W
Some awesome stuff!!

Molon Labe
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I found a 25-35 case along a river where it is shallow and the deer cross there. About a mile away I know where there is an old loggers camp with the wood stove still there . I dont know how to post pics anymore since photobucket wont open for me.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The infamous mylar balloon, and NOT near Bly

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What appears to be an old ranch antenna on the top of a knoll.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by IZH27
[quote=krp][quote=IZH27]

Those are amazing! Any idea the stone type and hardness?

No, couldn't say if they were made in the area or trade ware. Lots of trade ware in central arizona from as far away as the the coast. I've seen huge seashell bracelets and necklaces. I've found travel lodges on long ridges, you can look and see how they would be trade routes from the rivers and valleys, over the mo
Kent

That’s an amazing find. If it’s harder than granite those pieces maybe pre CAtaclysm, 12000 years old or more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting Apache ridge just north of Sandpoint Id. with my cousin, we found a trappers cabin in the center of a grove of Cedar's.
half under ground with a six foot roof extension over the 2ftx3ft door.
inside was a pole frame bed along one side with the head of the bed next to the door. door swung open away from the bed and just cleared a small stove, allowing the trapper to grab fire wood from out under the roof extension. a crude cabinet on the wall completed the abode.
on the inside of the door were signatures starting from 1882 and ending around 1932.
one signature stood out from all the rest. Theodore Roosevelt 1888.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
I have found quite a bit of stuff and lost some also... off the top of my head I lost some cheap bushnell binos, elk bugle, old bushnell range finder... setting stuff down and walking away.

I've found some cool stuff, petroglyphs from indians and spanish explores, mining stuff, pottery shards, arrow heads...

Found these, at least a thousand years old in an old ruin, I often will just sit and look out from a ruin, imagining what those people saw from there, what their life could be like and the resources they had... what evidence they left on the ground.

Effigies...

I found this in the early 80s, overlooking a cliff.

That last one has some definite Mexican/Mezoamerican looks to it. Pretty cool, no check that WAY cool.

The little amulets are great too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Sycamore
lots of old brass. always enjoyed that, thinking of hunts and hunters of the past.

a few arrows.

once found a flip phone burned over, probably dropped out of a fire fighters pocket or pack.

Let us know when you find out why you like Zero, Hillbiotch, Pedo Joe, illegal aliens and commies.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Found a smoldering evergreen with a few small flames one AM after a night of thunderstorms, north of Delores a mile from Eagle Peak on a ridge line. Trunk was about 10 inches in diameter.

Calvary Army officers brass button in Central Texas as a kid.

B and L binocs in the fork of a pinion south of Cloudcroft.

An old large cal lead slug near an old crossing on the Pecos River.

Shot a big herd bull with my 270 Wby Mag, Bearclaw bullet, on a ridge east of Valleceto Res in Co which had a nearly healed but still slightly weeping bullet hole in about 10 inches high on its side and just behind the shoulder. Inside the scab and gristle and buried in a rib was a flattened 58 cal hp and hollow base lead ML bullet. Almost a perfect heart shot.
When cutting him up i found an old style long 2 blade broadhead buried in his spine just above the front end of the tenderloin. It had healed over.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/27/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Random trunk base on a gravel bar that for whatever reason had spontaneously combusted. It was smoldering and burning on the inside. There wasn't an active fire within a hundred miles of this spot.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lightning strike, perhaps?

I am not exactly an expert on what the aftermath of a lightening strike looks like....but I guess it is possible. I saw no obvious blown off branches or roots though. The only burn marks I could see looked like those from a regular fire on trunks, with no other damage.

Funny that all the trees in the south in low country I've seen hit by lightning just have a burn mark without bark down the tree.

