Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Question for those that have experience with the ruger boat paddle stocks. I bought a ruger 77/22 wmr today in a boat paddle. The stock seems like it is faded to a light grey versus the more black that I’ve seen in the past. The inserts are black and look new. Is there something that can be put on the stock that will bring it back to like new condition? Wasn’t a deal breaker as is, it was a great deal I think.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Farmtown257

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a host of auto trim preservatives that will restore the black luster.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thank you JimHnSTL, I’ll give that a shot.

Farmtown257.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're not going to believe this but Breakfree CLP does the trick. Soaks right in and turns the color back to original.

Here's another trick: You can remove scratches and nicks with sandpaper and then follow with CLP to refinish these zytel stocks. Just did one and it looks almost new.

God Bless America
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I use a tooth brush with vaseline on it. Give the stock a good scrub, then wipe off with a clean rag.
Brings it back to new look.

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
UncleAlps and Fenton thank you for your suggestions. I’ll look into touching it up this weekend.

Farmtown257

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always used an Armor All type product.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
+1 for armor all.

I have the same rifle. WIN grey box, 40g HP shoots the best in it, 1-1.5" at 100 yards....killed a lot of coyotes with this rifle. 22 mag is very, very underrated in killing ability. If you ever shoot a copper plated lead bullet in your ruger, the accuracy will SUCK...till you get the lead out of the barrel!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
PaulBarnard and keith, thank you for the insight. I believe I have some of the WIN grey box stashed away. I have the wood blued version of this rifle. It shoots the Remington 33 grain premier accu tips really well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any of the auto industries plastic trim restore products should do exactly what you need. However some may leave the stock a tad slippery, original Armor-All feels that way to me. I would talk to some of the auto shop guys and see what they say. I used something on mine years ago but I wasn’t armor all and it felt and looked great. Don’t have that rifle anymore and don’t recall what I used then.

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks to all that have replied. I was a little worried that the armor-all type product would leave the stock slightly slippery. I’ll ask the auto shop guys what they think.

Farmtown257

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Just want to thank those of you that gave tips on restoring my boat paddle stock. I ended up going the clp break free route as I had that laying around and didn’t require a trip to the auto store. It worked great and the stock looks like new.
Thank you all again

Farmtown257.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That’s great to hear. I had not heard of using CLP before.
Nice to have options. Let us know over time how it holds up and if you need to retreat.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Wow! It’s hard to believe it’s been over a year since
I posted this question. I just wanted to give an update on how the stock is holding up after the clp treatment. It still looks as good as the day I applied it. I must admit it hasn’t seen the range or field as much as I’d had hoped so that may have affected the longevity of the finish.

Thank you again to all who replied to my question. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Farmtown257

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Farmtown257
Wow! It’s hard to believe it’s been over a year since
I posted this question. I just wanted to give an update on how the stock is holding up after the clp treatment. It still looks as good as the day I applied it. I must admit it hasn’t seen the range or field as much as I’d had hoped so that may have affected the longevity of the finish.

Thank you again to all who replied to my question. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Farmtown257

Its nice that you came back a year later and gave an update. That is pretty cool. I have used armor all in the past and rem oil, but never had any CLP to try. Thanks for the update, sounds like that CLP did the trick quite nicely.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got one in an auction which also has boat paddle/zytel stock in stainless, waiting for it to arrive to see how good it is.

My other blue and wood in 22 LR and 22 Hornet I have done the bolt shims and the basix triggers, nice upgrades.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.