Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainshot
There’s no telling what happened. That said, a lot of people are killed by dropping loaded guns out of deer stands. Getting a loaded gun out of a vehicle and about a hypothermia ways. Terrible tragedy.

Most "accidents" happen near vehicles, loading or unloading...

At least no one missed a chance at a spike buck...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by rainshot
There’s no telling what happened. That said, a lot of people are killed by dropping loaded guns out of deer stands. Getting a loaded gun out of a vehicle and about a hypothermia ways. Terrible tragedy.

I know someone that shot himself taking his rifle out of the back seat, butt hit the ground hard enough to make it go off, this was some kind of inline muzzleloader. Bullet went up through his beer gut and amazingly stopped in the ribcage missing his heart and lungs. And a couple weeks later his teenage son got bit by a rattlesnake.

Last edited by killerv; 11/29/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Article says dad thought the gun was empty and he went to "clear the hammer" and the gun fired. His daughter was in the passenger seat.

Sounds like he pulled the trigger while pointing the rifle at the truck. Maybe he tried to lower the hammer manually on a lever action and it slipped, or he just "dry fired" it.. but it was loaded.

Not accident. Negligent discharge. Horrible, and totally avoidable.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I grew up with my dad hunting with a 1954 Marlin 336. So this sounds very familiar to me..

You have to work the action to eject the shells. BUT this guy sounds like he failed to work it extra times, he just ejected the number of rounds he thought he still had in the gun.

Error #1) You ALWAYS work that lever a few extra times to make sure you got everything.
Error #2) You ALWAYS visually and manually inspect the chamber to be sure it's empty before closing the bolt (okay, my dad didn't manually check since nobody taught him that in the 50's - but we sure do it now).
Error #3) When decocking by pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer, you NEVER dry fire it or let that hammer slip.
Error #4) You NEVER point the gun anywhere except at an empty patch of ground while unloading or decocking.
Error #5) You NEVER point the gun in a direction where another person is, whether the gun is loaded or not.

Prevent any one of those errors, and nobody would have been hurt.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[quote=Hotrod_Lincoln]Remington 700 safety, maybe?

Doesn't matter if it was or wasn't, muzzle should have never been pointed in the girls direction.[/quote

This is the issue. Safety malfunction, miss calculating rounds in the gun, etc all can and do happen. They’re harmless if the gun is pointed where it should be pointed.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Article says dad thought the gun was empty and he went to "clear the hammer" and the gun fired. His daughter was in the passenger seat.

Sounds like he pulled the trigger while pointing the rifle at the truck. Maybe he tried to lower the hammer manually on a lever action and it slipped, or he just "dry fired" it.. but it was loaded.

Geez.. hard to live with that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They must have updated the article this afternoon.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
terrible news to hear, hopefully some day this sad story will safe a life. my son and i hunt deer with a Ruger #1 which is a single shot for this reason ,it just keeps hunting simpler for us in a box stand loading and unloading.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Like others have stated, most hunting accidents happen in the proximity of the hunting vehicle, when most people are working actions with loading/unloading. I couldn't live with myself if that was me and my daughter.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Horrible horrible horrible.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Sounds like a complete f'n moron to me.

Someone should take away that rifle and beat him to death with it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
man I can not even begin to know what he is going thru.
Sad all the way around

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A moment’s carelessness.

One can get to thinking one has been dealt heavy blows in life, and many have, but something like this leaves one speechless.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
What a tragedy.
I could not live with it. I would attend to all the burial details, and then I would shoot myself in the temple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unfathomable.
Not sure one could recover from such a tragedy.
Obviously avoidable, but everyone has made a stupid brainless mistake in their lives. I just hope stories like this stick in my mind and others who read it while handling any firearm. Maybe it helps keep safety in the front of our brains.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Negligence, period. There are -hcktards with guns. Still, just heartbreaking loss of a young life.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. That’s just absolutely gut wrenching and something I don’t want to think about. Sickening to thing about the loss of that life and how tormented the father will be for the rest of his life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Treat ALL GUNS as if they are LOADED!!!

NEVER point a gun, loaded or UNLOADED, at ANYTHING you don't intend to shoot!!!

It's so sad that this father didn't follow simple gun safety rules and proper clearing techniques!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some of you Jesus’s should step the fugk off your pulpits.

MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.