon. There was no way anyone could reach them and they remain there today. There was someone keying the mike until the battery died over a day later.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
IIRC the ELT mandate came about in 1973 after the Boggs crash.

Piper

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ahhhhhhhhhh..... sooooooooo..... smile

Thanx, Piper 1 ! smile

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Has anyone heard,you can go to "Google Earth" and help search for the crash site?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'm amazed that there isn't already a plethora of conspiracy theories about the Fossett disappearance. There's certainly enough to feed such: he's a high-tech aircraft designer, multi-millionaire, and high-profile capitalist who was flying alone in Nevada. So we may soon be regaled with many oddball theories such as UFO abductions, collision with secret military craft, so-called Area 51 nonsense and more.

"Conspiracy theories" of any kind haven't crossed my mind till now.

The dumbest thing about Fossett's disappearance (in my opinion), is that he failed to file a flight plan and even mumble to anyone in earshot where he was going and when he expected to land. Especially with his education, experience and scientific background.

Absolutely incredulous! Hope they find him alive, and thoroughly embarrassed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone remember the B-24 that coasted in and landed itself in the desert (Egypt?) after the crew had bailed out? Seems like they found it in the late 50's. Was it the "Lady Be Good?" I also remember a movie (probably made for tv) in the early 70s that dealt with the crew of a WWII bomber that had glided in in the desert. The crew was hanging around the plane. As the story developed, we figured out that it was "today" and the crew were ghosts. When the plane is discovered, each crew member would fade away as the recovery team found and bagged his remains. Was an interesting movie - would like to see it again. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
� Two crashes in Alaska � 1950s � took the lives of several people whom I knew, and as far as I know, they haven't been found yet.

I have to correct myself (did a little more looking to refresh and correct my memory).

The wreckage of one of those two Alaska crashes was much later found.

Clarence Rhode was the regional director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Alaska when he disappeared in 1959. He was flying the USF&WS Grumman Goose, number N720. With him were his son Jack and wildlife agent Stan Frederickson. I knew Stan fairly well but had met the Rhodes only briefly. The older Rhode had photographed me feeding parka squirrels in the Alaska Range a couple of years before.

On their last flight, they stopped where I was working on an Arctic archaeological dig on Ogotoruk Creek, and I talked with them just before they continued and were lost. One of the largest and most extensive searches in Alaska history failed to find the wreckage of their Goose. In 1978 � nineteen years after they were lost � hikers in the Brooks Range found the wreckage.

I read about that one as I was following this guy doing his Brooks Range Traverse last year who happened upon the wreckage.

[Linked Image]

And the before pics of the same plane with Clarence Rhode.

[Linked Image]

This plane wreck was a sad, dramatic sight. It was a twin-engine plane that flew into the mountainside just short of a pass. The wreckage was a time capsule of sorts. An old book still contained clearly legible citations for wildlife violations, written in the 50s. There were boots, canned food and singed clothing. The curled propellers showed the engines had been running when the plane hit. It was easy to imagine what had happened: the pilot flying up the narrowing valley and encountering low clouds so he couldn't see ahead and with not enough room to turn around. He was only about 100 vertical feet from the top of the pass. Update: I was fascinated to learn the story of this wreckage from the folks at ANWR. In 1958, Clarence Rhode, director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Alaska, disappeared on a patrol flight along with his son Jack and Stanley Fredericksen, a game agent. Rhode was a widely respected man, and the largest search ever conducted in Alaska was launched. Up to 28 aircraft and 260 people were involved. The mystery of the disappearance of this Grumman Goose N-720 wasn't solved until backpackers discovered the wreckage in 1979. You can see a photo of Mr. Rhode and this aircraft here

Brooks Range Traverse

Interesting stuff to be sure.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,714
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.