-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
...they emphatically do not want people shooting from them because they do have twists and turns and there is a strong possibility of inadvertantly shooting over a loop in the trail with horrible potential consequences.

Gotta wonder how another 10 feet or X feet, would reduce that potential.

I'm just sayin'...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The video is gone. Rats.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Prolly for the best.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
as long as it doesn't become "viral"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
As Mackay rightly said, turning the thread into a law enforcement bash isn't the right direction.

One ticket-happy LEO here is fond of writing tickets of the most nit-picky sort, and often when the illegality of the act is tenuous at best. His words: It may not be illegal, but it should be, and if they want to fight it the judge can decide.

Overzealous ticket writing is not that unusual in Alaska, and I think questioning the wisdom of publicly posting the video was well-intentioned.

I have known Mackay for a few years, he is good people...
I wish we had more LEOs like him.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DaveH
If you viewed it previously it can most likely be retrieved...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
G
Story from the hunter. I got a call that this thread was rolling about my hunt and have read through it with pride, concern, sheer amazement at some folks, and a little bit of anger.

The hunt was not in Eureka (we were moose hunting and I don't think I qualify) and was on four wheelers within 6 hours of Anchorage. This was my first hunt not on foot. The trail in question is just that - a trail and it did seem pretty packed down once you got in there. I would never have posted this on another forum had I beleived I had done anything against the law. I moved off the trail to shoot and the fact my boot might have been near the trail is questionable. My removal of the video isn't an admissions of doing anything wrong, just don't need the headaches of a bunch of folks up in arms over the legal killing of a bear.

For those interested in the hunt, the bear was shot with a right handed rifle - 300 wby - by a lefty (me), I appreciate the compliments on the quick shooting but will admit I was a bit pumped and wanted to make sure it was down. The bear was a dry sow (no cubs)and had extremely worn teeth so she will probably be old when aged.

I have killed numerous bears and this is the first time we got one on video so the posting on another forum (of whom I respect all the members so I posted the video for their enjoyment - I don't normally advertise all my kills) was my showing a quality hunt with quality home video.

On a final note we were buzzed by the troopers the first night and checked out in the field the following day by an officer - my second time ever nice to have the brown shirts back. He saw the carcass near our camp, my bear, and wished us nothing but congratulations on a job well done. He did have a pretty mean looking assult rifle on his back.

That said I do appreciate everyone's concern and it probably is best the video is down so there can be no interpretation of what was legal by anyone.

I hope you enjoyed me enhancing your next moose hunt.

Gooch

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

IMHO your boot was beyond the white rock that was by the trail I do not believe that your foot was on the trail. I would like to congradulate you on your Bear.....[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
plus 1!
Congrats. on your bear, Gooch.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gooch-
Welcome to the fire. Congrats on a nice bear!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
yeah, congrats!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gooch,

Thanks for the clarification and I sure enjoyed the video. Nice shooting too!

Sounds like AK's state troopers are worse than our game wardens in the the crappy people's republic!

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Gooch

Damn nice bear!!

Jeff

Oh yeah, thanks for thinning the predator pool too! A reproducing one on top of that!

Last edited by rost495; 09/10/07.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Art

On the moose tine thing.... that one should have been somewhat obvious, isn't it in the book, tine is measured down the middle on the outside of any curve basically. Not down an edge where you gain length, just like the score books do.

Now I would have hoped had it been that close leeway would be given, I've heard our local wardens confess that they are supposed to give at least half an inch on fish etc...

That also being said I know an ass of one that gave a ticket to a buck that was already mounted, half an inch shy of the spread requirement, even though as a taxidermist I can prove they often shrink an inch or more in spread as they dry....

Common sense, again, it seems to be out the window.....

Did have to warn some folks about taking pictures of a somewhat questionable act this spring.... no big deal in my books but I wouldn't have had pictures of it...

Regards, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gooch,

Did ya show the Trooper the video? wink

Brian

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Holy chit storm! Didn't mean to stir a hornets nest from a video clip I thought you all would enjoy over here, my bad I guess. I thought it was pretty cool that they got it on video and it would be enjoyed here, never meant for it to be scrutinized to death. Though this is a tough crowd, shoulda guessed as much. Sorry Gooch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You overstate your role...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Holy chit storm! Didn't mean to stir a hornets nest from a video clip I thought you all would enjoy over here, my bad I guess. I thought it was pretty cool that they got it on video and it would be enjoyed here, never meant for it to be scrutinized to death. Though this is a tough crowd, shoulda guessed as much. Sorry Gooch.

This type of discussion may help with educating hunters as well as bringing accountability or consistency to some law enforcement folks. I'm not bashing LEO's. A close friend was a brown shirt until he died in a plane crash near Illiama.

There are three components that to compliance. Engineering, Education and Enforcement. Some LEO's really don't want to educate without writing a ticket. That said I believe 95% law dogs in the field would not make an issue of this vid. This hunter, in this situation, was ethical and did a fine job in harvesting the bear.
IMHO

megabucks

Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office. � Anonymous

"It's Organic"
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Ironbender,

I stand corrected after reading the followup post. I think we may think more along the same lines than previously thought. Yep, there are Troops out there that are an embarassment to the rest of us. It also seems that sometimes to get them out of the field they get promoted.

I am still in my thirties but I guess I must think like an old man. I prefer to look at the laws as guidelines and not absolutes. Understanding basic human nature and recognizing the good and bad in people goes a long ways in making more common sense decisions. The "treat people like a neighbor until they get violent or stupid" philosophy has served me well. It has even saved my butt a couple of times.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
good post!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,429
Posts18,528,479
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.