Home
Posted By: Judman Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 11/26/21
Couple week ago in Montana pard and I made a hunt in some coulees. Stopped to take a breather and found 2 old 250-3000 cases. Makes ya wonder how long they’ve been there? Who it was? Did they kill? How big was it? Guess the possibilities are endless. Makes a guy ponder..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Could you make out the makers headstamp?

I found a 38/56 casing some years back.
It's also why I always leave my empties on the ground when big game hunting. It might give another hunter a wonder 100 years from now.
I found some ancient .30-40 Krag rounds a long ways from a BLM road in WY a few years ago. We had a few minutes standing around discussing whose great-grandfather had shot at what? Questions without answers.
I found an old black .348 casing one year. That made an impression on me
Jud,

good stuff there.

I usually find mylar balloons and schiedt. 30 miles from the nearest paved road, and a couple miles from the two track. mad
Iv been leaving 250-3000, 303 savage and savage 22HP brass, all over for about the last 15 years or so.

I was deer hunting this beautiful draw in Western Oklahoma, and you could imagine you were the only person to cross it since the plains indians chasing buffalo. Then I looked down and saw a Mountain Dew bottle. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I killed a deer in Montana with a 250 Savage

[Linked Image]

And I have taken 2 other 250 Savages I built to Montana and left cases at the pit.

Back in WA state I have found an Indian arrowhead while hunting.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Could you make out the makers headstamp?

I found a 38/56 casing some years back.

Winchester stamped
Found a fired 45 caliber slug a couple weeks ago and a loaded Remington 30-30 cartridge that had a light strike. When I was a kid I found a 50 cal (fired)
I found a .303 Savage casing one time near Flaming Gorge, WY.
Some old metal pieces from some sort of military aircraft in BFE New Mexico.
Old rock blinds made by indians in the Idaho desert. I guess to wait for deer or whatever else to wander by.
One somewhat recent weather balloon.
Lots of old miners and trappers cabins in Idaho and Montana. One in Idaho's Frank Church still had a few old, rusted up traps on the wall. I was WAY in there though and didn't pack any of them out. I wish I had though.

Some of other random finds too. An old mining claim from the 1950's.

Some evidence of "erosion"...or maybe I just drank a lot of beer and needed to whizz.

Random trunk base on a gravel bar that for whatever reason had spontaneously combusted. It was smoldering and burning on the inside. There wasn't an active fire within a hundred miles of this spot.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

That is cool. Did you open it?
Found a couple .40-82 cases on top of a mountain one morning. And yeah, I occasionally leave a case out while hunting for the same reason.
Posted By: Teal Re: Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 11/26/21
All I find are old pull tab beer cans or the occasional bottle of Moosehead
Growing up in Michigan, used to find a few 3006, 270, 308 etc

One day found a 338win mag. Thought that was the coolest looking case. Decided I would own one some day just cuz of a cool looking spent case lol
Cool stuff Ted. When I hunted oryx on the wsmr we found all kinds weird shiit
Found this back in a Ol homestead/junk pile as well. Stuff keeps a lot better in that dry country compared to the rainy coast.
Posted By: 79S Re: Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 11/26/21
Hunting couse deer on ft huachuca in one of the training areas. I found a pile of 30-06 stamped FA 19. I was damn I found an ol pile of brass from a training event back from the early 20’s. Imagine it was shot out of a 1917 browning machine gun.
While on a guided elk hunt in Montana, I saw/found a pair or vortex fury binoculars in the middle of the horse trail.

While the case was plenty dirty, the binoculars inside had managed to avoid any damage..

In a turn of events I’m still peeved about..the guide who was behind me jumped down and grabbed them, and kept them.
I found Ned Beatty's skivvies up Buther Hollar road once... I back out of there same way I came and had the finger on my trigger all the while...

Them boys don't do play...
I wasn't hunting, but once found an expanded 30 caliber bullet partially embedded in an old decaying stump. I always wondered if it had passed through a deer before ending there.
Posted By: bcp Re: Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 11/26/21
Two interesting ones.

One was a 45-70, unmarked, folded-head case about 1/4 mile north of the Santa Fe RR, Canyon Diablo bridge in AZ. The other was a 308 case that had been fired in a 30-06, now a nearly straight-sided case, found in a gravel pit west of Flagstaff,AZ.

Bruce
Hunting way back in the woods one year and too a breather from the hills, looked down and there was an old gas cap to a stihl chainsaw. Those woods looked to have not been logged in over 50 years, stumps you could see were rotted to the ground. The cap fit my old 041 farmboss.
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Hunting way back in the woods one year and too a breather from the hills, looked down and there was an old gas cap to a stihl chainsaw. Those woods looked to have not been logged in over 50 years, stumps you could see were rotted to the ground. The cap fit my old 041 farmboss.

I had some of your syrup just yesterday... Man-O-Man that stuff is good.
Originally Posted by skeen

That is cool. Did you open it?

I did a while later after I made sure the mining claim was no longer active. A fire had melted the jar lip a bit so I couldn't unscrew it. I broke it open and the paper was too brittle to really do much with. I could ascertain the date and some of the cadastral info. That was about it. I am unsure what minerals they were after.
Dove hunting w dad one afternoon I found a pretty clean 1931 Winchester Mdl 12 leaned up against a tree on the edge of the field we were hunting.
We asked the land owner if he’d given anyone else permission to hunt there he said “no”

Still have it in the safe
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Dove hunting w dad one afternoon I found a pretty clean 1931 Winchester Mdl 12 leaned up against a tree on the edge of the field we were hunting.
We asked the land owner if he’d given anyone else permission to hunt there he said “no”

Can you tell me where you found it and when? It’s probably mine.
Ive found a lot of old brass while out hunting. The coolest was probably an old 300 Savage case made by Western way off in the middle of nowhere, and an 8mm mag. Just don't see those around...
Found an 81mm mortar round with two friends. It was just lying in the California desert, out in the open, far from any gunnery range. I detonated it from about 200 yards with a 6mm Remington. From the way it smoked and fizzed, we concluded it was a practice round, not HE.

Damn man
LAW rocket launcher

Found it while we were doing the ‘stand by me’ hike down the railroad tracks.
Found a military aircraft ejection seat in the desert near Dateland, AZ in 1987.
I've found a few over the years but don't remember what they were.

