Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Just bought one today. Serial # put at 1944 # is 3599705. Came out of auction of WW II vet. Will pick it up Monday. Online auction talked to auction house gun guy that knows war stuff said it was a very good. Said it should go for 1000.00+. Alot of other black gun AR's , pistols. Got it and a Remington model 12 mint for 700.00. Never had one but trying to get a few. Also has a block of wood on top of stock looks to match all other wood on gun. Will be able to text pictures when I get it home.

Anything I would need to know about this type of gun would be helpful.

Thanks, To all

Last edited by LazyL0228; 11/28/21. Reason: add
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Can't be specifically helpful on such as 03A3 species, but sounds nice & just to congratulate on 'general principals!' smile
Best & Happy Holidays!
John.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Go to the CMP site...
http://forums.thecmp.org/

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I have heard that the A3’s were picked during test firing, if they rifle shot tight, they would set it aside and have them change the bolt handle to a curved handle so it could where a scope and become a sniper version.

If you want to hunt with it, Boyds makes a decent laminated stock for those but you have to cut in a bolt race, and there are after market scope mounts that will perform well.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
These left the armory with somewhat rough stocks. If you are lucky enough to have one feeling a little hairy to the touch do not NOT sand it smooth. You can always add more boiled linseed oil. That was the armory finish. That will keep the wood healthy and satisfy the need to do something. Leaving them alone takes a bit of practice and control. Call it an acquired skill.

Please do not be swapping stocks or mounting a scope. Times have changed and today these guns are appreciated as historic items and not messed with like that. You can shoot it all day long with the wonderful GI sights or dont shoot it. But think long and hard before you decide to bubba the gun. Even for temporary, there is no reason. These are wonderful rifles just as issued.

Spotshooter is thinking of the 1903A4 sniper rifle. And seriously, he wants to bubba one of those!! He must be really old, you got to respect that. I mean we all did this stuff back in the day. Not any more. Seriously NO, do not do that stuff.

If the desire to do something becomes unbearable you can find a bayonet and sling..

I recommend "03 Springfield Service Rifle".by Bruce Canfield. Well worth the price, Not an arm or a leg, very fair. And an excellent reference, pictures and text top notch.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
LazyL mentions a block of wood on top of the 03A3. I would need to see a picture to comment on that. I am drawing a total blank at the moment. Or he is combining the Model 12 talk with 03 talk. That would be on me. I still do not know what he means there? Congrats on some good prices. Be a good caretaker.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A word on pricing. An all correct and un messed with (not even official armory repaired) 03a3 is $1000. BUT! That is perfect collector gun. An 03a3 that simply looks right in a photo can be more like 600-700. Anything. You got to see it or good detail photos. I have taken two a3's of these out of sporter stocks and dropped them back into GI stocks and scrounged up the needed bits of hardware. Those are $600 shooters. Someone with Canfields book can spot these looking up close. Another restorer could be very careful to get every part put back right and get the full dinaro. I did mine as shooters and not trying to fool anyone. Just saying, on the internet, there is a tendency to quote the top price, when a careful evaluation is always needed.

I dont assume perfection and begin subtracting. I assume the worse and then add for right barrel, right stock, right bolt, bolt parts all parts with proper finish and wear, correct little metal pieces. Stock marking correct. I dont want to pass myslef off as expert. I got a book is all. Well three actually,

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The likelihood of a 1944 03A3 having been issued to a US combat unit is slim to none. If it saw hostilities at all it would've been in the hands of a poor ally or rear echelon commandos, but given it's really nice condition probably not that either. Their chief claim to fame was their ridiculous low price in the postwar surplus market, and their chief purpose in life was as the basis for cheap sporterizations. They put a lot of venison on the table in the 50's-60's.

The 03A4's weren't singled out for sterling accuracy. They were a stopgap measure because the Army hadn't thought ahead for a sniper rifle. Their chief claim to fame was it's ease of sporterization. A buddy of my Dad's got one by dumb luck from the DCM for $20 and was cockahoop because it was already set up for scope use.

Someone truthfully said more A4's exist today than there were in 1945.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
On an A4 the receiver markings are rolled off of the top. They were not selected, just manufactured

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The OP never mentioned A4 or a bent for scope bolt handle. That all started with comments made by Spotshooter which has somewhat derailed the conversation. I think the OP maybe asking for good bullet weights or care and cleaning or details to look for to evaluate his gun. Such as Smith Corona parts on a Remington.

And yes indeed, the 03A3 was very under appreciated until recently. But today is different.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Will not change a thing on it looks been issue. I will get it today hopefully auction house know the seller and get the story behind it. There is a cheek rest on stock matches rest of wood all wood matches. Will have pictures later today and can send to text or e-mail. Like I said before serial put it at 1942. Still hunting with iron sights, just has to get a little closer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks nice but the "block of wood" is not original to the rifle. Hard to tell if the stock was altered for it but you won't know till you take it off....might be just a screw hole you can fill. Looks like the correct stock for it but can't see arsenal inspection stamps to indicate issue or replacement

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks, tmitch for posting and info. Will be taking block off. Who knows why it is on there. I know I'm ready to go get it but wife and grandson have home school but a field trip coming soon.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
OK Finally got home opened where cleaning kit should be found paper work. NRA of America. 6-11-62 The guy paid 14.50 for it.
RAI on left of stock, RA flaming bomb 8-44 top of barrel, R on bolt, R on bent bolt handle. The stringing stuff on was cob webs.

letterkenny ord. depot
chambersburg, penna. form DD1149-4

Last edited by LazyL0228; 11/29/21.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I still have my DD 214 ARMY

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like you got a winner. It is always a treat to get a new 03 Springfield in any flavor. I have owned four over the years, all 1903s and all Springfield manufactured. I am down to two right now. Someday I hope to get an 03A3.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

A lot of the 03-A4’s are actually marked as A3’s….

So does this one have a curved or straight bolt handle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To the best of my knowledge they were all stamped 03-A3. Some did have the 3 struck out and a 4 stuck next to the 3. All genuine A4’s info was offset so it could be seen when the scope base was installed.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Curved bolt handle. With R on bottom

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Your A3 is not in any way related to an A4. There has been a fair amount of erroneous speculation and falsehoods posted. I feel sorry for the OP who has to sort this out. I suggested a book, No go. I will now suggest the GunBoards forum and CMP forum.

All 03 bolt handles are curved down. The question is has this bolt been modified for a scope? If yes, then a new "R" bolt body can be found for short money. Very easy. Why guess?

The "block" on the butt stock is a cheek piece for use with a scope. Agreed that has to go! The OP needs to remove the handguard and see if the current barrel is drilled and tapped for scope blocks.

If I am reading all the above talk and pics right, 3,599,xxx is around April 1943 (did I see a 1944 post?)

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/1903-and-1903a3-production-and-serial-no-table/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 45 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,334
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.