-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta love the "only hunt how I hunt!!!!" crowd.

🙄

But, as stated: "harvest it and grill it" just sounds wrong.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart

That's a damn nice offer GW. Very generous.Thanks ! But I'm afraid I have no desire to hunt in Texas. I have plenty of hunting here. Got 13,000 + acres of State forest just up the road and hundreds of thousands more within a half hours drive in any direction. Baiting is illegal here, the State land is all heavily forested and deer numbers are comparatively low but I do like to wander. Water isn't a problem, it's everywhere. In fact the ground, trees and everything else is covered with it in it's frozen white form. There is no cell service where I hunt here either. If you get lost or fall and break something you better be able to get a fire going or you're likely to freeze to death. I might die of thirst or heat stroke there.

I understand. It is what it is, and the offer was made in all sincerity. I appreciate your courteous response.

I was born in Texas, have lived here all my life. Been after birds and critters since I was six. I'll be 70 on the 21st of this month. I would have loved to have grown up in a western or nothern clime, but what the hey! Such was not the case.

With time and preparation I could go hunt pretty much all over the world should I want to,(subject to being a 70 yr old flatlander) but I'm content these days to hunt the way I do here.

Waidmannsheil!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/02/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I harvest things from the garden, I kill game to eat.
Seems simple enough

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Harvest" is about as irritating as people who go out of their way to say something like "I don't hunt anything unless I am going to eat it!"... As if providing life-sustaining food is the ONLY legitimate reason for freeing the spirit of one of Mother Earth's noble creatures.... And they themselves are more righteous than you because they ONLY hunt with this high standard as their goal.

Well, sometimes you don't need the meat. But you may need the fur. You may need the hide. You may need to just get rid of some critter that is causing problems. Now, I don't believe in being wasteful, or abusive to nature, but holy cow, people sure can take it too far. It's the same neo-hippy mindset as "harvest".

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I remember hog killing time, not pork harvesting

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

We used to say “ take” for the “sensitive types” when I was growing up.

In Missouri if you don’t say “Kilt” … you might get looked at sideways…. When I said “I took” a deer on that ridge over there I was called a Yankee !! LOL

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I harvested some skunks by accident with the combine but it sure stinks and nothing edible comes out the back. Everything else I kill. My daughter and grandkids kill also. Edk

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Whackem and stackem.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Blackheart
When there are so many "hunters" these days who raise deer like a crop of farm animals, I'm surprised there is an objection to using the word "harvest" once they've been fed, photographed, passed up and allowed to age enough to finally produce a good set of antlers. This seems particularly odd coming from a Texan.

Shows how much you know about me, and hunting Texas doesn't it?

It's all good JG.

Blackheart, I'll make you an offer. I made this offer years ago more than once, never had any takers. Mosey on down to Uvalde Texas, pretty much any time you want, as I'm retired. I'll meet you and we can go to my lease. I have a camper and there is a line shack you can stay in. Be sure to bring water as there is no potable water to be had other than what you bring in. Also bring anything else you require as we are 20 miles from the nearest town and six miles off the paved road.
If you want power, (it may be 90 degrees at 10 PM, May through September), you can use a spare generator we have.

Its a 60,000 + acre, low fenced/no fenced ranch, out of which we have a 1,700 acre pasture. No it is not high fenced, but we do bait. Chances are you are from and area that has plenty of public land which to hunt. You may spot and stalk in your home territory. Other than for turkey, varmints or sneaking up on a feeder at night with thermal, while hunting pigs, we don't. That is not local custom here.

What I will do is take a 55 gallon drum and paint it fluorescent orange and hide it somewhere on our 1,700 acre lease. If you can find it in 3 days, I'll give you $2,000, and pay your gas back. The only caveat is that you have to spot and stalk. No motorized vehicle.

A few views of the topography that you will be traipsing

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

175 yds. from an elevated blind

+/- 270 yds to the dot from the blind!

You will probably want to wear brush pants and long sleeves, even if it is 100degrees F,

as just about every plant you will brush up against either pricks, claws

sticks or stings!

Hint, bring a good pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Those little tiny clusters of Cactus hairs are hell to get out with fingernails or a pocket knife.

you will want to wear footwear that gives good ankle support.

I will provide you with a two-way radio to keep on your person while spotting and stalking. There is no cell service, and should you become dehydrated or break a hip or ankle, I'll need to come get you.

Anywho,

Come on down, it will be an experience. I know that the guys that I have entertained in the past that were from different western states told me that having hunted for several days, and enjoyed the hospitality, it changed their whole view of the way we hunt here, and each said they would like to come back.

Best,

GWB

Jesus Christ Geedub, how do you get about...on stilts?

That is dense country.

Last edited by JSTUART; 12/02/21.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tired of in sensibilities, we kill meat to eat, we kill people to remain safe

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blanket
Tired of in sensibilities, we kill meat to eat, we kill people to remain safe

Yup....Then doctors harvest some of the organs, if they’re a donor.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stophel
"Harvest" is about as irritating as people who go out of their way to say something like "I don't hunt anything unless I am going to eat it!"... As if providing life-sustaining food is the ONLY legitimate reason for freeing the spirit of one of Mother Earth's noble creatures.... And they themselves are more righteous than you because they ONLY hunt with this high standard as their goal.

Well, sometimes you don't need the meat. But you may need the fur. You may need the hide. You may need to just get rid of some critter that is causing problems. Now, I don't believe in being wasteful, or abusive to nature, but holy cow, people sure can take it too far. It's the same neo-hippy mindset as "harvest".

👆
This.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Harvest" must be political correct way of hunting.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hypocrits. You're all just a bunch of sissies bitchin' because people don't use your preferred verbs and pronouns. You're no different than the word-nannies you're groaning on about. You're so woke because you "kill" stuff and talk about it with the crudest terms and that makes you more authentic or macho or redneck or genuine than anyone who isn't exactly like you, or do you prefer that I say "exactly like (f)aerselves"?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Kill, harvest out of my garden

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Hypocrits. You're all just a bunch of sissies bitchin' because people don't use your preferred verbs and pronouns. You're no different than the word-nannies you're groaning on about. You're so woke because you "kill" stuff and talk about it with the crudest terms and that makes you more authentic or macho or redneck or genuine than anyone who isn't exactly like you, or do you prefer that I say "exactly like (f)aerselves"?

Really?

I was a Professional Trapper for fifteen years and under the relevant act I "harvested" kangaroos...I can assure you that when I hunt I kill what I hunt.

If there is an issue here it is yours.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Generally, I “whack”.

Whack and stack huh buddy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Kill. Harvest is PC metro sexual lingo. Nothing more than an attempt to appease the people who will never be ok with what we do (kill).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
IMHO, words mean things.

In my world one harvests crops.

Game is killed.

It peeves me to no end when I hear a "hunter" say he "harvest's game.

Your thoughts?

GWB

Yessir, same here.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by Stophel

👆
This.

Right!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 17 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,142
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.