Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Swoooosh…

Oh, right, right.....The Fanny Pack. Yeah, I carry dil-dos and muskrat oil as training aides in it whenever I’m teaching dumbfûcks to fetch and retrieve.

LOL

🦫

Awesome. And, it appears as though your list of potential students is nearly endless.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Swoooosh…

Oh, right, right.....The Fanny Pack. Yeah, I carry dil-dos and muskrat oil as training aides in it whenever I’m teaching dumbfûcks to fetch and retrieve.

LOL

🦫

Awesome. And, it appears as though your list of potential students is nearly endless.

Beav told me you were a nice guy, so, there’s your freebie.
smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick Young shock cord model for minimal weigh carry of my small binos and Marsupial brand padded model for extra protection and more secure carry of my Maven B2’s. Both excellent.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I kinda like a cross chest carry as it keeps them close to a hand...but I do the same thing with a camera...
Dad had a nice pair of vortexes...that came ith a soft case. Combine that with a set of backpack golf bag straps and you could probably go a long way to figuring where you like to carry..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have the S4 Gear optics harness and love it. I like the elastic tether on the binos when you take them out of the case.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swoooosh…

LOL

🦫

smile

Hey! I thought I was being subtle. I guess I just got caught up in the excitement of it all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swoooosh…

LOL

🦫

smile

Hey! I thought I was being subtle.

You talked to beaver, don’t blow smoke up my ass. 😆

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tried the Rick Young products but after getting them ripped off or snagged in the brush I looked online for alternatives. Pricey...put together my own harness and bino cover. Crooked Horn harness and a Fieldline mini-pack. The setup keeps everything close to the chest, protects the binos and range finder. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slm9s
I carry my geovids on a harness that works great but they are unprotected, especially the objective lenses. Im scared I'll bang them on a rock/etc when going steep uphill. I see Chest rigs that fully enclose the binoculars, but how fast can you get the binoculars out and when out are they held by a strap or what? Any any good value ones you would recommend?

I went through this last year in preparation for an elk hunt. Like you I carry Leica's and mine are Geovid 10x42. I looked at a few different harnesses and ended up with the Marsupial gear harness. My binos fit great. The closures are magnetic and quiet and it is made in USA. I am very happy with mine.
Here is a link to what I have.

https://www.marsupialgear.com/products/binocular-pack?variant=28213429993558

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swoooosh…

LOL

🦫

smile

We're good SaB. Interesting timing on the "subtle" thing. That actually cracked me up.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swoooosh…

LOL

🦫

smile

We're good SaB. Interesting timing on the "subtle" thing. That actually cracked me up.

👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Like Goalie said above, it all depends on what you’re looking for and what is comfortable for you. After going through AGC, KUIU, and Badlands, I’ve now gone to the Rick Young and am very happy with it.
The Rick Young is not comparable to the others. To me, the others end up being more of a “chest pack” and provide maximum protection for your binos plus lots of other straps, pockets, etc. Just too much “stuff” for me, interferes with whatever coat you’re wearing, pain to get on and off, can’t comfortably do a low crawl when you want/need to.
Rick Young is a minimal shock cord harness, keeps your binos close to your chest, quickly accessible. Offers no protection, simple on and off, no interference. I’ve carried my 10x42 EL Range locally as well as in Montana and Alaska using it for about 3 years now. I’m religious about keeping the ocular cover (I tied onto the harness with a basic piece of guy line) and the attached objective covers on when I’m not actively “using” them.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the “pack” types if they work for you, and of those AGC was my favorite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Crooked Horn harness has worked for me.

MM

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Anything for 8x32? I figure I'll use the bino's neck strap and the chest strap on my backpack to keep them from falling away from my chest. I have a Nikon-branded harness that's ok but will probably use it for some heavier porro prism binos.

If I did get a chest rig, I think I'd want it to integrate with my pack. Otherwise, I would have too many shoulder straps.

For my camera (medium-sized film SLR), I have a Peak Design Capture Camera Clip v3. It works great on my backpack strap. I can see putting on one the other side for binos but it needs a 1/4"-20 tripod type mount. Most binos have some kind of adapter. Some of them aren't bad and others are quite clunky.

My binos came with a neoprene case. Maybe I'll put a kydex plate and a nut to receive the 1/4"-20 screw and mount the case on the Camera Clip v3. First, I'll see what the adapter for these binos looks like -- because I don't really need a protective case on my chest for them.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have the fhf bino cover for my 8x32 perfect fit stays tight to the chest. I have tried others including kuiu these are the best for me. They don't move around when hiking

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
S
slm9s Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just to follow up, I ordered 5 or 6 and tried them out. Ended up going with a Butler Creek XL that had nice magnetic closures, nice strap system, and fit my 8x42 geovids perfectly. It did its job well, tho I got a bull opening morning so it wasn't much of a torture test. Anyway, I'm very happy and don't have to worry about the naked objective lenses hanging down anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WHDVPLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Steiner 8x30 Miitary/ Marine bino is on a Bino Bra. It's okay, but it works its way up to sternum constantly. Less than ideal, but not bad enough to make a change.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.