Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello everyone,
I have recently bought an old NIB Ruger No.1 Tropical in .375 H&H Magnum and am now trying to figure out how to best adapt it to my needs.
For a scope I'm pretty much set on some sort of 1,5-6x42 in Alaska Arms QD rings, my only problem is solving the question of a replacement iron sight, since I am not a fan of the adjustable type that comes standard on the gun. Now I'm contemplating what replacement sight I can put into the dovetail that will not come in conflict with the scope but give me a better sight picture. Ideally I'd want a shallow V express sight with a leaf but don't know how it'd work with the scope.
I am considering either of these:

- The NECG "Mini" Express sight
[Linked Image]
- The NECG Folding rear sight
[Linked Image]

Does anyone here have experience with these sights and does anyone know the size of the dovetail on the No.1 (and whether or not it can be widened)?

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I can't answer your question on the NECG sight compatibility with the Ruger dovetail, but my experience with scope mounting on No. 1's leads me to think that the 42mm objective is going to be a problem with any rear sight by the time you position the scope back far enough to get adequate eye relief. I've gone to low power variables with straight tubes on all my No. 1's and use an offset rear ring because of this. This is my 375 H&H and it looks like the NECG may work with this type of a scope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you, I heard that eye relief can present a problem with the No. 1. I'll best wait until it's here and then try some 42mm scopes I've got around and see from there.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boomer454
Hello everyone,
I have recently bought an old NIB Ruger No.1 Tropical in .375 H&H Magnum and am now trying to figure out how to best adapt it to my needs.
For a scope I'm pretty much set on some sort of 1,5-6x42 in Alaska Arms QD rings, my only problem is solving the question of a replacement iron sight, since I am not a fan of the adjustable type that comes standard on the gun. Now I'm contemplating what replacement sight I can put into the dovetail that will not come in conflict with the scope but give me a better sight picture. Ideally I'd want a shallow V express sight with a leaf but don't know how it'd work with the scope.
I am considering either of these:

- The NECG "Mini" Express sight
[Linked Image]
- The NECG Folding rear sight
[Linked Image]

Does anyone here have experience with these sights and does anyone know the size of the dovetail on the No.1 (and whether or not it can be widened)?

Here is the detail of the NECG express sights, Greydog put on my Ruger that he built for me. The quarter rib is not a Ruger , mind you, but the Ruger rib could easily be milled too accept the sight.
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 4,372 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,674
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.