-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They are good for quick second shots, hit the smaller pig on the run Monday evening. She was the only one to run across an open area , rest hit the brush.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 11/24/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I prefer the earlier 99's, but there's quite a selection with tang safeties.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

I don't care for the box magazine 99's

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Black heart condemns them for being ugly and ‘non-traditional’. All other positive attributes of them aside, I find them svelte and unique. Almost a ‘hybrid’ rifle in a genre of its own - Pedigree of a fine bolt rifle with the soul of a lever.

Three of the best, most prolific, and most influential deer hunters that I know personally have 99’s. My uncle in Jersey, my older brother’s best friend in W Virginia, and a friend of mine in Maine. All three have one in their fancy hardwood furniture ‘living room safes’/ display cases. That tells me that not only do they reach for them over many other rifles frequently to hunt with, but that they are also there to be admired.

I bought one from ‘66 in .308 to find out what they were all about. It’s one of the only guns that gives me an innate emotional response when I take it out of the case. Kinda like ‘the chills’. Reverence. Nostalgia. Something like that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
another thought about these great old Savage 99 rifles ? we all have heard the saying they don`t make land anymore and the same goes for 99 `s !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Volcanoes are still making land, but no more Savages.

LOL
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Volcanoes are still making land, but no more Savages.

good answer ! but that kind of land is ugly but a Savage 99 is still a fine looking rifle for us peon blue collar workers !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Because they feel right in your hands!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no convincing a non believer.

You either like them or you don't.

I like them.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://i.imgur.com/3E4o2px.jpg

Savage 99 303 Savage DOM 1905

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if this Savage 99 forum post keeps going someone may have to write a book with some pictures of these fine looking Savage 99`s maybe include Charles Newton too ? i know i sure like the 99`s and would like to read some more stories about 99`s history ? that`s a hint Mule Deer with a eye wink and a smile !

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Everything about a 99 is as good as it gets....!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 300 Savage and I foolishly had it up for sale. A guy offered full price for it, them he said he didn’t like the model “F”.
I have no idea why he didn’t like that model.
I made 300 Savage brass out of 308 Win brass. I loaded up a hundred or so and practiced with it. The more I shot it, the more I liked it. I took it out white tail hunting and filled my tags with it. It shot factory Remington ammo, 130 TTSX hand loads very accurately. It also shot 150 grain Interlocks almost as well - that’s what did the deer in - one shot apiece.
The rifle has a fully enclosed receiver so no hot gasses in the face if a cartridge ruptured, it has a cartridge counter, it allows pointed bullets and I believe that the 300 is a very fine deer cartridge.
A friend has 99-300 and that is his only center fire. He feels that it us the best rifle ever made.
I have Marlins and Winchester (had a BLR) lever rifles too with various chamberings. I like them! But it is the Savage I will pick when using a lever rifle for white tail.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/09/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53
if this Savage 99 forum post keeps going someone may have to write a book with some pictures of these fine looking Savage 99`s maybe include Charles Newton too ? i know i sure like the 99`s and would like to read some more stories about 99`s history ? that`s a hint Mule Deer with a eye wink and a smile !

Couple of recent books on the 99 have been written. I think two more will be coming out in the next 2 years.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Couple of recent books on the 99 have been written. I think two more will be coming out in the next 2 years.

that reminds me Rory, i need to order your book!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by deerstalker

that reminds me Rory, i need to order your book!

I can send you mine for free, it sucks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Hmm... Which model is detailed on page 87 in my book?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Hmm... Which model is detailed on page 87 in my book?

Will some of you Trump supporters please let Trump know that being President doesn't make him King Trump? First, that he can't MAKE laws, he would only be in charge of the organizations that enforce laws. Second, that murder trials are almost always state prosecutions. Third, that he can't dictate to the states what their laws are.

Going to issue an executive order that will force all states to enact the death penalty for anybody killing a cop.

Sigh.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Will some of you Trump supporters please let Trump know that being President doesn't make him King Trump? First, that he can't MAKE laws, he would only be in charge of the organizations that enforce laws. Second, that murder trials are almost always state prosecutions. Third, that he can't dictate to the states what their laws are.

Going to issue an executive order that will force all states to enact the death penalty for anybody killing a cop.

Sigh.

Originally Posted by Huntz
It can be very easily be made Federal law.

Not sure of that... but it DEFINITELY can't be done via executive fiat.

Who does Trump think he is, Obama? frown

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by isaac
Ummm, let's see...how about all police killings will be prosecuted as a Federal crime with the included penalty of death,upon convicton.

And he can do that with an executive order, and not with Congress?

Surprised Obama hasn't done a lot more if the President holds those kind of kingly powers.
===========

You're still not getting it, are you? WhoTF cares if another entity attempts to prevent him from implementation of his wishes? He said what he intended to do. If he does so, and another entity then tries to prevent it, it isn't on Trump. Get it? Or, are you thinking the Feds can't prosecute cop killers from other states the near same way as they do cops who have killed? Do you really believe the states and both Houses would put up a rousing argument to prevent such an law from being enacted?

It ain't rocket science.
No.. you don't get it.

I don't want another freaking narcissist who is going to learn on the job that he isn't the frigging emperor. That it's going to be the job of our elected officials to rein in the excesses of a REPUBLICAN president.

And it scares the bejeezus out of me that there are so many who DO want it.

And.. yes. There is no law saying it's a federal crime to kill a cop and so they can't prosecute it. An executive order there is ridiculous and the DOJ will just ignore it, or any federal court would throw it out as lacking jurisdiction. You know this.
Congress could pass a law to make it a federal crime, but Trump isn't aware that's necessary.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I guess the only man in Calhoun's house is there when he's gone.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,862
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.