B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
At least where I'm heading in Potter county. Poor deer. grin

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I miss the Pa. opener. I haven't hunted Pa. Since 84'.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Used to love Pa opener.Has much changed with it going to Sat.as far as camps and such?
Knock'em down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck, PA boys!

Gotta love a little opening day snow. smile

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rong last year was my first year back since before they went to antler restrictions. They say in PA now 40% of the bucks are killed in archery, and a lot of the old timers have faded away and not been replaced by a new generation. I guess what I'm trying to say is the pressure I remember in the 80s and early 90s was not a factor last year. PA also has fewer deer than they did back then, which is OK in my eyes. I remember a couple 100 deer opening days back then, but every deer was the size of my Labs and you had to scan every head looking for those 3" spikes. Pennsylvania eleven pointers we called them. grin

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Snow here in Erie County, as well. Good luck everybody!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I'm excited! Elk County is white too

Last edited by moosemike; 11/26/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The quality of the deer has definitely gotten better but you don't see dozens everyday like back in the 70's. This one is from 3 years ago. I'm not complaining.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we hava dusting of it here. enough to cover the top of the ground. ill be in a tower blind with my 5 year old in the morning

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
Rong last year was my first year back since before they went to antler restrictions. They say in PA now 40% of the bucks are killed in archery, and a lot of the old timers have faded away and not been replaced by a new generation. I guess what I'm trying to say is the pressure I remember in the 80s and early 90s was not a factor last year. PA also has fewer deer than they did back then, which is OK in my eyes. I remember a couple 100 deer opening days back then, but every deer was the size of my Labs and you had to scan every head looking for those 3" spikes. Pennsylvania eleven pointers we called them. grin

Yea, the archery lobby probably won't be happy until it is 50% and maybe not even then....I suspect they will be lobbying for a special Atlatl and speareechucker (the correct spelling was blacked out...Wokeness on the fire???) season soon..Week for each, before rifle...It's more difficult, you know..But then how did they reach 40%plus..Oh, forgot...six week season....

And when you have lobbyists....political pockets are always being greezed...

The reason rifle pressure is off is because of that 40% being gone...

And the GC loves the silent killers vs us boomers....and you always could bow hunt on Sunday wink

Addition: And be sure and use all those 6 Doe tags you are allowed...Why care about the future?!? When the Pa Deer hunting tradition has been completely wiped out, you will only need to look at the GC for an answer.

Last edited by battue; 11/26/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I haven’t hunted in 5 years, but yes you gotta love when the ground is white.
That’s why I always liked primitive hunting here in Ohio. It’s around Christmas now but back in the day it use to be the first Thursday Friday and Saturday in January. 90% of the time there was snow, sometimes to much lol. And the deer would be herded up, it was fun hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Our first snow of the year is happening now, suppose to be 7-10" by morning. This is late for us and we only have 2 weeks left and then a week of late ML.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I hate all the special seasons. Deer season should either be open or closed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by benchman
Snow here in Erie County, as well. Good luck everybody!

We're also in Erie county.

I got a buck in archery, but I'm going out with my boy tomorrow. He graduated from Penn State last spring and goes to fort rucker Alabama for helicopter flight school in January. Who knows when we'll be able to hit the opener together again.

Good luck everyone!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

No doubt...you want to use a bow, crossbow, ML, rifle...your choice all during the same season.

Or let the rifle shooters have the rut and next year the bow shooters have it...That would have the bow crew crying river tears...."But, but, but..." They are essentially a bunch of whiners, with a lobby, who only want it their way....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by battue

No doubt...you want to use a bow, crossbow, ML, rifle...your choice all during the same season.

Or let the rifle shooters have the rut and next year the bow shooters have it...That would have the bow crew crying river tears...."But, but, but..." They are essentially a bunch of whiners, with a lobby, who only want it their way....

A divisive enemy for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ah it just wouldn't be Deer season in PA without beetching and carrying on

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep and I was a GC flag waver until recently....Remember, the hunters knew nothing about Grouse and the decline was all do to habitat. Then they decided that wasn't the case. Same with Pheasants..We had Wild Birds in numbers and then they declined because of habitat. Well they were wrong again.

Now it is CWD that will decimate the herd..Yet that has yet to happen in any State..CWD is the Covid BS of Pa Deer management...

The more I see their of management...Oh yea let's invest hunter dollars for Eagle propagation....Game numbers, in their eyes haven't decreased enough can be the only reason....and let's introduce Fishers...they don't eat fish...but do eat Rabbits and Squirrels and are another nest robber.....The Pa GC is quickly turning into an arm of the anti-hunting crowd...and it isn't hard to see.

Last edited by battue; 11/26/21.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by battue

Seems your the only one biotching......
Quit crying or go buy a bow. Jesus Christ man....

Boohoo archery hunter kill 40% of bucks...
Boohoo archery hunters get 6 weeks
Boohoo I want to gun hunt the rut..
Boohoo I don't have a voice...

Go hunt or stfu

Hunt...
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good luck to all going out tomorrow.

Be safe.......

Hunt...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 12savage, 1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,293
Posts18,505,293
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.