Originally Posted by Pharmseller

On private ground north of Lewisville Lake Corp property in what is now within the city limit of Little Elm Tx.
Had to have been Sep of 82 cause I was home on leave for the dove opener
Outdoor grow show complete with irrigation
Cool thread as I was just thinking about a 32 Winchester case i found in SE Idaho way off the beaten path. I was a couple of miles from the road on some of the steepest ground on earth hunting deer and was following a game trail into a draw when I found it. I’ve always wondered if the hunter got what he was shooting at.

Originally Posted by Pharmseller

On private ground north of Lewisville Lake Corp property in what is now within the city limit of Little Elm Tx.
Had to have been Sep of 82 cause I was home on leave for the dove opener

You’re exactly right, that’s where I lost it and when.

I’d like it back now, please.
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Cool thread as I was just thinking about a 32 Winchester case i found in SE Idaho way off the beaten path. I was a couple of miles from the road on some of the steepest ground on earth hunting deer and was following a game trail into a draw when I found it. I’ve always wondered if the hunter got what he was shooting at.

Wow just think of the chances of finding that!
I was hunting Antelope in Arizona and I heard a bunch of yelling and shooting.I looked over the top of a nearby hill and saw a bunch of dead Mexicans around pickup trucks.I went down to take a look see and there was a chit load of wrapped up nose candy.Then I found a satchel of C notes and another pickup with a half dead Mex in it.
No country for old men, but in Arizona?? Haha
Back in the mid 80s I was hunting quail on White Sands Missile Range and found a 50 caliber case, looked around and found another about 40-50 feet further, then another about the same distance on, etc. all in all about 15 cases or so. I could almost hear the fighter on it's training mission. Most were stuck in the caliche or filled with it. 1943 head stamps on all of them.
In thick brush at my old archery club, a DC9 wheel and tire, had Republic Airlines on it, had been there for years! Clubs about 7-8 miles from DTW metro airport.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Found a military aircraft ejection seat in the desert near Dateland, AZ in 1987.

Those ejection seats have a serial number. With some digging you may be able to find the aircraft type and even when it was used, etc.
I was rabbit hunting in about 1980 with my brothers a few hundred yards from the Big Black river between Jackson and Vicksburg and was waiting for a big Swamp rabbit to make his circle back to where the dogs jumped him. I happened to look down and found the head of shotgun shell in the middle of a huge cotton field about a mile square. The paper of the shell was all gone except for the base wad down in the brass case head. I still have it somewhere but I think it was a 12 gauge REM-UMC with a six or eight point star around the primer. A few years ago, I found it with a head stamp search and I think it was used around 1915-1920 or so. Made me wonder if it had been fired at another rabbit decades before.

BTW, I nailed the rabbit several minutes later as the dogs brought it back.
I used to find fresh elk kills all brushed in every now and again. I would cut out the ivories and leave em a note telling them where they can pick them up, and to bring beer!
In the 60’s I grew up in Smyrna, GA. 60‘s Smyrna as well as Cobb County back then was considered out in the boonies. Not so today. Squirrel, rabbit, quail & dove hunted the 400 acres of woods behind the house. Before I was old enough to hunt by myself we were playing in the creek catching crawfish, minnows, etc. About 5 of us kids came upon a rounded object in the creek on a rock bar half-buried. It was a US Civil War Mortar round from the Battle of Smyrna. The oldest and biggest kid claimed it and took it home. The explosive charge hole was completely cleaned out and empty. He used that mortar round as a bedroom door stop. It was big & heavy, much larger than a standard cannon round. Wish I had acquired it.
Found a buck 110. The rancher said no one had permission to be there.
Glad I started this thread, very cool stuff. 👍
Cool stuff Jud. I always pick up old cases to check the headstamp and to guess approximate age. A few cool ones I have found over the years, with a .243 case for size.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Cool stuff Jud. I always pick up old cases to check the headstamp and to guess approximate age. A few cool ones I have found over the years, with a .243 case for size.
[Linked Image]

Some big stuff there!!👍👍
Originally Posted by Judman
Glad I started this thread, very cool stuff. 👍

Oh yeah? Here's a true story..
I was looking for morels up near Camp Sherman on one of the tributaries and.. found a pile of dil-dos No.. for real. A pile of gottdim dil-dos.

My name's Dan and that sh*t really happened.
Random trunk base on a gravel bar that for whatever reason had spontaneously combusted. It was smoldering and burning on the inside. There wasn't an active fire within a hundred miles of this spot.

Wish I could find a '97 trench gun like that one!
lots of old brass. always enjoyed that, thinking of hunts and hunters of the past.

a few arrows.

once found a flip phone burned over, probably dropped out of a fire fighters pocket or pack.

Lightning strike, perhaps?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Jud,

good stuff there.

I usually find mylar balloons and schiedt. 30 miles from the nearest paved road, and a couple miles from the two track. mad

Hey Geno, if you ever find one of those old balloons out by Bly, don’t pick it up. eek
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
[Linked Image]

God damn, that’s some cool stuff!!!
My grandpa found a cannon ball way up on the Hoback Rim in Wyoming in the early 50’s. My family has hunted the same canyon since the 1920’s I’ve found a bunch of old 32 win spl cases from my great grandpa and grandpa.

Excellent finds to all, I found this bison skull a few years ago.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Wish I could find a '97 trench gun like that one!

Bull Creek Arms.

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

I am not exactly an expert on what the aftermath of a lightening strike looks like....but I guess it is possible. I saw no obvious blown off branches or roots though. The only burn marks I could see looked like those from a regular fire on trunks, with no other damage.
Horse hobbles hanging about 12 ft off the ground in an old Ponderosa pine. They had been there for a long time as the leather was rock hard and middle link was worn down to about a 1 mm thickness from swaying back and forth in the wind. Either deep snow or a tall horse when then were placed there, as I had to use a stick to reach up and removed them from the limb.
Found the start of a moonshine still. I didn't stick around long.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Horse hobbles hanging about 12 ft off the ground in an old Ponderosa pine. They had been there for a long time as the leather was rock hard and middle link was worn down to about a 1 mm thickness from swaying back and forth in the wind. Either deep snow or a tall horse when then were placed there, as I had to use a stick to reach up and removed them from the limb.

Damn… any pics??
[Linked Image]

155mm Howitzer rounds.
Originally Posted by NVhntr

THIS HAS TO BE THE CAMPFIRE PHOTO OF 2021!!

