Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Arrowheads are about all I’ve ever found.

On a high mess on a Mule Deer Hunt in MT, I found an old wolf trap chained to a tree.

In an old overhang cliff / cave in the TX Hill Country, I found a little midden, or ancient fire pit. The Wall was black from eons of Campfire smoke. Good place to get out of the rain or a stormy weather campsite. Digging around I found several pieces of 44 Henry rimfire brass and one old 50/70 brass case.
Made me wonder if they used the black powder from the rifle cases to start their Campfire ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've found the fence cut and gates tossed open a few times lately.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson

The hazards of bein' a rich family rancher?

Y'all have a good one, I'm turning in.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Later Geno.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I found the work of a shrike while chukar hunting in Idaho a few years ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They do that to freetail bats around here. Had a pair on the school campus doing that to house sparrows, the fledged young would gather and tear the bloody carcasses apart like a flock of velociraptors. I’ve seen em chase down and catch hummingbirds and carrying dead cardinals. Shrikes are the honey badgers of the songbird world.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hunting with my son a few years ago, he says “dad, the ground is moving”.

I reply wtf? Did you eat a mushroom?

Him: look…. It’s moving.

We found a mole.

Pretty funny.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I found the work of a shrike while chukar hunting in Idaho a few years ago.

C'mon man, what kinda of crazy photo is that?

I have one similar:

Someone else posted a cat paw print - I also have one of those:

I also found a couple of funnel web spider nests, in Queensland (not that nasty Sydney funnel web spider but I still didn't poke around with it):

Also had a partial lunar eclipse back in 2014:

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Is that why you and the horse had to go looking for/couldn't find the cows?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I found my best friend, Daisy in the woods in March of 2008 while coyote hunting. She was nothing but skin and bones and her face and front of her body were full of porcupine quills. We took her back to camp and fed her and started pulling out the quills. I took her to my home and my wife and son pulled out more quills. I put an announcement on the local radio station about her and a guy described her to a tee and showed up that night to claim her. I told him what she looked like when I found her and that we had made an appointment with the vet and he should keep it. He said she had been gone for 2 weeks and he could doctor her up himself and went on to tell how the neighbors called Animal Control because they thought he didn't take good care of them. He said she was just a throw-in on the deal when he got another dog. The previous owner was moving and was going take her out and shoot her the next day if she didn't have a home. After the guy left I told my wife, "If I ever see that dog running loose I'm going to keep her and there won't be any phone calls".
Two months later one of my friends called and said that dog is back at camp, hiding in the pole barn. I drove up, went out back and whistled and she came running out and jumped into the back seat of my truck. We had her for almost 13 years and she was the best friend I ever had. I figured it up the other day and we had walked over 6,000 miles together, just Daisy and I. All she ever asked was to be loved.
The last year saw her physical and mental health decline quickly. I knew the day was coming and dreaded it. As usual, Daisy made it easy for us. She just wandered out back, laid down and went to Dog Heaven. I hope she is waiting for me when I get there. It's amazing how a "throw-in dog" stole our hearts the way she did.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I found my best friend, Daisy in the woods in March of 2008 while coyote hunting. She was nothing but skin and bones and her face and front of her body were full of porcupine quills. We took her back to camp and fed her and started pulling out the quills. I took her to my home and my wife and son pulled out more quills. I put an announcement on the local radio station about her and a guy described her to a tee and showed up that night to claim her. I told him what she looked like when I found her and that we had made an appointment with the vet and he should keep it. He said she had been gone for 2 weeks and he could doctor her up himself and went on to tell how the neighbors called Animal Control because they thought he didn't take good care of them. He said she was just a throw-in on the deal when he got another dog. The previous owner was moving and was going take her out and shoot her the next day if she didn't have a home. After the guy left I told my wife, "If I ever see that dog running loose I'm going to keep her and there won't be any phone calls".
Two months later one of my friends called and said that dog is back at camp, hiding in the pole barn. I drove up, went out back and whistled and she came running out and jumped into the back seat of my truck. We had her for almost 13 years and she was the best friend I ever had. I figured it up the other day and we had walked over 6,000 miles together, just Daisy and I. All she ever asked was to be loved.
The last year saw her physical and mental health decline quickly. I knew the day was coming and dreaded it. As usual, Daisy made it easy for us. She just wandered out back, laid down and went to Dog Heaven. I hope she is waiting for me when I get there. It's amazing how a "throw-in dog" stole our hearts the way she did.

Awesome story. Thanks

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 19352012

Awesome story. Thanks
Wonderful story,many thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimH

Awesome story. Thanks

Dogs pay us back many times the cost. The hardest thing is saying goodbye.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Awesome story. Thanks

That is the truth. "Man's best friend" they truly are.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Awesome story. Thanks

Great story, I’ve found free dogs make some of the best. Lost my whole pack in the last year, my jack Russell, chocolate lab and the Ol weinie dog last week. Tough go.

Got a new one couple months ago, she’s shapin up pretty good.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dang Jud, that's a rough go. Sorry to hear

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya bad year, jack was 16, lab and weinie were 14. I’ll spread em out better this time

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Colarado, going up a steep hill on the edge of a meadow, a green
glass insulator. The old ones that screwed onto a threaded piece of Locust.
The wood was gone, no sign of any poles, tight of way... I think there had
been a mine further up the hollow at one time.

Not too much else really interesting.

One day in West Virginia Dad had to crap.
Found a nice pine at the end of the ridge, a good place to
overlook and Pop a Squat.

He got to kicking out a hole,
And found that he was the second guy to like that spot!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
New pup looks like a winner though.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
She’s gonna be a dandy, fetches like a sumbitch, sits and is house trained, born September 4th. Need to get her on some birds

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is the best thread I’ve read in my years sitting around The ‘Fire. Thanks to all.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.