Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by bluestem
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Lets not forget what really makes the .357 so great; the revolvers!.

Seriously, some of the finest revolvers ever made, have been made in .357 Mag. If you're a REAL wheel gun guy; why wouldn't you own at least one .357?

Good point. The Model 19 and 27, the Python.

The GP 100, the Security Six.

Yep. Agreed. And the Speed Six, and the S&W Model 13.

King Cobra

Let's not forget the Colt Shooting Master. I'll also give a nod to the S&W Highway Patrolman, the second 357 I bought back when they were $250 all day long.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by trplem
I'll also give a nod to the S&W Highway Patrolman, the second 357 I bought back when they were $250 all day long.

Yep, I picked up a nice clean one of those at a gun show way back when, too. Wish I never sold it. So dumb.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[/quote]

now, there is a sexy post

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My father in-law came up for Thanksgiving and said he had a gift for me. It was his blued, Python he bought in the mid-70s in a leather, Colt holster. He thinks he paid $175 for it and only put a few rounds through it. To say I was happy would be an understatement. He’s in his 80s and just wanted me to have it. I’m a .357 fan but this was over the top!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JRS3
My father in-law came up for Thanksgiving and said he had a gift for me. It was his blued, Python he bought in the mid-70s in a leather, Colt holster. He thinks he paid $175 for it and only put a few rounds through it. To say I was happy would be an understatement. He’s in his 80s and just wanted me to have it. I’m a .357 fan but this was over the top!

Damn! Nice.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Wow! Congratulations.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'll also give a nod to the S&W Highway Patrolman, the second 357 I bought back when they were $250 all day long.

Yep, I picked up a nice clean one of those at a gun show way back when, too. Wish I never sold it. So dumb.

O yes! Bought for 270 Euros, sold for 440 Euro a few years later. I think I should no longer hesitate to contact the buyer if he still has the gun....
[Linked Image]

Elmer Keith
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Congrats to your father in-law! And to the wonderful gift.
I'd like to see a picture.

Elmer Keith
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I did just the opposite for my dad’s 70th birthday, year before last. I paid a lot more than $175 for a 6” blued model. Shot a bit but still in good shape. Dad always wanted one but never ponied up the dough. I’ll never forget his reaction when he opened that gift and found the Python inside.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

O yes! Bought for 270 Euros, sold for 440 Euro a few years later. I think I should no longer hesitate to contact the buyer if he still has the gun....
[Linked Image]

Nice. That's about what mine looked like. A real sweetie to shoot. The hottest Magnum loads felt, recoil-wise, like shooting a K-Frame .38.

How many handguns does Germany allow you to own at one time?

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have 3 .357’s , was the first centerfire pistol I had,really like the .357

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

And the model 60.

You lost me with that one. I think that was a pretty stupid gun/cartridge combination to come up with.

How so? A 3" model 60 makes a lot of sense when roaming around the hills. Made even more sense back when it was new.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the .357 and a lot of guns it comes in.

Anything from powderpuff 38's to fire breathing 357's on loads. Light to heavy bullets. Easy to make rat/snake shot loads. Wide range of ammo and loads for it off the shelf and unlimited reloading options....of course this can be limited by availability like anything else....

Guns range from long barreled 8 shot revolvers down to 5 round snubbies. Blued, stainless, scandium....heavy to light. 8"+ to 1 7/8" barrels. Guns available with moon clips...can carry speed loaders, speed strips, or just loose rounds in a pocket. Can stretch distances when shooting or shoot from inside a pocket. Single action, double action, DAO, hammer'd, hammerless, bobbed, covered.

Whole lot of functionality in 357's and every one is a 38. I will say, my general rule is if I'm wanting to shoot mainly 357's I like a 4" or longer barrel....but that's just my preference.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've posted in this thread once, but when I read JBM's post I just had to say I'm on board word for word with what he typed.

357's are very versatile. Not saying that cause I have them, I have them cause I believe it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And the model 60.

You lost me with that one. I think that was a pretty stupid gun/cartridge combination to come up with.

How so? A 3" model 60 makes a lot of sense when roaming around the hills. Made even more sense back when it was new.

Yep, the 3” adjustable sights Mod 60 is a design greater than the sum of it’s parts. Mine served for everything from teaching the Ex and son to shoot, lots of plinking, with .38 plusP for concealed carry, the at-hand home defense gun and for woods carry with hot .357 loads.

I will say, as you stated, there’s a lot more options now than there was 25+ years ago when I bought it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Yep, the 3” adjustable sights Mod 60 is a design greater than the sum of it’s parts. Mine served for everything from teaching the Ex and son to shoot, lots of plinking, with .38 plusP for concealed carry, the at-hand home defense gun and for woods carry with hot .357 loads.

I will say, as you stated, there’s a lot more options now than there was 25+ years ago when I bought it.

I've got a three in inch J-Frame revolver with adjustable sight, a scandium frame, and a titanium cylinder, but it's in .38 Special. Pre-key-hole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've got a three in inch J-Frame revolver with adjustable sight, a scandium frame, and a titanium cylinder, but it's in .38 Special. Pre-key-hole.

I've shot a scandium J frame 38, and it was more than unpleasant. I'd much rather shoot my 3" 60as with 158gr GD than that. For me, the scandium J is past the point of diminishing returns.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I've shot a scandium J frame 38, and it was more than unpleasant. I'd much rather shoot my 3" 60as with 158gr GD than that. For me, the scandium J is past the point of diminishing returns.

Yeah, it's a bit rough with +P.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was looking for a light weight J-frame, I didn't need to read too many reviews of the Scandium frame .357 Magnum 340/360 S&W's to see that guys shooting magnums regarded it as a 2" barreled flame thrower or "Like a bomb going off in your hand" is how one guy described it. .38 +P is all that my 12 ounce 337PD will handle and that is even high end enough to hang on to. If I did want to shoot it more often, I'd look for larger grips.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"WHAT?"

"Oh, the .357 Mag. Good cartridge."

Glad I have become a lip reader. Damage done, I guess.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 64 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,124
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.