Certainly got my vote NV Hunter......

I didn't spit stuff out of my nose onto my key board over this...

I started laughing and fell out of my chair and on my ass, of the carpet....

Fantastic NV.... this is so simple its ingenious.
Originally Posted by GAGoober
In the 60’s I grew up in Smyrna, GA. 60‘s Smyrna as well as Cobb County back then was considered out in the boonies. Not so today. Squirrel, rabbit, quail & dove hunted the 400 acres of woods behind the house. Before I was old enough to hunt by myself we were playing in the creek catching crawfish, minnows, etc. About 5 of us kids came upon a rounded object in the creek on a rock bar half-buried. It was a US Civil War Mortar round from the Battle of Smyrna. The oldest and biggest kid claimed it and took it home. The explosive charge hole was completely cleaned out and empty. He used that mortar round as a bedroom door stop. It was big & heavy, much larger than a standard cannon round. Wish I had acquired it.

I lived in Manassas Virginia back in 1960 to 1963. Bull Run was about 1/2 mile from School... We use to go down there after school and exploring for just about anything..

We found a lot of things like MiniBalls, but it was not uncommon to find the remains of a rifle someone had dropped...

after a flood on Bull Run, when the water went down, it had washed off a sandbar of quit a bit of sand. we found the remains of a wagon wheel sticking out of the sand...
we were all military brats, so we ran home and got a trenching tool... about half a dozen us went back out there and digging, we found more stuff on that sandbar.

on kid told his mom, and she notified the Park Service.... they dug it up professionally of course...

They found the remains of some dead horses, human bodies and what had been a caisson and a cannon....

That was 1962, so it was probably left over from the Second Battle of Manassas or Bull Run as the Southern boys called it...

wasn't found hunting tho... so pardon the intrusion... but emplacements/ ramparts use to be in the woods all over the place back in the 50s and 60s in Northern VA.
Was hunting caribou with my wife in Alaska. Sitting on a hillside glassing, eating lunch. Got up to move along and she says, “you know we could be the only humans to have seen this place”. Not 20 yards down the ridge, there lay the sole off someone’s boot.
About 1975 I was out coyote hunting on the north side of the Columbia River inland about a mile or so. Walking over a grassy hump in the landscape, i looked down and spied a 50 cal empty with '42' stamped on the head. Of course the hunt was put on the back burner while I frantically looked for more. I was rewarded with the finding of a 50 cal projectile but no more shells.

Later i did some research and discovered that the area was used for gunnery practice during the war.
And of course, it's all posted now.
Originally Posted by JeffP
Was hunting caribou with my wife in Alaska. Sitting on a hillside glassing, eating lunch. Got up to move along and she says, “you know we could be the only humans to have seen this place”. Not 20 yards down the ridge, there lay the sole off someone’s boot.

Maybe you were the only ones who saw that place and made it back to tell about it. grin
Mostly old logging stuff wheels and log carriage axles, the occasional ancient thermos or shine jar but i did find some .30 carbine brass and one 250-3000 case.
Creepiest thing I ever found was doing a bird survey in S. Texas. In dense brush I came across an old storage cellar or house remnant, basically a partially filled rectangular hole in the ground the proprietors were unaware of. This on land unoccupied since well before WWII, old enough the only traces were bits of barbed wire, shards of glass and pottery. The usual stuff.

Laying on the ground next to the hole was an old, corroded but quite ornate grinning demon mask made of galvanized sheet iron. The sorta thing that could be dismissed as artwork were it not for the undercurrent of witchcraft and devil-worship in Mexican culture.
Posted By: krp Re: Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 11/27/21
I have found quite a bit of stuff and lost some also... off the top of my head I lost some cheap bushnell binos, elk bugle, old bushnell range finder... setting stuff down and walking away.

I've found some cool stuff, petroglyphs from indians and spanish explores, mining stuff, pottery shards, arrow heads...

Found these, at least a thousand years old in an old ruin, I often will just sit and look out from a ruin, imagining what those people saw from there, what their life could be like and the resources they had... what evidence they left on the ground.

Effigies...

I found this in the early 80s, overlooking a cliff.

In the early 90's, coon hunting by permit around a military camp, a buddy found a fully automatic M16 rifle leaning up against a tree. Dogs were treed and he said it was just right next to the tree they'd treed in. Had some rust. I told him to turn it in after he told me what he'd found. Can you imagine the reamin some youngster got for "losing" that Gov't property. Don't know if he turned it in or not but I said it would probably be jail if he was caught with it being Gov't property and class III.
Originally Posted by JeffP

The rest of that old boy was probably turned into bear schitt!!
Originally Posted by krp
I have found quite a bit of stuff and lost some also... off the top of my head I lost some cheap bushnell binos, elk bugle, old bushnell range finder... setting stuff down and walking away.

I've found some cool stuff, petroglyphs from indians and spanish explores, mining stuff, pottery shards, arrow heads...

Found these, at least a thousand years old in an old ruin, I often will just sit and look out from a ruin, imagining what those people saw from there, what their life could be like and the resources they had... what evidence they left on the ground.

Effigies...

Those are amazing! Any idea the stone type and hardness?
Originally Posted by IZH27

No, couldn't say if they were made in the area or trade ware. Lots of trade ware in central arizona from as far away as the the coast. I've seen huge seashell bracelets and necklaces. I've found travel lodges on long ridges, you can look and see how they would be trade routes from the rivers and valleys, over the mountains.

Kent
I found this in the dirt after it went through a deer yesterday afternoon. How the heck did Barnes put an X in the middle of the bullet?

[Linked Image]
Speaking of Indian stuff, I was prairie dog shooting in SW Wyoming once and saw a shattered pottery jug, all nicely incised with decorations and clearly Indian-made. It sat there exactly as somebody had dropped it who knows how long ago. Had probably been a water jug. I left it the same way. No camera along, darn it.
Originally Posted by krp

No, couldn't say if they were made in the area or trade ware. Lots of trade ware in central arizona from as far away as the the coast. I've seen huge seashell bracelets and necklaces. I've found travel lodges on long ridges, you can look and see how they would be trade routes from the rivers and valleys, over the mountains.

Kent

I have a few arrowheads that I’ve found. I have a few in a shadow box. Like you I will study them wondering about the people who made them. All of the items on this thread ask the same questions.

