Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
thought everyone carried a blade.

Have had one on my person daily for the last fifty years.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like blades.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
If you can't carry a firearm, carry a knife.

That said, what the very vast majority of people need is training. Most people are grossly incompetent and are delusional if they think that they will suddenly have the skills to handle a younger stronger, skilled attacker/attackers.

I cannot tell you how many times over the course of carrying a gun for a living for decades I have had dudes square up/ bow up and say something to the effect of:

I am not going jail
I am not going back to prison
I am going to whup your ass
You aint man enough

Blah blah blah

only to find themselves being made into an asphalt angel and wondering what just happened.

It was not because I was bigger, or stronger.

It is simply because, much like shooting, lifting weights, running, or anything else, you have to actually develop skill sets and maintain them.

Martial skills require training and practice.

Men, primarily due to egos puff up. They cannot stand the reality check of someone either telling or showing them that they are grossly under prepared or incompetent and that their fantasies of sending the bad men scurrying like in the movies is simply not reality. Going and taking some Brazilian jiu-jitsu will humble you pretty quickly, especially when you are 200 pounds and a 140 pound dude whos 6"s shorter than you destroys you in 30 seconds.

My old partner was a serious BJJ practitioner and a little dude. He was quite advanced in the sport, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get the upper hand on him. Neither could anyone else in my organization. He checked a lot of egos.

So before you go and buy a magic talisman and think that it will ward off evil, remember that there are over 3,000 BJJ gyms in the US alone and a BUNCH of mixed martial arts gyms that practice other forms. So relying on "Hope" as a strategy that your attackers will be weak and/or incompetent is foolish at best. Most attackers make a point of not attacking stronger opponents. They attack prey that they believe they can overpower/dominate.

Bottom line is you may want to consider doing something besides buying a stick and relying on hope.

LOL thank you for that!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Without reading all of the posts.....has anyone suggested a large catapult? šŸ¤” Asking for a friend! šŸ˜‰ memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a beekeeper I always have a couple of hive tools close by.
[Linked Image from dadant.com][Linked Image from dadant.com]

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned a chain and padlock. It's what a lot of bikers carry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
As a beekeeper I always have a couple of hive tools close by.
[Linked Image from dadant.com][Linked Image from dadant.com]

I have several but I don't think any would be my first or second choice given other options.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned a chain and padlock. It's what a lot of bikers carry.

Also now known as the ā€œRosenbaumā€

šŸ¦«

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Canā€™t quite picture Wabi packinā€™ a skateboard.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bommy knocker.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rape whistle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

shillelagh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Raferman
Rape whistle.

Pink or candy stripe?

Mine is candy stripe pink, but it did cost extra.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a broke axe handle in the truck.... close to hand.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Where I live guns are legal to carry concealed or visible, without or with a permit.. I'm old and can't fight or run any longer, but I am a good shot, so guess what I drag around.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Love my black jackā€¦

Don't gobble at me
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

That said, what the very vast majority of people need is training. Most people are grossly incompetent and are delusional if they think that they will suddenly have the skills to handle a younger stronger, skilled attacker/attackers.

There you go being reasonable and basing your comment on reality.
Thank you!

This is The 'fire so, please don't make it a habit. crazy

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Utility of any NFW is very situation specific.
For example, consider being attacked while strapped into the driver's seat of a vehicle versus being jumped in a parking lot.

abusus non tollit usum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I cannot tell you how many times over the course of carrying a gun for a living for decades I have had dudes square up/ bow up and say something to the effect of:

I am not going jail
I am not going back to prison
I am going to whup your ass
You aint man enough

Blah blah blah

only to find themselves being made into an asphalt angel and wondering what just happened.

It was not because I was bigger, or stronger.

It is simply because, much like shooting, lifting weights, running, or anything else, you have to actually develop skill sets and maintain them.

Martial skills require training and practice.

Men, primarily due to egos puff up. They cannot stand the reality check of someone either telling or showing them that they are grossly under prepared or incompetent and that their fantasies of sending the bad men scurrying like in the movies is simply not reality. Going and taking some Brazilian jiu-jitsu will humble you pretty quickly, especially when you are 200 pounds and a 140 pound dude whos 6"s shorter than you destroys you in 30 seconds.

My old partner was a serious BJJ practitioner and a little dude. He was quite advanced in the sport, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get the upper hand on him. Neither could anyone else in my organization. He checked a lot of egos.

So before you go and buy a magic talisman and think that it will ward off evil, remember that there are over 3,000 BJJ gyms in the US alone and a BUNCH of mixed martial arts gyms that practice other forms. So relying on "Hope" as a strategy that your attackers will be weak and/or incompetent is foolish at best. Most attackers make a point of not attacking stronger opponents. They attack prey that they believe they can overpower/dominate.

Bottom line is you may want to consider doing something besides buying a stick and relying on hope.

Knife should be a given like Roger said.

Like Mackay stated, join a MMA gym. Train in BJJ every chance you get. Go to at least 1 boxing or Muay Thai class a week.

Nothing wrong with having good non-firearm weapons but if you're close enough to hit someone with something you're close enough for them to take you down and then you're toast if you aren't skilled (standing or on the ground).

Originally Posted by RicksonGracie

I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Your intellect

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.