-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was talking SAA lockwork, not commenting on the Alec.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The vast majority of the revolver shooting public are not familiar with the work and experimentation done on guns in the past.

A 100 (and more) years ago Slip Guns were made out of Colt Single actions. Elmer Keith used to write about shooting and using them along with his gunsmith friend Harold Croft who helped him with his famous #5 revolver. Both men were quite familiar with them.

When Harold Croft came out to visit with Keith he brought a Slip Hammer gun, in .45. The idea essentially was to disable the trigger and simply utilize the hammer, drawing it back and releasing it to fire the handgun. There was noted shooter by the name of John Newman that Keith mentioned could hit a can thrown in the air multiple times before it hit the ground (according to Keith).

So to answer your question, yes. Just go back in history.

A lot of this is written about in the book Sixguns by Keith.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The vast majority of the revolver shooting public are not familiar with the work and experimentation done on guns in the past.

A 100 (and more) years ago Slip Guns were made out of Colt Single actions. Elmer Keith used to write about shooting and using them along with his gunsmith friend Harold Croft who helped him with his famous #5 revolver. Both men were quite familiar with them.

When Harold Croft came out to visit with Keith he brought a Slip Hammer gun, in .45. The idea essentially was to disable the trigger and simply utilize the hammer, drawing it back and releasing it to fire the handgun. There was noted shooter by the name of John Newman that Keith mentioned could hit a can thrown in the air multiple times before it hit the ground (according to Keith).

So to answer your question, yes. Just go back in history.

A lot of this is written about in the book Sixguns by Keith.

Yep. I remember reading that. No telling how many times I’ve read “Sixguns” and “Hell I Was There”.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Watching the Alec Baldwin interview on TV last night got me wondering if a single action prop gun would fire by just releasing the hammer part way from full cock? I only own double action revolvers and I just tried it on my S&W M34 and the hammer does fall all the way forward without pulling the trigger.

On your model 34, there is a hammer block that will not allow the revolver to fire without the trigger being pulled, even when the hammer falls. I believe this is true of all modern numbered model S&Ws. Even those with the hammer mounted firing pin.

Likely wouldn't work on a j frame .22 because of bore diameter, but on any larger cal S&W revolver make sure the weapon is unloaded, cock it, and insert a pencil, eraser first into the bore all the way to the breechface and point the revolver up. If you pull the trigger with your finger, the firing pin will launch the pencil.
Repeat the exercise, but only tap the trigger with another pencil until the hammer falls, and the inserted pencil should not move. If it does move there is a malfunction in play.

I've only done this with .38/.357 revolvers. Don't think you'll get a pencil in the bore of a .22. And a .44 or .45 might be too large to center the eraser on the firing pin.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just demonstrated this with my model 629 and a bic pen. Pull the trigger and the pen hit the ceiling. Tap the trigger with a fork handle and the pen doesn't move

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,118
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.