Does the stone in the effigy seem as hard as granite?
I try to pick up brass and shotgun shells when hunting. Sometimes I get caught up in the moment and forget. Got me in the habit of picking up brass, wads, and shotgun shells. Always makes me wonder if the Hunter got lucky.
Petroglyphs I found in Arizona while elk hunting.

Eastern Oregon finds...

Jud,

good stuff there.

Found a mylar balloon once, too. Usually old logging stuff; broken choker cables and old oil cans being the most common.
Originally Posted by Razorhog
In the early 90's, coon hunting by permit around a military camp, a buddy found a fully automatic M16 rifle leaning up against a tree. Dogs were treed and he said it was just right next to the tree they'd treed in. Had some rust. I told him to turn it in after he told me what he'd found. Can you imagine the reamin some youngster got for "losing" that Gov't property. Don't know if he turned it in or not but I said it would probably be jail if he was caught with it being Gov't property and class III.

1966 thru 1968, my dad was stationed at Pope AFB, which is inside of Ft Bragg, N,C. This was when Vietnam was really cranking up, and there was supposedly a 100,000 troops on base in basic training of some sort... 82nd AB was there, Home of Special Forces, 101st AB was there in 66, and moved to Ft Campbell KY in 67. It almost seemed any military personnel on base feel into two categories... either going to Vietnam or just came back from Vietnam.

There is plenty of land at Ft Bragg being the largest Army installation in the country. Yet there were hunting zones all over the base, and as kids, we'd even wonder into places we shouldn't be. With all the training in the field going on, troops use to ditch all sorts of stuff into the brush so they wouldn't have to carry it. NOt being the only one, other kids in our Scout Troop, or while out hunting with their Dads, would find packs, sleeping bags, and tons of 308 and 223 ammo. Still packaged up, or in detachable magazines, not shot stuff, no rust on it.. just ditched by someone. We were suppose to turn that stuff in, but few ever did. about a decade ago, I took a military sleeping bag to the dump as it was falling apart.. I found that sleeping bag in 1967, and used it for decades, it being ALL over the USA and half of Canada. also found and kept a half dozen Shelter halves, so me and my brother had our own pup tents.. stuff just abandoned.

Several times out hunting, I wandered into artillery impact zones deer hunting... and duds laying all over the place... some marked, many not. Wandered into one, that was scheduled for live fire. It rained shells for 30 minutes. After the first two, I found a foxhole nearby and just dove in and ate dirt. I was 15, but you never want to relive that experience again. The entire earth shook. but stupid kids, and crazy times. Life on military bases as a dependent certainly were nothing like the normal life a kid had, out in the civilian world, especially with Vietnam going on.
Hunted and camped all over Az and have found old building remains, mines, crashed military jets with the bent to hell guns still in them. All kinds of shell casings from cannons to small arms and expended cannon shell heads and practice bombs down on the Barry Goldwater range. Even found an intact rocket half buried in the sand in a wash. Found an intact javalena skull while eating lunch on a rocky gorge side in eastern Az.. Old small nails from the Aravaipa mine there. All kinds of things. Some I kept and some I left. Indian stuff everywhere here. Love to havekept it all but don't have the room.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
[Linked Image]

155mm Howitzer rounds.

Barnes Triple Shock prototypes. 😊
Some really interesting stuff here. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by 19352012
I found some ancient .30-40 Krag rounds a long ways from a BLM road in WY a few years ago. We had a few minutes standing around discussing whose great-grandfather had shot at what? Questions without answers.

Exact same thing here. Spotted an antelope on a ridge top. Hiked around to another ridge to get a shot. Layed down prone. Shot him. Picking up my pack see a cartridge laying there hand covered in sand. Pull it out and it too is a .30-40 Krag on BLM ground in Wyoming. It now rests in my nightstand collection of oddities.
i found a dead guy in the middle of a lonely black top road around 0430 while traveling to my quail hunting spot outside Alachua, Florida. this was about 55 or 60 years ago.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I have a few arrowheads that I’ve found. I have a few in a shadow box. Like you I will study them wondering about the people who made them. All of the items on this thread ask the same questions.

Does the stone in the effigy seem as hard as granite?

Yep hard, not weathered after 1000 years.

Kent
Very nice Kent! I noticed when I was in Arizona with Greg there was a lot cool Ol Indian forts/walls etc. lotsa stuff leftover from illegals too
A buddy and I were taking a break from coyote hunting, sitting on a hilltop, when a fighter jet came up from behind and blew our doors off. Man, I bet that guy laughed his ass off.
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Eastern Oregon finds...

Great finds there 👍

wow cool find

I found a mini ball ball hunting next to Antietam Creek 25 years ago laying on a gravel bar.

Originally Posted by Salmonella

Eastern Oregon finds...

Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Jud,

good stuff there.

Hey Geno, if you ever find one of those old balloons out by Bly, don’t pick it up. eek

OK!

Found not too far from "civilization"

Lid was underneath it still:

And further south a coupla days later I found a big kitty track, right in front of the rocks I decided to eat lunch at, and after I had eaten.

Innocuous piece of clay?

and less than 1/4 mile from a cattle tank that attracts elk and such, bastids didn't even make a cat hole. You'll have to click on the link as I typed in "s h i t"paper in the name and postimage won't let me correct it, so it gets "bleeped"

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/brc5nthz/exposed-[bleep]-near-water.jpg[/img]
Hunting north of Kremmling Colorado about thirty years ago I was sitting in a saddle watching a heavily used deer trail and wondering if anyone else ever was around this trail. Looking down I saw a .30-30 shell casing and about two feet from it was an arrow point. Still got the point in a case with others I have found.
I think some wrangler didn't like his beans and tossed his dinner plate in the bushes a hundred or so years ago. Camera case for scale:

I was looking for Antelope east of Cody, WY. and found several refrigerators buried door side up and flush to the ground. They were on a line of hills above a 2 track that paralleled the Greybull hwy. I can only guess about their purpose.

mike r
Some awesome stuff!!
I found a 25-35 case along a river where it is shallow and the deer cross there. About a mile away I know where there is an old loggers camp with the wood stove still there . I dont know how to post pics anymore since photobucket wont open for me.
The infamous mylar balloon, and NOT near Bly

What appears to be an old ranch antenna on the top of a knoll.

