Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Random trunk base on a gravel bar that for whatever reason had spontaneously combusted. It was smoldering and burning on the inside. There wasn't an active fire within a hundred miles of this spot.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lightning strike, perhaps?

I am not exactly an expert on what the aftermath of a lightening strike looks like....but I guess it is possible. I saw no obvious blown off branches or roots though. The only burn marks I could see looked like those from a regular fire on trunks, with no other damage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Horse hobbles hanging about 12 ft off the ground in an old Ponderosa pine. They had been there for a long time as the leather was rock hard and middle link was worn down to about a 1 mm thickness from swaying back and forth in the wind. Either deep snow or a tall horse when then were placed there, as I had to use a stick to reach up and removed them from the limb.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Found the start of a moonshine still. I didn't stick around long.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Horse hobbles hanging about 12 ft off the ground in an old Ponderosa pine. They had been there for a long time as the leather was rock hard and middle link was worn down to about a 1 mm thickness from swaying back and forth in the wind. Either deep snow or a tall horse when then were placed there, as I had to use a stick to reach up and removed them from the limb.

Damn… any pics??

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image]

155mm Howitzer rounds.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by NVhntr

THIS HAS TO BE THE CAMPFIRE PHOTO OF 2021!!

Certainly got my vote NV Hunter......

I didn't spit stuff out of my nose onto my key board over this...

I started laughing and fell out of my chair and on my ass, of the carpet....

Fantastic NV.... this is so simple its ingenious.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GAGoober
In the 60’s I grew up in Smyrna, GA. 60‘s Smyrna as well as Cobb County back then was considered out in the boonies. Not so today. Squirrel, rabbit, quail & dove hunted the 400 acres of woods behind the house. Before I was old enough to hunt by myself we were playing in the creek catching crawfish, minnows, etc. About 5 of us kids came upon a rounded object in the creek on a rock bar half-buried. It was a US Civil War Mortar round from the Battle of Smyrna. The oldest and biggest kid claimed it and took it home. The explosive charge hole was completely cleaned out and empty. He used that mortar round as a bedroom door stop. It was big & heavy, much larger than a standard cannon round. Wish I had acquired it.

I lived in Manassas Virginia back in 1960 to 1963. Bull Run was about 1/2 mile from School... We use to go down there after school and exploring for just about anything..

We found a lot of things like MiniBalls, but it was not uncommon to find the remains of a rifle someone had dropped...

after a flood on Bull Run, when the water went down, it had washed off a sandbar of quit a bit of sand. we found the remains of a wagon wheel sticking out of the sand...
we were all military brats, so we ran home and got a trenching tool... about half a dozen us went back out there and digging, we found more stuff on that sandbar.

on kid told his mom, and she notified the Park Service.... they dug it up professionally of course...

They found the remains of some dead horses, human bodies and what had been a caisson and a cannon....

That was 1962, so it was probably left over from the Second Battle of Manassas or Bull Run as the Southern boys called it...

wasn't found hunting tho... so pardon the intrusion... but emplacements/ ramparts use to be in the woods all over the place back in the 50s and 60s in Northern VA.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Was hunting caribou with my wife in Alaska. Sitting on a hillside glassing, eating lunch. Got up to move along and she says, “you know we could be the only humans to have seen this place”. Not 20 yards down the ridge, there lay the sole off someone’s boot.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 1975 I was out coyote hunting on the north side of the Columbia River inland about a mile or so. Walking over a grassy hump in the landscape, i looked down and spied a 50 cal empty with '42' stamped on the head. Of course the hunt was put on the back burner while I frantically looked for more. I was rewarded with the finding of a 50 cal projectile but no more shells.

Later i did some research and discovered that the area was used for gunnery practice during the war.
And of course, it's all posted now.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JeffP
Was hunting caribou with my wife in Alaska. Sitting on a hillside glassing, eating lunch. Got up to move along and she says, “you know we could be the only humans to have seen this place”. Not 20 yards down the ridge, there lay the sole off someone’s boot.

Maybe you were the only ones who saw that place and made it back to tell about it. grin

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/27/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly old logging stuff wheels and log carriage axles, the occasional ancient thermos or shine jar but i did find some .30 carbine brass and one 250-3000 case.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Creepiest thing I ever found was doing a bird survey in S. Texas. In dense brush I came across an old storage cellar or house remnant, basically a partially filled rectangular hole in the ground the proprietors were unaware of. This on land unoccupied since well before WWII, old enough the only traces were bits of barbed wire, shards of glass and pottery. The usual stuff.

Laying on the ground next to the hole was an old, corroded but quite ornate grinning demon mask made of galvanized sheet iron. The sorta thing that could be dismissed as artwork were it not for the undercurrent of witchcraft and devil-worship in Mexican culture.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have found quite a bit of stuff and lost some also... off the top of my head I lost some cheap bushnell binos, elk bugle, old bushnell range finder... setting stuff down and walking away.

I've found some cool stuff, petroglyphs from indians and spanish explores, mining stuff, pottery shards, arrow heads...

Found these, at least a thousand years old in an old ruin, I often will just sit and look out from a ruin, imagining what those people saw from there, what their life could be like and the resources they had... what evidence they left on the ground.

Effigies...

I found this in the early 80s, overlooking a cliff.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In the early 90's, coon hunting by permit around a military camp, a buddy found a fully automatic M16 rifle leaning up against a tree. Dogs were treed and he said it was just right next to the tree they'd treed in. Had some rust. I told him to turn it in after he told me what he'd found. Can you imagine the reamin some youngster got for "losing" that Gov't property. Don't know if he turned it in or not but I said it would probably be jail if he was caught with it being Gov't property and class III.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffP

The rest of that old boy was probably turned into bear schitt!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
I have found quite a bit of stuff and lost some also... off the top of my head I lost some cheap bushnell binos, elk bugle, old bushnell range finder... setting stuff down and walking away.

I've found some cool stuff, petroglyphs from indians and spanish explores, mining stuff, pottery shards, arrow heads...

Found these, at least a thousand years old in an old ruin, I often will just sit and look out from a ruin, imagining what those people saw from there, what their life could be like and the resources they had... what evidence they left on the ground.

Effigies...

I found this in the early 80s, overlooking a cliff.

Those are amazing! Any idea the stone type and hardness?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by IZH27

Those are amazing! Any idea the stone type and hardness?

No, couldn't say if they were made in the area or trade ware. Lots of trade ware in central arizona from as far away as the the coast. I've seen huge seashell bracelets and necklaces. I've found travel lodges on long ridges, you can look and see how they would be trade routes from the rivers and valleys, over the mountains.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found this in the dirt after it went through a deer yesterday afternoon. How the heck did Barnes put an X in the middle of the bullet?

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of Indian stuff, I was prairie dog shooting in SW Wyoming once and saw a shattered pottery jug, all nicely incised with decorations and clearly Indian-made. It sat there exactly as somebody had dropped it who knows how long ago. Had probably been a water jug. I left it the same way. No camera along, darn it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,514
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.