Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
Our local sheriff would have just shot him. Doesn't have to be that way.

By Denise DillonPublished November 23, 2021 11:29PMUpdated November 24, 2021 9:08AMHaralson CountyFOX 5 Atlanta
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/sheriff-talks-man-into-putting-down-his-gun-comforts-him?

Sheriff calms gunman in mental distress
All the Haralson County sheriff could do was give the man hug after talking him into dropping his gun. The man was clearly in mental distress. The whole incident was caught on camera.

HARALSON COUNTY, Ga - It could have a tragic ending, instead, a Georgia sheriff talked a distraught man out of taking his own life by cop.

Haralson County Sheriff Stacy Williams said he knew he was walking into a delicate situation but he had to do something to help a distraught young man.

The call went out as a domestic call. Investigators said when they responded they found a man waving a gun. Deputies said the man told them he had nothing to live for and wanted them to shoot him.

"He was clearly going through a traumatic experience for him to want to harm himself or want us to harm him," said Sheriff Williams.

Sheriff Williams said he knew first and foremost they had to convince the man to put his gun down.

"If he would have pointed a gun at me it would have went real bad real quickly," said Sheriff Williams.

After a lot of talking, the man finally put the gun down. Sheriff Williams didn't know if the man had any other weapons on him, but the sheriff ran to him and knelt down by his side.

The sheriff is being heard comforting the man on body camera video.

"We don't want to shoot you, we're here to help you okay? We're here to help you son".

"The kid was experiencing a real bad problem, I felt so terrible for him. Just make you want to cry," said Sheriff Williams.

Sheriff Williams had never met the 21-year-old before but he could tell he was going through a lot. He said he's just glad he was there to help.

"We in law enforcement, we're human just like everybody else. We have kids, we live in the community. We have compassion just like anybody else does and when something like this happens, that's what you do," said Sheriff Williams.

Sheriff Williams said he has since checked on the young man. He said he's getting the help he needs and is doing better.

If you or a loved one is feeling distressed, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The crisis center provides free and confidential emotional support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to civilians and veterans. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Or text HOME to 741-741 (Crisis Text Line).

CLICK HERE for the warning signs and risk factors of suicide. Call 1-800-273-TALK for free and confidential emotional support.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My hat is off to this Sheriff.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good Sheriff...

But I really really think this is just the tip of an iceberg...

Unfortunately, most incidents will go very differently (LEO or Civilian).

MANY SOULS are broken beyond mending.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It’s funny how things have changed.
My great-grandfather, a widower, had a somewhat similar situation in 1974. He was 80.
Everyone, mostly the grandkids, called him Big Dad.
Well, old Big Dad was slipping mentally. His daughter thought that she had gotten all the guns but he had one hid out on them…..his Browning Challenger.
It was a small town, around 5000 people, and everybody pretty well knew everybody. Big Dad was noted for giving kids rides all over town in a little wagon pulled by his 8N tractor. He kept a new car. Never drove it.
One day my Grandfather gets a call at work saying there is an emergency, come quick.
It seems Big Dad had gone “High Noon” and was strutting up and down the street with his Challenger strapped on his hip hollering for some fictitious villian to meet him in the street.
The police just cordoned off the streets, snuck those who were home out their back doors and waited for Pap to get there and get Big Dad calmed down.
Pap got there, got Big Dad settled down and got the gun. The gun wasn’t confiscated or anything. After that it was downhill for the old boy. He passed in 77.
Dad got the Browning when Pap died and now I have it since Dad passed.
My Uncle told me that story and said imagine all the SWAT teams, helicopters and Command post that would show up now. I just shook my head at how things have changed.
Ol’ Big Dad lived a full life. He raised five kids and some nieces and nephews. He was one of Lehigh-Portland Cements longest serving employees. He hired in at the age of 14 working in the livery stables taking care of the mules and horses. They forced him to retire at age 70 in 1964. When he retired he was Maintenance Supervisor for the plant. I vaguely remember him but I always remember him when I handle the old Browning.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 11/28/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good man

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
It happens more often than you think..........it just doesn't make the news.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our calls for service involving EDP's, check on the well being, have increased 100% in the last 5 years. This is the result of many care providers that have pulled back or refused services and just put it on us (LE). At times we are the wrong tool for the job. Bad outcomes occur! But we answer the phone and never close. So it is easy for a lot of agencies and service providers to say "you go handle that" We do not work weekends or nights or just do not feel like it". Covid has magnified this problem! Last, the the social worker solution vs just call the cops, has never come to be and I doubt it will. any time soon.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That same LEO could have just as easily ended up shooting the dude on a different day.

That’s the reality of LE work.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by deflave

That same LEO could have just as easily ended up shooting the dude on a different day.

Change one variable for anyone involved and it could end differently..........damn human element.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by deflave

And may yet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NH K9

George

Spot on.

The media's narrative is to make cops look bad, this story doesn't help their cause.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a great story, until he shoots his family next week.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Originally Posted by 12344mag

George

Spot on.

The media's narrative is to make cops look bad, this story doesn't help their cause.

I agree. It happened few months back in my hometown. The Police could have shot the guy but ended up resolving the situation peacefully.
One of the officers involved, a friend of mine, received an award for his actions and how he handled the situation.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We had a sheriff like that, Roger Owens.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
That's a great story, until he shoots his family next week.

Gentler policing.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 11/28/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We had a very similar situation in our county a few months ago. Domestic, guy with gun, cops talking comely to him. Everything was apparently going well, right up until the time he shot a 30 year old deputy in the head.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

George

I really want to believe this.

And it's just a shift in the media's desires in how to portray LE.
They don't really have to even lie.

Show these incidents, or don't.

Show the ones that are bad or questionable, or don't.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great sheriff there!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
We had a very similar situation in our county a few months ago. Domestic, guy with gun, cops talking comely to him. Everything was apparently going well, right up until the time he shot a 30 year old deputy in the head.

Exactly what I thought about when I saw this quote from the Sheriff.

"If he would have pointed a gun at me it would have went real bad real quickly," said Sheriff Williams.

It sure would have "went real bad". The Sheriff would be dead.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 51 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.