Originally Posted by krp
[quote=krp][quote=IZH27]

No, couldn't say if they were made in the area or trade ware. Lots of trade ware in central arizona from as far away as the the coast. I've seen huge seashell bracelets and necklaces. I've found travel lodges on long ridges, you can look and see how they would be trade routes from the rivers and valleys, over the mo
Kent

That’s an amazing find. If it’s harder than granite those pieces maybe pre CAtaclysm, 12000 years old or more.
Hunting Apache ridge just north of Sandpoint Id. with my cousin, we found a trappers cabin in the center of a grove of Cedar's.
half under ground with a six foot roof extension over the 2ftx3ft door.
inside was a pole frame bed along one side with the head of the bed next to the door. door swung open away from the bed and just cleared a small stove, allowing the trapper to grab fire wood from out under the roof extension. a crude cabinet on the wall completed the abode.
on the inside of the door were signatures starting from 1882 and ending around 1932.
one signature stood out from all the rest. Theodore Roosevelt 1888.
Originally Posted by krp

Effigies...

That last one has some definite Mexican/Mezoamerican looks to it. Pretty cool, no check that WAY cool.

The little amulets are great too.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
lots of old brass. always enjoyed that, thinking of hunts and hunters of the past.

a few arrows.

once found a flip phone burned over, probably dropped out of a fire fighters pocket or pack.

Let us know when you find out why you like Zero, Hillbiotch, Pedo Joe, illegal aliens and commies.
Found a smoldering evergreen with a few small flames one AM after a night of thunderstorms, north of Delores a mile from Eagle Peak on a ridge line. Trunk was about 10 inches in diameter.

Calvary Army officers brass button in Central Texas as a kid.

B and L binocs in the fork of a pinion south of Cloudcroft.

An old large cal lead slug near an old crossing on the Pecos River.

Shot a big herd bull with my 270 Wby Mag, Bearclaw bullet, on a ridge east of Valleceto Res in Co which had a nearly healed but still slightly weeping bullet hole in about 10 inches high on its side and just behind the shoulder. Inside the scab and gristle and buried in a rib was a flattened 58 cal hp and hollow base lead ML bullet. Almost a perfect heart shot.
When cutting him up i found an old style long 2 blade broadhead buried in his spine just above the front end of the tenderloin. It had healed over.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

I am not exactly an expert on what the aftermath of a lightening strike looks like....but I guess it is possible. I saw no obvious blown off branches or roots though. The only burn marks I could see looked like those from a regular fire on trunks, with no other damage.

Funny that all the trees in the south in low country I've seen hit by lightning just have a burn mark without bark down the tree.

Some of the evergreens I've seen hit on mountain ridges in NM and Co have generally appeared to have been blown up with dynomite and often have big 3-5 foot long and 8 inch thick pieces maybe blown 5- 10 or more yards away. Those flying pieces alone could kill a man near the tree it seems.
I think some wrangler didn't like his beans and tossed his dinner plate in the bushes a hundred or so years ago. Camera case for scale:

An early Frisbee 😊
Originally Posted by navlav8r

An early Frisbee 😊

Play hell on a dogs teeth, that's for sure.
Not hunting but I used to do a little gold dredging in my early 20s. We had struck a deal with a guy that owned a claim along a secondary creek in the Cariboo river drainage. Big history here this is where Billy Barker had passed through and over a summit and down in to what became Barkerville where many including him struck it rich in the mid 1800s.

Anyways the old guy that owned this claim and lived on it most of the year had always wondered about a steep canyon with a series of small water falls within his claim. It was mainly bed rock both sides, extremely rugged and he had no way of working right in the creek so decided to get us in there to scope it out for him on a shares deal. My partner , me and the claim owner spent a half a day walking the creek to decide if it was feasable. The canyon itself was really rugged ground and me being the young guy, I made it down to a couple of spots with pools along the creek where the older guys were good with watching me from a safer perch up top.

Basically I was looking for pools we could hopefully lower our little dredge and gear down with ropes and check for gold. At one spot I saw something strange in a tree. It was about 30 inch fir tree that split in to two stems about 3 feet off the ground. Something was sticking out of the tree about a foot below the split. It was metal! I went around to the other side of the tree and there's the other side of a miner's pick. The handle about completely rotted off but still visible and most of the steel imbedded in the tree. Obviously someone had leaned it against the fork many years ago and the tree had completely grown around it. I thought about getting an axe and chopping it out for a keep sake but thought again and left it right as it was. Maybe its still there nearly 40 years later?
I have found old indian abodes in the heads of canyons in the Delores/ Dove Creek country obviously made by the Anasazi.

Found a hole in the ground near the tip of a ridge ending just short of the narrow Sacremento River south of Cloudcroft. It had a small 1x 2 foot by 8 foot long opening out one side to the side of the ridge from the 8 ft diameter room.

Had a couple of names scratched in the boulder walls with dates from the 1880s if i remember correctly.

I expect the 4 lane expressway they built down past the old Circle Cross Ranch and Timberon community has destroyed any easy access having cut the tips off the ridges jutting into the narrow Sac river valley. I used to pull up a good ways into the side canyons to hunt and camp.
Originally Posted by Salty303
Not hunting but I used to do a little gold dredging in my early 20s.

Buddy and I have been looking for a lost town and mining operation and a couple weeks ago found wagon parts including two axles and some linkages.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/bVhN6Fg.mp4[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8qazWOp.mp4[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/S0qtlG9.mp4[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I found a 25-35 case along a river where it is shallow and the deer cross there. About a mile away I know where there is an old loggers camp with the wood stove still there . I dont know how to post pics anymore since photobucket wont open for me.
Found a civil war era bayonet in a stump while hunting around Nokesville, VA some years ago. Socket mostly rusted away, blade still identifiable. Found a minie ball with teeth marks in it near a small building foundation in the same area. Thinking someone may have had to bite the bullet during surgery. Gave both to the landowner.

Old70
Posted By: EdM Re: Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 11/28/21
A Canon AE-1 well out of Leadville Colorado just showing beneath the snow while elk hunting first season maybe 20 years ago. I pulled the film and had it developed and every picture taken were fine, a Leadville parade. The balance of the photos that I snapped were a fail. I still have the camera...
Originally Posted by Fireball2
A buddy and I were taking a break from coyote hunting, sitting on a hilltop, when a fighter jet came up from behind and blew our doors off. Man, I bet that guy laughed his ass off.

He probably never saw you…
Sat down on a rock near US Creek outside of Fairbanks to look for caribou.