Some of the evergreens I've seen hit on mountain ridges in NM and Co have generally appeared to have been blown up with dynomite and often have big 3-5 foot long and 8 inch thick pieces maybe blown 5- 10 or more yards away. Those flying pieces alone could kill a man near the tree it seems.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/27/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I think some wrangler didn't like his beans and tossed his dinner plate in the bushes a hundred or so years ago. Camera case for scale:

An early Frisbee 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I think some wrangler didn't like his beans and tossed his dinner plate in the bushes a hundred or so years ago. Camera case for scale:

An early Frisbee 😊

Play hell on a dogs teeth, that's for sure.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not hunting but I used to do a little gold dredging in my early 20s. We had struck a deal with a guy that owned a claim along a secondary creek in the Cariboo river drainage. Big history here this is where Billy Barker had passed through and over a summit and down in to what became Barkerville where many including him struck it rich in the mid 1800s.

Anyways the old guy that owned this claim and lived on it most of the year had always wondered about a steep canyon with a series of small water falls within his claim. It was mainly bed rock both sides, extremely rugged and he had no way of working right in the creek so decided to get us in there to scope it out for him on a shares deal. My partner , me and the claim owner spent a half a day walking the creek to decide if it was feasable. The canyon itself was really rugged ground and me being the young guy, I made it down to a couple of spots with pools along the creek where the older guys were good with watching me from a safer perch up top.

Basically I was looking for pools we could hopefully lower our little dredge and gear down with ropes and check for gold. At one spot I saw something strange in a tree. It was about 30 inch fir tree that split in to two stems about 3 feet off the ground. Something was sticking out of the tree about a foot below the split. It was metal! I went around to the other side of the tree and there's the other side of a miner's pick. The handle about completely rotted off but still visible and most of the steel imbedded in the tree. Obviously someone had leaned it against the fork many years ago and the tree had completely grown around it. I thought about getting an axe and chopping it out for a keep sake but thought again and left it right as it was. Maybe its still there nearly 40 years later?

Last edited by Salty303; 11/27/21.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I have found old indian abodes in the heads of canyons in the Delores/ Dove Creek country obviously made by the Anasazi.

Found a hole in the ground near the tip of a ridge ending just short of the narrow Sacremento River south of Cloudcroft. It had a small 1x 2 foot by 8 foot long opening out one side to the side of the ridge from the 8 ft diameter room.

Had a couple of names scratched in the boulder walls with dates from the 1880s if i remember correctly.

I expect the 4 lane expressway they built down past the old Circle Cross Ranch and Timberon community has destroyed any easy access having cut the tips off the ridges jutting into the narrow Sac river valley. I used to pull up a good ways into the side canyons to hunt and camp.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Salty303
Not hunting but I used to do a little gold dredging in my early 20s.

Buddy and I have been looking for a lost town and mining operation and a couple weeks ago found wagon parts including two axles and some linkages.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/bVhN6Fg.mp4[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8qazWOp.mp4[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/S0qtlG9.mp4[/img]

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I found a 25-35 case along a river where it is shallow and the deer cross there. About a mile away I know where there is an old loggers camp with the wood stove still there . I dont know how to post pics anymore since photobucket wont open for me.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Found a civil war era bayonet in a stump while hunting around Nokesville, VA some years ago. Socket mostly rusted away, blade still identifiable. Found a minie ball with teeth marks in it near a small building foundation in the same area. Thinking someone may have had to bite the bullet during surgery. Gave both to the landowner.

Old70

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A Canon AE-1 well out of Leadville Colorado just showing beneath the snow while elk hunting first season maybe 20 years ago. I pulled the film and had it developed and every picture taken were fine, a Leadville parade. The balance of the photos that I snapped were a fail. I still have the camera...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Fireball2
A buddy and I were taking a break from coyote hunting, sitting on a hilltop, when a fighter jet came up from behind and blew our doors off. Man, I bet that guy laughed his ass off.

He probably never saw you…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Sat down on a rock near US Creek outside of Fairbanks to look for caribou.

I remember thinking “this is remote. I’ll bet I’m the first person to ever sit here.”

Then looked down and found two spent 30-06 cases in the dirt.

Still have one.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 55 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,659
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.