Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Montana X-Treme

Yep. The Copper Killer works quicker if you're in a hurry, but the standard does fine overnight. Both are oil-based so don't pit barrels.

Second place in my experience--a close second--is Wipe-Out.

This is based on experiments with a Gradient Lens bore-scope--at least in my part of Montana. But also believe other solvents work at least as well, or better, in more humid parts of the country.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I might have to try that Bore Tech stuff….
Montana Xtreme does well on copper but not as well on powder/carbon, so I first use Shooters Choice or good ‘ol Hoppes.
Patch Out works on both copper and powder, and seems to dissolve the copper as quickly as Xtreme.
Plus a whiff of Patch Out won’t knock a guy down…..

I just stocked up on Xtreme and Patch Out, now I gotta’ try another solvent……sheesh.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did an AR barrel 2 days ago that had never been properly cleaned. I hit the barrel with Hoppes solvent and then hit it with plenty of Wipe Out and left it over night. I ran some Hoppes back through it the next morning and patches until they come out dry. I have been really happy with the Wipe Out.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This like-new Savage 112 'J' single shot circa '75-'78 followed me home the other day. Beautiful shape and obviously shot very little.

I knew the barrel was pretty coppered up as the copper streaks at the muzzle were pretty obvious. But little did I know how fouled it was!

After four days, the copper is finally out. I threw everything I had in the chemical cupboard at it....Butch's, some vintage Shooters Choice Copper Remover, TM bore cleaner, Wipe Out, household ammonia, Kroil, a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone (which works really good, by the way ) and a couple more I won't mention in case my town's Hazardous Materials Response Unit should get wind of it.

In the end, it boiled down to simple elbow grease and brushing/patching...followed by aggressive use of JB... followed by more brushing and patching...followed by over night soaking with Hoppe's Black Powder Gel. Then repeat the process. As it progressed, you could see that it was layers of powder fouling over copper, then more powder and copper, etc. Once down to bare metal, I finished it up with a final round of JB on a new bronze brush working over the first 5-6" ahead of the chamber with 10-12 strokes for each full stroke down the barrel. After the final JB'ing and cleaning, the throat feels really smooth with a patch. I might take a peek with a bore scope. Or not. Don't know how many patches I used but the process killed 6 new phosphor bronze brushes. The dead brushes got recycled to JB victim duty.

Most guns from this era didn't have the barrels shot out as much as simply ineffectively cleaned. I've resurrected several others that were in the same shape.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
^^^ I had an older Savage 110 from a pawn shop that was layered like that. I cleaned on the dang thing on and off for a couple of months. All I can figure is someone bought it and never bothered to clean it, ever.

Not a gunsmith obviously but for me, a combination of Tetra foam, and KG-1 if necessary, takes care of powder fouling, followed by either Pro Shot Copper Remover or Wipe out for the copper.

I have some of the KG-12 or 21 or whatever their copper remover is, but haven't tried it yet. Reading the bottle, it says it doesn't turn patches green or blue, and the only way to tell you have removed the copper is with a bore scope. I don't have one and it honestly sounds like a PITA. I would hate to haul out a bore scope every time I cleaned a barrel.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by auk1124
^^^ I had an older Savage 110 from a pawn shop that was layered like that. I cleaned on the dang thing on and off for a couple of months. All I can figure is someone bought it and never bothered to clean it, ever.

Not a gunsmith obviously but for me, a combination of Tetra foam, and KG-1 if necessary, takes care of powder fouling, followed by either Pro Shot Copper Remover or Wipe out for the copper.

I have some of the KG-12 or 21 or whatever their copper remover is, but haven't tried it yet. Reading the bottle, it says it doesn't turn patches green or blue, and the only way to tell you have removed the copper is with a bore scope. I don't have one and it honestly sounds like a PITA. I would hate to haul out a bore scope every time I cleaned a barrel.

Instead of blue it leaves brown residue on the patch. Once that is gone you are done. Where on the instructions does it say to use a bore scope? I use a qtip inserted in the crown and under bright light. Sounds like a real PITA eh?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
This like-new Savage 112 'J' single shot circa '75-'78 followed me home the other day. Beautiful shape and obviously shot very little.

I knew the barrel was pretty coppered up as the copper streaks at the muzzle were pretty obvious. But little did I know how fouled it was!