I remember thinking “this is remote. I’ll bet I’m the first person to ever sit here.”

Then looked down and found two spent 30-06 cases in the dirt.

Still have one.
Cool stories and finds guys. 👍
some of the same as above. cartridge cases, lots of mylar balloons (often you can see them reflecting the sun hundreds of yards away, I try to check them and see if there's a letter attached, maybe from some 3rd grade class 1500 miles away..... )

I'm surprised no one said arrows, (modern archery hunting arrows) I've got 5 or 6 lying around that I picked up over the years. Horseshoes, a few of those.

I've found a few places here in AZ where the ground is littered with pottery shards.

My father found a pair of 1800's era Field Glasses (like binoculars but earlier technology), he tried to restore them, but one objective lens is eroded pretty bad, I still have them.

One guy I hunt with found the radiosond part of a weather balloon once.

In another state decades ago, I found the military base ID card of a dependent kid, and a bone (probably deer) nearby, but the combination was spooky, I mailed the card back to the base just in case they had an open missing person investigation, never heard back, so it was probably just dropped on a hiking trip or something....

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten about...
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Sat down on a rock near US Creek outside of Fairbanks to look for caribou.

I remember thinking “this is remote. I’ll bet I’m the first person to ever sit here.”

Then looked down and found two spent 30-06 cases in the dirt.

Still have one.

I drove past the US Creek turnoff a couple of hours ago. Lots of caribou hunters parked there but I didn't see anything in their sleds.
Found a bloody Buck 110 folder on a two track leading away from Saginaw Bay.

Nestled in some extinct sand dunes north of Wycamp Lake, Emmet County were a pile of Coleman fuel gallon cans, aluminum foil and a bunch of other debris. Found out later that it was a woodland drug lab. Not far from where some squatters had set up next to an artesian well at a state forest campground. LE evicted them when they became an attractive nuisance for local teenagers.
Tag
I found the work of a shrike while chukar hunting in Idaho a few years ago.

While working my way into a narrow Missouri Break, I came across a horse skeleton. A snaffle bit was still in its mouth, no bridal leather, two rosettes and other bridal hardware. Saddle tree and stirrup wood and some hardware, 4 horseshoes. Corroded belt buckle. Fence staples and fencing pliers.
Originally Posted by roundoak
While working my way into a narrow Missouri Break, I came across a horse skeleton. A snaffle bit was still in its mouth, no bridal leather, two rosettes and other bridal hardware. Saddle tree and stirrup wood and some hardware, 4 horseshoes. Corroded belt buckle. Fence staples and fencing pliers.

That would spook me some.
Many years ago there was a thread about things found in the woods. Someone posted about finding a tree in the middle of nowhere with naked barbie dolls tied into it in various creepy poses.
Following dots……
Until I can remember what I’ve found.

That might be a bit suspicious….it would make my alert go from yellow to Orange. 😬

Damn…
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I was looking for Antelope east of Cody, WY. and found several refrigerators buried door side up and flush to the ground. They were on a line of hills above a 2 track that paralleled the Greybull hwy. I can only guess about their purpose.

mike r

lvmiker;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the Thanksgiving weekend has been a good one for you all so far.

Thanks for the story, it twigged a memory that'd been misplaced somehow until I read it.

I was wondering off the usual trails we'd go on Carly the Appy one fall day when I saw the same thing - only one refrigerator or freezer though - that'd been buried and covered with brush. From on the tall horse I saw it, but wasn't sure I'd have seen it on the ground.

Anyways I assumed it was some of the local grow op guys storing weed as it wasn't legal back then - this would have been maybe '95 or so?

While I did have a 94 sitting comfortably under my left leg, I had no desire to get into any sort of social discussion with a grow op tender - if that's what it was - so I just nudged Carly into a lope and we left the area.

Again I don't know what was in it, but somebody had gone through a bunch of bother burying that thing that far back in the BC mountains.

Thanks for twigging the memory and all the best.

Dwayne

Damn…

That would make a cool euro mount.
Recently.

Originally Posted by sawbuck
Many years ago there was a thread about things found in the woods. Someone posted about finding a tree in the middle of nowhere with naked barbie dolls tied into it in various creepy poses.

No SAC was here engraving?
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Recently.

Boy it’s a dry sumbitch over there Sam
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Sounds like renegade50 and slumlord chasing deer away from the neighbor's fenceline stand.
Jud, the country side is a little nervous.
Gettin' old here fellas.

remembered something cool I found a while back, hunting grouse in WA. Couldn't remember where the pics were, then forgot what it was altogether.

Just jogged my memory. It was near a Wilderness Survival School bordering a National Forest. Went to pinch a loaf, looked over at a tree while I was busy and saw a paracord coming down from a branch about 3' up in the air. Got my work done, went over and checked it out.

It was a dang snare set up, rock on one end, cord through a smooth buckle like from a pack or something so the line would run freely, and on the other end was a small wire snare, maybe big enough for a squirrel or such. I'll see if I can find the pics.
Arrowheads are about all I’ve ever found.

On a high mess on a Mule Deer Hunt in MT, I found an old wolf trap chained to a tree.

In an old overhang cliff / cave in the TX Hill Country, I found a little midden, or ancient fire pit. The Wall was black from eons of Campfire smoke. Good place to get out of the rain or a stormy weather campsite. Digging around I found several pieces of 44 Henry rimfire brass and one old 50/70 brass case.
Made me wonder if they used the black powder from the rifle cases to start their Campfire ?
I've found the fence cut and gates tossed open a few times lately.

The hazards of bein' a rich family rancher?

Y'all have a good one, I'm turning in.
Later Geno.

They do that to freetail bats around here. Had a pair on the school campus doing that to house sparrows, the fledged young would gather and tear the bloody carcasses apart like a flock of velociraptors. I’ve seen em chase down and catch hummingbirds and carrying dead cardinals. Shrikes are the honey badgers of the songbird world.
Hunting with my son a few years ago, he says “dad, the ground is moving”.

I reply wtf? Did you eat a mushroom?

Him: look…. It’s moving.

We found a mole.

Pretty funny.

C'mon man, what kinda of crazy photo is that?

