-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did not see the normal amount of deer this year but the weather also wasn’t the best, very windy and lost 2 blinds due to the wind. They were shredded. One thing everybody has noticed is the proliferation of Bobcats. Time to thin them out but you need a tag to do it.

Wife and daughter got their bucks and I’m going to hit the doe season and holiday hunt to try and video a couple kills. Guess I should verify a load or 2 next week. No ML hunt this year for me.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I see one from my county-Lafayette. I started life in Grant County, though. My first deer came from west of Muscoda by the river. Not like the ones you seem to find but love that area.
I see 9 day gun season kill report for Lafayette County was 635 bucks, 842 does (1477). Were you part of that number?

Your campfire handle is LEADMINER, by any chance are you located near Lead Mine, WI?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Round oak, great looking place you have there.

My summary of 9 days hunting in Vernon county:
Saw deer most every sit.
Had good intentions of shooting a fat doe but alas she caught me with my rifle down and a cup of coffee in my hand. At 10 yards she stared me down and never gave me the chance to reach for the rifle.

One of the highlights was opening morning, sun almost above the horizon but not quite. A flock of 70 or so snow geese flew directly over me up very high, high enough for the sun to be able catch them and make them look pinkish orange, as they honked overhead.

As mentioned by 260madman, bobcat numbers are clearly on the uptick, another highlight was watching the first bobcat I have ever seen in the wild stalking and charging a woodpecker. I will be applying for a bobcat tag and hope to hunt them in a year or three.

Saw the same flock of 19 turkeys on 3 different occasions, and noted the same turkey limping on a bad right leg, was always at the rear of the flock as they filed by in the woods. Wonder if the coyotes or bobcats will get this young Tom by spring.

Also noted an increasing number of black squirrels in the woods, would think their coloring would be a disadvantage because they sure stand out.

Hope the November woods provided you all with enough salve to cover the challenges of the coming year.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260madman
I did not see the normal amount of deer this year but the weather also wasn’t the best, very windy and lost 2 blinds due to the wind. They were shredded. One thing everybody has noticed is the proliferation of Bobcats. Time to thin them out but you need a tag to do it.

Wife and daughter got their bucks and I’m going to hit the doe season and holiday hunt to try and video a couple kills. Guess I should verify a load or 2 next week. No ML hunt this year for me.

Bobcat population is on the upswing in my area, too. Trailcams show the evidence.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
cv540, as I told 260madman, bobcat population is increasing in my area, too. A couple of friends have bear hounds and they talk about getting permits, but I don't know how that would turnout. A few years ago while coon hunting with friends, the hounds would tree one, but they always bailed out before hunters got to the tree and the chase would continue if you don't recover the hounds. We never did shoot one out of a tree.

Last edited by roundoak; 12/02/21.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Your campfire handle is LEADMINER, by any chance are you located near Lead Mine, WI?
[/quote]
Suburbs of Leadmine. smile Shot a buck with my longbow but that was in Grant. Haven't seen a buck I want to shoot here at home and been giving the does a pass.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 260madman

I lost the same blind twice. lol It was tied down both times but the strings rubbed enough on the stakes the first time they broke. The second time, it pulled the stakes right out of the ground.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LEADMINER

Suburbs of Leadmine. smile Shot a buck with my longbow but that was in Grant. Haven't seen a buck I want to shoot here at home and been giving the does a pass. [/quote]

Lost a few games of Euchre in the Leadmine bar. Had a few drinks south of there at the General Store and Anton's. in New Diggings.

Last edited by roundoak; 12/02/21.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep-I'm on the road connecting the two establishments. Lot of biker/atv traffic between the two places in the summer. My place is on south side of Hwy 11 so, South Leadmine, I guess you could say. There were a few nice bucks shot in the neighborhood...just not by me! smile

Last edited by LEADMINER; 12/02/21.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by battue
Have yet to see a bar that had more Deer racks than Red's....and doubt if I ever will....
When the Bear hunters hit Red's the party is on!!!!

Red no longer owns it but yah, the amount of antlers in there is incredible. Its changed hands a few times. I hunt in price as well and visit here often on the ATV's.

IC B3

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
9 days? 9? Jeez, our general gun season in most of Virginia is November 13 through January 1, and if you hunt with a muzzleloader you can start on October 30. And in northern Virginia counties on private land gun season for anterless deer run through March 27.

Could be worse, ours is 7, and it's not even all at once. Friday-Sunday the week before Thanksgiving, and Thursday-Sunday the week after. Then there's a 3 day muzzleloader season in December... that's it.

I sat all 7 days and saw exactly 2 deer this season... both out of range, and 1 was across property lines.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (AKislander, 300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, Alan_C, 8 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,573
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.