Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Them steamed veggies cancel out that fried steak?😉

Point taken. They arent too tender.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
White Oakleys? Huh.....

Always heard the smokestack was good. Never ate at it or Mary's. Driven by about a million times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The smoke stack was a darn good place 20 years or so ago but it has gone down some over the years.

Mary's in Strawn will leave you wanting a room to sleep it off,it's that good.

They also have other good eats like calf fries and steaks.

^^ THIS ^^

...but I would say it's been in decline for at least 12 years. It used to be great - no longer.

You should have driven a bit farther East and stopped at the Railhead Smokehouse in Fort Worth. Excellent BBQ at I-20 and Montgommery, as is Angelo's on White Settlement, but Angelo's is not right off the hwy.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/30/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by EdM

Looking good.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
White Oakleys? Huh.....

Always heard the smokestack was good. Never ate at it or Mary's. Driven by about a million times.

Hey, i was on the road, man.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
White Oakleys? Huh.....

Hey, i was on the road, man.

I always swing by Chicken Express in Eastland if I'm a travel'in...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by johnw
I mourn for the passing of the "Good Earth Cafe" in Fruitland Iowa.

The general menu was great, and the chicken fried steak was the best I ever set fork to.

Soups...
Pies....
Meat Loaf to die for.....
That was a country fried steak, and yes the original owners did it right, less than ten miles from my house

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkaddict
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
RC, you tried the wrong place. The best Chicken Fried Steak in TX that everyone brags about and several here on the Fire, including myself, have recommended is at Mary’s Cafe in Strawn, TX
It’s about 30 miles NWvof the Smoke Stack. You take the Hwy 16 exit, right Past Ranger Hill, and go about 10 miles N.

The Smoke Stack sucks, IMO. Overrated, and Overpriced is what I thought of it.

Next time your headed that way, let me know. I’ll meet you there and buy you a real Chicken Fried Steak Dinner.

This is the Chicken Fried you seek. Be thoughtful on size. The small fills a hole dinner plate.

I figured beings as how it's in Texas it would fill the back of a pick up.

Man, 10gaugemag, these Texas boys got me hungry for some Strouds. If I wasn't heading out to Cottonwood Falls, I'd be gettin' some chicken fried with gravy and cinnamon rolls!

http://www.stroudsnorth.com/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
RC, you tried the wrong place. The best Chicken Fried Steak in TX that everyone brags about and several here on the Fire, including myself, have recommended is at Mary’s Cafe in Strawn, TX
It’s about 30 miles NWvof the Smoke Stack. You take the Hwy 16 exit, right Past Ranger Hill, and go about 10 miles N.

Next time your headed that way, let me know. I’ll meet you there and buy you a real Chicken Fried Steak Dinner.

This is the Chicken Fried you seek. Be thoughtful on size. The small fills a hole dinner plate.

Man, 10gaugemag, these Texas boys got me hungry for some Strouds. If I wasn't heading out to Cottonwood Falls, I'd be gettin' some chicken fried with gravy and cinnamon rolls!

Only ever had fried chicken there once. Thinking livers too. Wasn't too bad of a place.

I think it was the original, in a huge old house off of Bannister if I remember correctly.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The smoke stack was a darn good place 20 years or so ago but it has gone down some over the years.

Mary's in Strawn will leave you wanting a room to sleep it off,it's that good.

They also have other good eats like calf fries and steaks.

^^ THIS ^^

...but I would say it's been in decline for at least 12 years. It used to be great - no longer.

You should have driven a bit farther East and stopped at the Railhead Smokehouse in Fort Worth. Excellent BBQ at I-20 and Montgommery, as is Angelo's on White Settlement, but Angelo's is not right off the hwy.

My next stop for CFS is the Reata in Fort Worth:

https://www.reata.net/reata-fort-worth/menus/dinner/

"Reata's Chicken Fried Steak with Cracked Pepper Cream Gravy."

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Shady Lawn restaurant, exit #6 on I-65 just north of the Alabama state line. It's about 5 miles from our place, and it used to be a regular stop for us. Their chicken fried steak needed its own plate- - - -the sides came- - - -you guessed it- - - -on the side! My wife and her sister who made a yearly visit from Ohio would order a single entree' and split it. Sadly, the place changed owners and the quality and quantity of the food went downhill. Now it's just another greasy spoon truck stop restaurant, even if it does have a 12 foot tall statue of a chicken out front.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
As others have mentioned, Mary’s in Strawn for chicken fried steak. The chicken strips at the smoke stack are pretty good.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
OK Cafe has a good one if you ever have the misfortune of driving thru Buckhead in Atlanta.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by skeen

When we lived outside Andover my wife required Strouds fried chicken monthly. I had their Salisbury steak. Seem to recall killer cinnamon rolls as the wrap.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Jag, you got bad directions. CHL is correct on Mary’s.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Be it books, movies, eateries, attractions, or any of a myriad of things, I have left a life-time trail of disappointment from following recommendations. I have had the best luck with simple, quiet, "I like(d) this." comments and the worst luck with effusive, loud, "There's no way you won't like this!" declarations.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Be it books, movies, eateries, attractions, or any of a myriad of things, I have left a life-time trail of disappointment from following recommendations. I have had the best luck with simple, quiet, "I like(d) this." comments and the worst luck with effusive, loud, "There's no way you won't like this!" declarations.

Nice we have choices, right?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by johnw
I mourn for the passing of the "Good Earth Cafe" in Fruitland Iowa.

The general menu was great, and the chicken fried steak was the best I ever set fork to.

Soups...
Pies....
Meat Loaf to die for.....
That was a country fried steak, and yes the original owners did it right, less than ten miles from my house

Did I mention the pies they made?

Been a few years now. I traveled the country some working powerhouses. Never found a better place to eat.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the homestyle chicky fry steak with ketchup.

Speaking of steak, I should start a stray cow report...

'Bought ready to start a gofundme.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/30/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Nice we have choices, right?

And that we are allowed to make them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 57 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.