I have one similar:

Someone else posted a cat paw print - I also have one of those:

I also found a couple of funnel web spider nests, in Queensland (not that nasty Sydney funnel web spider but I still didn't poke around with it):

Also had a partial lunar eclipse back in 2014:

Is that why you and the horse had to go looking for/couldn't find the cows?
I found my best friend, Daisy in the woods in March of 2008 while coyote hunting. She was nothing but skin and bones and her face and front of her body were full of porcupine quills. We took her back to camp and fed her and started pulling out the quills. I took her to my home and my wife and son pulled out more quills. I put an announcement on the local radio station about her and a guy described her to a tee and showed up that night to claim her. I told him what she looked like when I found her and that we had made an appointment with the vet and he should keep it. He said she had been gone for 2 weeks and he could doctor her up himself and went on to tell how the neighbors called Animal Control because they thought he didn't take good care of them. He said she was just a throw-in on the deal when he got another dog. The previous owner was moving and was going take her out and shoot her the next day if she didn't have a home. After the guy left I told my wife, "If I ever see that dog running loose I'm going to keep her and there won't be any phone calls".
Two months later one of my friends called and said that dog is back at camp, hiding in the pole barn. I drove up, went out back and whistled and she came running out and jumped into the back seat of my truck. We had her for almost 13 years and she was the best friend I ever had. I figured it up the other day and we had walked over 6,000 miles together, just Daisy and I. All she ever asked was to be loved.
The last year saw her physical and mental health decline quickly. I knew the day was coming and dreaded it. As usual, Daisy made it easy for us. She just wandered out back, laid down and went to Dog Heaven. I hope she is waiting for me when I get there. It's amazing how a "throw-in dog" stole our hearts the way she did.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I found my best friend, Daisy in the woods in March of 2008 while coyote hunting. She was nothing but skin and bones and her face and front of her body were full of porcupine quills. We took her back to camp and fed her and started pulling out the quills. I took her to my home and my wife and son pulled out more quills. I put an announcement on the local radio station about her and a guy described her to a tee and showed up that night to claim her. I told him what she looked like when I found her and that we had made an appointment with the vet and he should keep it. He said she had been gone for 2 weeks and he could doctor her up himself and went on to tell how the neighbors called Animal Control because they thought he didn't take good care of them. He said she was just a throw-in on the deal when he got another dog. The previous owner was moving and was going take her out and shoot her the next day if she didn't have a home. After the guy left I told my wife, "If I ever see that dog running loose I'm going to keep her and there won't be any phone calls".
Two months later one of my friends called and said that dog is back at camp, hiding in the pole barn. I drove up, went out back and whistled and she came running out and jumped into the back seat of my truck. We had her for almost 13 years and she was the best friend I ever had. I figured it up the other day and we had walked over 6,000 miles together, just Daisy and I. All she ever asked was to be loved.
The last year saw her physical and mental health decline quickly. I knew the day was coming and dreaded it. As usual, Daisy made it easy for us. She just wandered out back, laid down and went to Dog Heaven. I hope she is waiting for me when I get there. It's amazing how a "throw-in dog" stole our hearts the way she did.

Awesome story. Thanks
Posted By: JimH Re: Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 11/28/21

Awesome story. Thanks
Wonderful story,many thanks.
Originally Posted by JimH

Awesome story. Thanks

Dogs pay us back many times the cost. The hardest thing is saying goodbye.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Awesome story. Thanks

That is the truth. "Man's best friend" they truly are.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Awesome story. Thanks

Great story, I’ve found free dogs make some of the best. Lost my whole pack in the last year, my jack Russell, chocolate lab and the Ol weinie dog last week. Tough go.

Got a new one couple months ago, she’s shapin up pretty good.
Dang Jud, that's a rough go. Sorry to hear
Ya bad year, jack was 16, lab and weinie were 14. I’ll spread em out better this time
In Colarado, going up a steep hill on the edge of a meadow, a green
glass insulator. The old ones that screwed onto a threaded piece of Locust.
The wood was gone, no sign of any poles, tight of way... I think there had
been a mine further up the hollow at one time.

Not too much else really interesting.

One day in West Virginia Dad had to crap.
Found a nice pine at the end of the ridge, a good place to
overlook and Pop a Squat.

He got to kicking out a hole,
And found that he was the second guy to like that spot!
New pup looks like a winner though.
She’s gonna be a dandy, fetches like a sumbitch, sits and is house trained, born September 4th. Need to get her on some birds
This is the best thread I’ve read in my years sitting around The ‘Fire. Thanks to all.
Good deal, beats the political, covid, arguing bullshiit that is posted daily 👍
Found this on a moose hunt out on the chilcotin in bc.

She’s gonna be a dandy, fetches like a sumbitch, sits and is house trained, born September 4th. Need to get her on some birds

Waterfowl, upland, or both?
Upland. 👍

There’s a good write up about Squirrel Peanut Butter on wikipedia. “The one with the peanut on top” 😊
I’ll check it out. First time I ever saw squirrel peanut butter
Upland. 👍

Nice! Big fan, myself. If you want to sync up, holler
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Upland. 👍

Nice! Big fan, myself. If you want to synch up, holler

Will do. 👍 Buddy in Montana has access to alotta great cock killin on the ranch he works on. Probably gonna end up making a few trip over there every year now.
Can't pass that up
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter

Nestled in some extinct sand dunes north of Wycamp Lake, Emmet County were a pile of Coleman fuel gallon cans, aluminum foil and a bunch of other debris. Found out later that it was a woodland drug lab. Not far from where some squatters had set up next to an artesian well at a state forest campground. LE evicted them when they became an attractive nuisance for local teenagers.

Wycamp lake is just a few miles west of me. It used to be a very popular place for people to set up a camp for the whole summer, especially the Indians from nearby Cross Village. It was closed to camping several years ago, unfortunately.
Mining claim paperwork from 1935 in a Prince Albert can. At about 10'500 ft Sweetwater Mountains.

I have a print identical to your wild Turkey place mat hanging over my fireplace. 😊
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Mining claim paperwork from 1935 in a Prince Albert can. At about 10'500 ft Sweetwater Mountains.

Very cool!

Guy is going to be pissed when he starts looking for it and you took it. But otherwise that's really neat.

Guy is going to be pissed when he starts looking for it and you took it. But otherwise that's really neat.

Literally turning in his grave.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I have a print identical to your wild Turkey place mat hanging over my fireplace. 😊

I've got four different placemat prints from that artist. Pops got them from a Wild Turkey promotion back in the 70's I believe.

