Campfire Tracker
J
He’s teasing us and I have the patience of my 6yr old

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He already mentioned how peaceful and quiet it was with no cell service where he's camping and hunting. I'm looking forward to the rest of story myself.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Except he’s been home since Sunday. He’s playing with us. Season ends 12/5 so time is running out.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry guys, I’m not screwing with you, just haven’t had much free time since I got home. Playing catch up from taking over a week off. And hunting when I do get a free hour or two. Sorry to report no buck on the camping trip. I’m heading back to the woods tomorrow for the day. I’ll get some more photos up as soon as I can.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jmdriver
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by miguel
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It was a beautiful, crisp morning when I headed out, 11/05/21. I got a later start than I wanted, but spent a little additional time with the wife making sure that everything was in order for the next week. This pic is along Route 56 near Seveys Corners. I belonged to a club that leased land here back in the 90's. Beautiful country.

You're making me homesick with that picture. I can not tell you how many times I've driven that stretch of road in the picture but it's certainly in the hundreds. My first deer hunting in the Adirondacks was not too far from there: the hill up above Ham's Inn (when Ham's Inn was still a going concern.)

I bought a lot of burgers and fries at ham’s inn as a teenager. Having a snowmobile at 14 was like having a seasonal drivers license.

I belonged to The Flying A hunting club for about 12 years. We were 3 1/2 miles north of Hams Inn. We had running water but no shower in camp. A burger and fries, plus $5 for a hot shower was a real treat after being in camp for a week or 10 days!

IC B2

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The camp was a lot of work to put together. The river was high, so no beach to speak of where I landed the boat and canoe, just steep bank. I had all of the gear, including firewood at the campsite by 1pm, and the main part of the tent up.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
By 4 pm I had the entire camp set up. All the comforts of home in the middle of wilderness, what a feeling!!! It was about 42F, and mostly overcast and still. This was before daylight savings time ended so off for a quick evening hunt,

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

IC B3

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
5 gallon pails, you cant have enough of them. They make great water proof transportation containers for paper goods or clothes. Once camp is set up, its surprising how much water one person uses a day.
Those little LED battery powered lanterns were great, I think in the week I was in camp, I changed out the batterys once. 4 AA per lantern. The ease of use for 2am piss runs was worth it alone.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The front porch served as a cook shack and food and firewood storage.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sooo cool

Camp is where you make it.
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
This is what I used for water purification. I got all of my water right out of the Raquette River. The water was still somewhat tea colored after going through the filters, but Ive been home over two weeks and still healthy.
This campsite also had a leanto, which was a nice added bonus. I didn't use it a lot but it was good to have.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Here's the winner of the big woods hunting rifle contest! Remington 7600 Carbine in .30-06. Topped with a Leuplod Vari-X III 1.5-5, you would be hard pressed to find a rifle better suited to this kind of hunting. I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with the Leupold 1.5-5, another 336 but a Texan with a 18" barrel in .30-30 and a 1-3 Weaver, and a 1895G .45-70 with the 1.5-5. Any of those would be well suited also. A model 7 FS 7mm-08 with the Brown Precision stock and a Leupold VX-R 2-7 is also a worthy contender. I bought this 7600 a couple of years ago. I had had a few in the past, and I never warmed up to them. Then I got the urge again and bought this one. I love it!! I think Remington had changed the stock design some, I know Hal Blood of Big Woods Bucks fame had worked with Remington to refine the 7600's and I think this is what they came up with.

Last edited by miguel; 11/27/21.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like a great time. How was the deer sign?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wow, that is a palatial tent camp for a wilderness set up! We did that out west with more guys and it worked better, but I tried it with a pup tent and it made a memory, though not a good one. Opening day get back to the tent around 5:00, fire up the stove, cook dinner, eat dinner, it's 5:30. Now what? Go to bed I guess. Oh, oh. Condensation dripping off the tent has the sleeping bag wet. Sleep in deer hunting cloths and rain gear. Portable sauna. Sweat, get cold, 2;00 a.m. Wide awake and all slept out. Thinking about home, electricity and central heating. Realize those deer never did anything bad to me, heck Sweetness isn't going to help me eat one anyway. What am I doing out here besides making a bad memory? Wilderness misery camping just isn't in my DNA I guess. Your set up looks WAY better.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I fell into an easy routine the first day. I would get up around 5am, have coffee, and a cold breakfast around the awesome wood stove. Then time for the daily sponge bath. A dish pan and a 5 gallon bucket both about half full of hot water, was Heaven on Earth. This also was in front of the wood stove, talk about luxury in the middle of nowhere! Usually around 6:20 it was out for the morning hunt. Around 11-1 I would head back to camp. Mid day meal was a lot bigger than I had planned on, but a full morning in the mountains works up an appetite. More than once I surrendered to the comfortable cot in the warm tent and had a nice midday nap. Then back out to hunt until dark. Most mornings I spent still hunting, and covering some ground. Afternoons I usually still hunted my way to a good stand and sat watch until the end of legal shooting light, which is half hour after sunset in New York now. Thats new this year, previously it had been sunrise to sunset. Depending on where in the woods you are, half hour past sunset can be plenty dark! After getting back to camp, it was time for the big evening meal. After dishes were done it was still quite early. I had a couple decent books with me, as well as my new shortwave radio. I think 8pm was the latest I ever stayed up. Usually once or twice during the night I had to make a piss run, and also stoke the wood stove. A couple nights the cold woke me up. The stove performed great, but it wouldn't heat the tent for 8 hours, 4-5 at the most. Then it was back up to do it all again. It was such a basic, and rewarding way to live. The days flew by.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 68 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.