After four days, the copper is finally out. I threw everything I had in the chemical cupboard at it....Butch's, some vintage Shooters Choice Copper Remover, TM bore cleaner, Wipe Out, household ammonia, Kroil, a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone (which works really good, by the way ) and a couple more I won't mention in case my town's Hazardous Materials Response Unit should get wind of it.

In the end, it boiled down to simple elbow grease and brushing/patching...followed by aggressive use of JB... followed by more brushing and patching...followed by over night soaking with Hoppe's Black Powder Gel. Then repeat the process. As it progressed, you could see that it was layers of powder fouling over copper, then more powder and copper, etc. Once down to bare metal, I finished it up with a final round of JB on a new bronze brush working over the first 5-6" ahead of the chamber with 10-12 strokes for each full stroke down the barrel. After the final JB'ing and cleaning, the throat feels really smooth with a patch. I might take a peek with a bore scope. Or not. Don't know how many patches I used but the process killed 6 new phosphor bronze brushes. The dead brushes got recycled to JB victim duty.

Most guns from this era didn't have the barrels shot out as much as simply ineffectively cleaned. I've resurrected several others that were in the same shape.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Al, that is a cool rifle! Never heard of them before. What chambering is it? How does it shoot? Are they well known for accuracy?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
G
I like Wipe-Out as well, you don't have to use a hazmat suit when you use it and I think it works just as good.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by auk1124

Instead of blue it leaves brown residue on the patch. Once that is gone you are done. Where on the instructions does it say to use a bore scope? I use a qtip inserted in the crown and under bright light. Sounds like a real PITA eh?

I dunno, maybe I dreamed it, but I coulda swore it said something on the back of my bottle about checking with a bore scope. I will have to dig my bottle out of the junk drawer and read the instructions again.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't see anything about a bore scope on my bottle.

Dream on... wink

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have some Barnes CR-10 that seems to do a pretty good job

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Craigster
Step 2 on the bottle: Check to see if copper fouling is still present by looking just below the crown. If copper wash is still present repeat step one. Dream on...

I didn't want to be the first one to say anything..... wink -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Perhaps I shouldn't drink margaritas and clean guns at the same time.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Bore Tech Eliminator for me

My favorite. I've used Butchs, Sweets, shooters choice and all the others but BTE is the only one I use now and it removes carbon.

Now I just use my Hoppes #9 as a cologne.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After cleaning, I put a patch damp with Hoppes #9 down the barrels. It's great for storage and works on anything that might still be there.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Bore Tech Eliminator for me

My favorite. I've used Butchs, Sweets, shooters choice and all the others but BTE is the only one I use now and it removes carbon.

Now I just use my Hoppes #9 as a cologne.

Yep, same here. If I have copper to remove I'll only use the BTE for both the copper and powder removal.

Hoppes #9 for smell, I mean only where I need powder removal.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Al, back in the day, shooting partner had the 112 J's in 243, 220 Swift, and 25/06. Barrels are rough, but shoot like a house a fire. Each barrel will of course start going south as copper starts to build up.

112 J's are a great foundation for spinning on another barrel.

Best whishes

Keith

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We go through gallons and gallons of CR10 at the Barnes Bullets Ballistic Lab. Works very very well.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I usually use the bore cleaner I have on hand....Shooters Choice, Butches or Hoppes Bench Rest #9.
For years I've been using Dewey rods and Sinclair O ring bore guides with a solvent port when I clean one I pour it too it...one of the neatest things I bought from Sinclair was the stock boot that slips over the butt stock and protects the stock from solvents.
Here's my basic cleaning tools....this bore guide is a new one for a Kimber .300 wsm by Possum Hollow

Keep in mind that any kind of gun cleaner with copper solvents in it should not be used on nickel plated guns. That includes Ezzox and a lot of others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
Al, back in the day, shooting partner had the 112 J's in 243, 220 Swift, and 25/06. Barrels are rough, but shoot like a house a fire. Each barrel will of course start going south as copper starts to build up. 112 J's are a great foundation for spinning on another barrel.

Best whishes Keith

Keith. I've had two 'J' series 22-250's, a Swift and now this one in 25-06. To me, the 'J' series are the best that Savage ever produced. The triggers are darn good....with a bit of side shimming and careful edge breaking on the sear surfaces, they can be reliable and safe to 1 lb. or a bit under.

Always good to hear from you...hope all is well. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,405
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.