Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I found this on my land whilst hunting this weekend. I think it had been buried under a bunch of scrub but with the dry summer and the local rancher sending his cattle to my area, there was enough grazing to uncover the plate.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Found a bloody Buck 110 folder on a two track leading away from Saginaw Bay.

Nestled in some extinct sand dunes north of Wycamp Lake, Emmet County were a pile of Coleman fuel gallon cans, aluminum foil and a bunch of other debris. Found out later that it was a woodland drug lab. Not far from where some squatters had set up next to an artesian well at a state forest campground. LE evicted them when they became an attractive nuisance for local teenagers.

Wycamp lake is just a few miles west of me. It used to be a very popular place for people to set up a camp for the whole summer, especially the Indians from nearby Cross Village. It was closed to camping several years ago, unfortunately.

We would often "find" tribal hunters set up when scouting a few days before the 11/15 opener. One opener night just after shooting closed 20 or so rounds were let off with bullets whistling over our head. Minutes later while driving on Wycamp Lake Rd. we "found" a gent dressed in black, armed with an AK and a chest rig with beaucoup magazine pouches. We noted that deer hunters including us were out and about in the woods where they were shooting. He said they had lots more ammo. Bizarre and unsettling. There was an old trailer with Ohio plates nearby that had been there for a while. LE took it away.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
When I was about 15 (early 80s) my buddy and I were hunting my grandparents property, which backed up to a couple thousand acres of state land in north central NJ. In a small clearing on the edge of the property we stumbled across about a 30’ square patch of cannabis, with big ripe buds on the stems. I was sorta a strait laced kid but my buddy was a bit nuts. I convinced him we needed to get the F outta there, but then a few days later he called me to come over to his house. His room smelled like an Amsterdam “coffee shop”. He had gone back up there and stripped the buds off every single plant and proceeded to sell it all at school over the next few weeks.

Last edited by Paul_C; 11/29/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nestled in some extinct sand dunes north of Wycamp Lake, Emmet County were a pile of Coleman fuel gallon cans, aluminum foil and a bunch of other debris. Found out later that it was a woodland drug lab. Not far from where some squatters had set up next to an artesian well at a state forest campground. LE evicted them when they became an attractive nuisance for local teenagers.

Wycamp lake is just a few miles west of me. It used to be a very popular place for people to set up a camp for the whole summer, especially the Indians from nearby Cross Village. It was closed to camping several years ago, unfortunately.

We would often "find" tribal hunters set up when scouting a few days before the 11/15 opener. One opener night just after shooting closed 20 or so rounds were let off with bullets whistling over our head. Minutes later while driving on Wycamp Lake Rd. we "found" a gent dressed in black, armed with an AK and a chest rig with beaucoup magazine pouches. We noted that deer hunters including us were out and about in the woods where they were shooting. He said they had lots more ammo. Bizarre and unsettling. There was an old trailer with Ohio plates nearby that had been there for a while. LE took it away.

tribal = hmong?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Sycamore

tribal = hmong?

Ottawa

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remsen
I found this on my land whilst hunting this weekend. I think it had been buried under a bunch of scrub but with the dry summer and the local rancher sending his cattle to my area, there was enough grazing to uncover the plate.

A fitting plate. Keep that on the wall.

DNR - 1087

Do Not Resuscitate - Murder

🦫👍🏼

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Was hunting with a much older hunting buddy that has since passed in the Kisatchie National Forest between Summerfield, LA and Junction City, AR about 15 or 16 years ago and about a mile off the road we walked up on an old grave site with a hand carved headstone that stood about 4 feet tall. The mans name was John (cant remember the last name). I remember the head stone saying he was born in 1848. Don't remember the date of death but I'm wanting to say he only lived about 50 years. Wish I could remember how to get back to it. I remember thinking it was such a cool find but it was also kind of ere.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading some of the finds here made me remember the time...........my Son and I were Elk hunting, and I found the skeleton of a Cow Elk at the bottom of a 20ft cliff, beside it was the skeleton of a Coyote, both laying the same beside one another.

The cliff was only 40ft long on a heavily timbered gentle slope.

I showed my Son the skeletons, it was weird, I think the Coyote ran the Elk over the edge and he went down too. They were laying like someone had put them there, but since I had too wade across a raging glacial creek, then walk for an hour up the hill to reach the site, I thought it was unlikely.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dino bones.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Dino bones.

That's pretty cool!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cool thread!

Me and another guy found what appeared to be a dino ribcage sticking out the side of a washed out hill in western ND. I wanted to stop and inspect and his reply to this request was "we're not hunting F'n dinosaurs!" lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Remsen

Remsen, at first glance I thought that was a scenic view behind your woodstove with a river running through it.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mom found a .256 Newton case while digging in her garden by Moose Can Gulch, up on the hillside South of Missoula. Some deer hunter, no doubt.

I was sneaking through the snowbrush, hunting grouse up Albert Cr, West of Missoula and found a skull neatly perched on a hummock of moss. It was from a 3 year old black bear. Still have it.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 1970s we used to spot and stalk red fox. Took the foxpro, last year, to a farm that I hadn't hunted since I was in high school. Set up on the bottom end of a waterway that meandered almost to the top of a ridge to my south.

Found an old .17 Rem case in the dirt. No doubt mine, from nearly 50 years ago...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Judman: Your "find" reminds me a casing I found 35+ years ago high up in a basin on Wyomings Carter Mountain.
I was Hunting Mule Deer and it was snowing lightly when I bino'ed some "Mule Deer" about 1,500' feet higher up on the mountain.
I started climbing and working my way through several intervening cliffs including one spot that was scary to traverse (narrow ledge that had a 100' drop off!).
Once I got past/above the cliffs I thought to myself NO ONE else would be crazy enough to slither along that ledge - I bet I am the only one to ever get up into this hanging basin.
I was wrong on two counts - the "Mule Deer" I was stalking turned out to be a large band of Bighorn Sheep Rams and when I sat down to rest behind a large boulder I looked down and there was a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart casing laying there (Norma IIRC?).
It is well patina'ed and I have it to this day.
I thought, that Hunter from years past must surely have taken a Bighorn Ram with that case from that spot.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cool stories. Keep 'em coming!

The original Frito Bandito!
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 53 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,678
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.