158 gr Gold Dot

That

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EdM
I am generally a hard cast guy but I loaded 180 gr XTP's (my Ruger Maximum shoots them well) for my son's Henry. He swatted two hogs and a deer with it last year. I just bought two boxes of them last week.

This^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree 180 grain especially from a rifle

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Out of a .357 lever, for hogs and deer?

I’m not up to speed on these.

None.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thought I might have the XTP or FTX, I finally found them and they’re 140gr XTP. Guess I could work a trade for something.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Out of a .357 lever, for hogs and deer?

I’m not up to speed on these.

None.

?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I have known a couple of guys who shot nice bucks with the cal in a pistol. No telling if they succumbed from the bullet or old age.

If it wouldnt take out Big Cat Williams i want something with more energy.

On the evening of November 29, 1964, during the height of the civil unrest of the American Civil Rights Movement, a car driven by Williams was stopped near Houston, Texas, by highway Patrolman Dale Witten, who stated afterwards Williams was speeding. According to the police report Williams resisted arrest, and the officer's .357 magnum revolver went off during an ensuing struggle, hitting Williams in the stomach and lodging in his right hip. Williams had to undergo four operations in the next seven months for colon damage and an injured right kidney. The right kidney had to be removed in June 1965. Doctors could not extract the bullet, which had broken his right hip joint and caused partial paralysis of some of the hip's muscles, he also lost over 10 feet (3.0 m) of his small intestine, and sustained nerve damage which affected his left leg above the knee and caused it to atrophy as a result.[2] Hugh Benbow, his manager, and Sonny Liston, former world champion, visited Cleveland Williams in the hospital. After his partial recovery Williams was fined $50 and briefly jailed after pleading no contest to charges arising from the incident. (Patrolman Witten visited Williams to wish him luck the day before his 1966 fight with Muhammad Ali, with both men saying they had "no hard feelings" toward the other).[3]

Recovery and return to boxing Edit
The injury, surgeries and subsequent convalescence caused Williams to lose over 60 pounds, and over 17 months of his career. He regained his weight and strength by tossing 80-pound bales of hay daily on a cattle ranch till he had regained his fighting weight and physique. On February 8, 1966, Williams received a standing ovation from the Houston crowd as he returned to the ring, and knocked out Ben Black in the first round.[4]

Williams competed for the heavyweight championship against Muhammad Ali on November 14, 1966, but was badly outclassed, and was knocked down twice in the third round ending the match. Williams retired from boxing after the 1966 Championship defeat, but later made a comeback. Although able to defeat journeymen fighters, he suffered several knockout losses before retiring permanently in 1972.

Later life Edit
The Ring in the 1980s reported he worked as a forklift truck driver in his later years.[citation needed]

Death Edit
On 3 September 1999 Williams was knocked down by a car in a hit and run accident while walking across a street in Houston, Texas; he died of his injuries at Ben Taub Hospital on 10 September 1999 at the age of 66.[5] Williams was buried in Paradise North Cemetery in Houston.[6]

Tributes Edit
He ended his career with a record of 80 wins (60 KOs), 13 losses and 1 draw. George Foreman interviewed in retirement described Williams as possessing one of the three hardest punches he had experienced professionally, also stating that he and Williams had been sparring partners in their early careers.[citation needed] George Chuvalo also said Williams was one of the hardest punchers he had faced in his own professional career. Williams, aged 38, lost by decision to veteran Chuvalo over 10 rounds at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas, in November 1971.[7]

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most of the animals I've taken were with the
Sierra #8340. Some were with the Speer 4217
and some with the XTP, all with 2400 and standard primers.
With the Maximum I used the 180 gr XTP.
That was a week ago. Blew a hole like a 300WM

The regular 357 was a Marlin and a Handi rifle ,
and last year the Handi became a Maxi

I don't use popgun charges for any of these.
I want them to plow through, and they don't
disappoint. The 357 and 44 mag rifles I have
do a great job on deer and swine

Good Luck

Last edited by Ranger99; 12/01/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have known a couple of guys who shot nice bucks with the cal in a pistol. No telling if they succumbed from the bullet or old age.

On the evening of November 29, 1964, during the height of the civil unrest of the American Civil Rights Movement, a car driven by Williams was stopped near Houston, Texas, by highway Patrolman Dale Witten, who stated afterwards Williams was speeding. According to the police report Williams resisted arrest, and the officer's .357 magnum revolver went off during an ensuing struggle, hitting Williams in the stomach and lodging in his right hip. Williams had to undergo four operations in the next seven months for colon damage and an injured right kidney. The right kidney had to be removed in June 1965. Doctors could not extract the bullet, which had broken his right hip joint and caused partial paralysis of some of the hip's muscles, he also lost over 10 feet (3.0 m) of his small intestine, and sustained nerve damage which affected his left leg above the knee and caused it to atrophy as a result.[2] Hugh Benbow, his manager, and Sonny Liston, former world champion, visited Cleveland Williams in the hospital. After his partial recovery Williams was fined $50 and briefly jailed after pleading no contest to charges arising from the incident. (Patrolman Witten visited Williams to wish him luck the day before his 1966 fight with Muhammad Ali, with both men saying they had "no hard feelings" toward the other).[3]