Judman;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I hope all in your fine family are well and that this Thanksgiving weekend has been a good one for you all.

Thanks for the thread and specifically thanks for the photo of the Squirrel peanut butter. I happen to be old enough to remember those cans or something very similar! wink

As I mentioned in my other post here, I did find a buried fridge one time, but otherwise it's just been a couple of knives that I can recall off the top of my head.

My neighbor and hunting buddy found a nice Kershaw knife this year, along with a .308" Bore Snake and a Parker Hale detachable mag that had unfortunately been run over a couple times. I don't believe I can repair that Parker Hale mag, which is a pity as the last one I saw at a gun show was $100 CDN.

Anyways sir, thanks for the memories and the thread.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne
Hell ya buddy, actually some very cool stories posted thus far, when I started this I just figured it would be a short blurb about the 2 casings I found.. turned out much better than that. 👍
Good stuff there mauser!

That's a very good day to be borned!
I found this on my land whilst hunting this weekend. I think it had been buried under a bunch of scrub but with the dry summer and the local rancher sending his cattle to my area, there was enough grazing to uncover the plate.

Originally Posted by bruinruin

Wycamp lake is just a few miles west of me. It used to be a very popular place for people to set up a camp for the whole summer, especially the Indians from nearby Cross Village. It was closed to camping several years ago, unfortunately.

We would often "find" tribal hunters set up when scouting a few days before the 11/15 opener. One opener night just after shooting closed 20 or so rounds were let off with bullets whistling over our head. Minutes later while driving on Wycamp Lake Rd. we "found" a gent dressed in black, armed with an AK and a chest rig with beaucoup magazine pouches. We noted that deer hunters including us were out and about in the woods where they were shooting. He said they had lots more ammo. Bizarre and unsettling. There was an old trailer with Ohio plates nearby that had been there for a while. LE took it away.
When I was about 15 (early 80s) my buddy and I were hunting my grandparents property, which backed up to a couple thousand acres of state land in north central NJ. In a small clearing on the edge of the property we stumbled across about a 30’ square patch of cannabis, with big ripe buds on the stems. I was sorta a strait laced kid but my buddy was a bit nuts. I convinced him we needed to get the F outta there, but then a few days later he called me to come over to his house. His room smelled like an Amsterdam “coffee shop”. He had gone back up there and stripped the buds off every single plant and proceeded to sell it all at school over the next few weeks.

We would often "find" tribal hunters set up when scouting a few days before the 11/15 opener. One opener night just after shooting closed 20 or so rounds were let off with bullets whistling over our head. Minutes later while driving on Wycamp Lake Rd. we "found" a gent dressed in black, armed with an AK and a chest rig with beaucoup magazine pouches. We noted that deer hunters including us were out and about in the woods where they were shooting. He said they had lots more ammo. Bizarre and unsettling. There was an old trailer with Ohio plates nearby that had been there for a while. LE took it away.

tribal = hmong?
Originally Posted by Sycamore

tribal = hmong?

Ottawa
Originally Posted by Remsen
I found this on my land whilst hunting this weekend. I think it had been buried under a bunch of scrub but with the dry summer and the local rancher sending his cattle to my area, there was enough grazing to uncover the plate.

A fitting plate. Keep that on the wall.

DNR - 1087

Do Not Resuscitate - Murder

🦫👍🏼
Was hunting with a much older hunting buddy that has since passed in the Kisatchie National Forest between Summerfield, LA and Junction City, AR about 15 or 16 years ago and about a mile off the road we walked up on an old grave site with a hand carved headstone that stood about 4 feet tall. The mans name was John (cant remember the last name). I remember the head stone saying he was born in 1848. Don't remember the date of death but I'm wanting to say he only lived about 50 years. Wish I could remember how to get back to it. I remember thinking it was such a cool find but it was also kind of ere.
Posted By: 673 Re: Stuff a guy finds out huntin. - 12/02/21
Reading some of the finds here made me remember the time...........my Son and I were Elk hunting, and I found the skeleton of a Cow Elk at the bottom of a 20ft cliff, beside it was the skeleton of a Coyote, both laying the same beside one another.

The cliff was only 40ft long on a heavily timbered gentle slope.

I showed my Son the skeletons, it was weird, I think the Coyote ran the Elk over the edge and he went down too. They were laying like someone had put them there, but since I had too wade across a raging glacial creek, then walk for an hour up the hill to reach the site, I thought it was unlikely.
Dino bones.
Dino bones.

That's pretty cool!
Cool thread!

Me and another guy found what appeared to be a dino ribcage sticking out the side of a washed out hill in western ND. I wanted to stop and inspect and his reply to this request was "we're not hunting F'n dinosaurs!" lol
Originally Posted by Remsen

Remsen, at first glance I thought that was a scenic view behind your woodstove with a river running through it.
Mom found a .256 Newton case while digging in her garden by Moose Can Gulch, up on the hillside South of Missoula. Some deer hunter, no doubt.

I was sneaking through the snowbrush, hunting grouse up Albert Cr, West of Missoula and found a skull neatly perched on a hummock of moss. It was from a 3 year old black bear. Still have it.
In the 1970s we used to spot and stalk red fox. Took the foxpro, last year, to a farm that I hadn't hunted since I was in high school. Set up on the bottom end of a waterway that meandered almost to the top of a ridge to my south.

Found an old .17 Rem case in the dirt. No doubt mine, from nearly 50 years ago...
Judman: Your "find" reminds me a casing I found 35+ years ago high up in a basin on Wyomings Carter Mountain.
I was Hunting Mule Deer and it was snowing lightly when I bino'ed some "Mule Deer" about 1,500' feet higher up on the mountain.
I started climbing and working my way through several intervening cliffs including one spot that was scary to traverse (narrow ledge that had a 100' drop off!).
Once I got past/above the cliffs I thought to myself NO ONE else would be crazy enough to slither along that ledge - I bet I am the only one to ever get up into this hanging basin.
I was wrong on two counts - the "Mule Deer" I was stalking turned out to be a large band of Bighorn Sheep Rams and when I sat down to rest behind a large boulder I looked down and there was a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart casing laying there (Norma IIRC?).
It is well patina'ed and I have it to this day.
I thought, that Hunter from years past must surely have taken a Bighorn Ram with that case from that spot.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Cool stories. Keep 'em coming!
© 24hourcampfire