The injury, surgeries and subsequent convalescence caused Williams to lose over 60 pounds, and over 17 months of his career. He regained his weight and strength by tossing 80-pound bales of hay daily on a cattle ranch till he had regained his fighting weight and physique. On February 8, 1966, Williams received a standing ovation from the Houston crowd as he returned to the ring, and knocked out Ben Black in the first round.[4]

Williams competed for the heavyweight championship against Muhammad Ali on November 14, 1966, but was badly outclassed, and was knocked down twice in the third round ending the match. Williams retired from boxing after the 1966 Championship defeat, but later made a comeback. Although able to defeat journeymen fighters, he suffered several knockout losses before retiring permanently in 1972.

Later life Edit
The Ring in the 1980s reported he worked as a forklift truck driver in his later years.[citation needed]

Death Edit
On 3 September 1999 Williams was knocked down by a car in a hit and run accident while walking across a street in Houston, Texas; he died of his injuries at Ben Taub Hospital on 10 September 1999 at the age of 66.[5] Williams was buried in Paradise North Cemetery in Houston.[6]

Tributes Edit
He ended his career with a record of 80 wins (60 KOs), 13 losses and 1 draw. George Foreman interviewed in retirement described Williams as possessing one of the three hardest punches he had experienced professionally, also stating that he and Williams had been sparring partners in their early careers.[citation needed] George Chuvalo also said Williams was one of the hardest punchers he had faced in his own professional career. Williams, aged 38, lost by decision to veteran Chuvalo over 10 rounds at the Astrodome in Houston, Texas, in November 1971.[7]
He didn't ask about .357 revolver loads. The .357 is a different animal out of a carbine. I've killed deer with several different 158 gr. sp's and hp's out of a Marlin 1894C with no complaints.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
180 grain Hornady XTP.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Most of the animals I've taken were with the
Sierra #8340. Some were with the Speer 4217
and some with the XTP, all with 2400 and standard primers.
With the Maximum I used the 180 gr XTP.
That was a week ago. Blew a hole like a 300WM

The regular 357 was a Marlin and a Handi rifle ,
and last year the Handi became a Maxi

I don't use popgun charges for any of these.
I want them to plow through, and they don't
disappoint. The 357 and 44 mag rifles I have
do a great job on deer and swine

Good Luck

Good deal.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Later life Edit

Death Edit

Tributes Edit
He didn't ask about .357 revolver loads. The .357 is a different animal out of a carbine. I've killed deer with several different 158 gr. sp's and hp's out of a Marlin 1894C with no complaints.

He asked what bullet i preferred in that animal to get deer.

The answer stands. None. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Later life Edit

Death Edit

Tributes Edit

He asked what bullet i preferred in that animal to get deer.

The answer stands. None. wink
He asked about carbine loads yet all you talked about was revolvers. Not even remotely relevant.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Rong. I talked about Big Cat Williams too.

Im not saying the round cant be made effective.

I attempted to add a bit of levity and to some, who might find it interesting, a bit of little known or remembered info.

Get you tooth unhung.

Again, he asked what round I liked in it. The answer stands. None.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

He didnt ask WTF youve killed with it. He asked which bullet we liked. I said none.

Go jump Beavers ass. He told Jesse to use a [bleep].

Im thinking Beaver fughked up and told the wrong guy to use a [bleep].

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

He didnt ask WTF youve killed with it. He asked which bullet we liked. I said none.

Go jump Beavers ass. He told Jesse to use a [bleep].

Im thinking Beaver fughked up and told the wrong guy to use a [bleep].
Hard to know what bullet you may or may not like or what works/ what doesn't out of a platform you've never used.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
PS. I know Jesse can kill a deer humanly with any decent 357 cal bullet. Having hunted with him i know he can take care of business.

I still dont like any in that rig for deer. I too often end up finding and shooting a big buck running through brush or timber or sneaking through it or bedded in thick brush and eyeing me while thinking its safely hidden and unseen as i spend as much as 5 min trying to figure out were to aim trying to get a bullet through brush and bone into the vitals.

If hunting in areas where big bucks may be encountered i want a bullet that will take down a big buck with a Texas heart shot regardless whether i hit the base of the spine or cut a femoral artery.

I want a bullet that will punch through and leave a good blood trail or punch through 3 or more feet of bone and guts to reach the heart or lungs.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/01/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
PS. I know Jesse can kill a deer humanly with any decent 357 cal bullet. Having hunted with him i now he can take care of business.

I still dont like any in that rig for deer. I too often end up finding and shooting a big buck running through brush or timber or sneaking through it or bedded in thick brush and eyeing me while thinking its safely hidden and unseen as i spend as much as 5 min trying to figure out were to aim trying to get a bullet through brush and bone into the vitals.
Oh, so your situation is "special". LMAO. Wide open shots at broadside deer seldom happen here either.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
If i were as great a hunter as you i could do what you do too.

Youre the one who is "special".

Now, sweet dreams. grin

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/01/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 007FJ, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.