Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm curious if BHA and the hunters had an agreement if the corner crossed BHA would help.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Actually they had no intention to trespass at all, they used a ladder to get over the corner and not touch the private land. Their intention was to take a bull elk and mule deer on public land.
The rancher's folks may face hunter harassment charges and resource damage charges from BLM and State Land office for driving off road and harassing the hunters.
I find it very interesting because of hate for one person you all are backing this large NR landowner who blocks access to public lands.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Springcove
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by Springcove
If they own the air above the private ground what happens when they use a helicopter to access public ground?

There used to be a rule that you could not hunt the same day you flew in, or there was a 24 wait from the time you fly in, until you can hunt. The land may not be allowed to be camped on overnight. I think the delay rule has been modified or changed.

I was just curious. I have seen multiple hunting shows do this and if they are willing to film it and show it it must be ok.

Flying in an aircraft operating at a reasonable altitude is a specific exception to trespassing in Wy (and probably every other state's) law. So you're fine from a trespass perspective - just fly in normally and land. You should now also be fine from a hunting regs perspective, but if you have any doubts call Game & Fish.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by wytex
Actually they had no intention to trespass at all, they used a ladder to get over the corner and not touch the private land.

The private property extends upwards arbitrarily far. The ladder as well as everyone who crossed was in private property.

The ignorance of the law here is not surprising, but is evidence of where education is at these days.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I wish the individuals involved well and hope they win. I think "intent" should be taken into account, they had no intention to trespass or hunt on private property (hence why G&F didn't cite)

Incorrect. They had no intention to hunt. They had every intention to trespass, knowing that they would unavoidably pass through clearly marked private property and doing so anyways.

There are two statutes at play here - plain trespassing and trespassing to hunt. The later is enforced by Game and Fish. The former, by normal law enforcement. This was a violation of the former but not the latter, so G&F stayed out of it.

Well I disagree with that assessment. If they intended to trespass they wouldn't have used a ladder. It sounds like they went to great lengths to not trespass.

I don't care for bha, and I'm disappointed but not surprised the corporate HQ remains silent on this case. It's sad really.

But I wish the defendants well and hope this case provides common sense precedence in corner crossing.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61
I'm curious if BHA and the hunters had an agreement if the corner crossed BHA would help.

No, actually, you're not curious...you're looking for confirmation bias.

Doesn't matter either way to you, its not going to change your mind.

But, the answer is no, there was no agreement and nobody on the phone initial phone calls new any of the 4 hunters. Nobody involved in WY has ever met any of them. This is the second year in a row these guys have hunted this area and crossed the corner last year as well (after informing both the Sheriff and the Game Warden of their plan both years).

What is happening is that this case is starting to gain momentum...we've been contacted by a stable full of attorneys from 2 states who are very much interested in the case, countless individuals, and have meetings set up with some high profile folks with lots of reach.

Win, lose, or draw this is the precise outcome that we all hoped for, taking this issue out of the shadows and getting some progress in starting the conversation to make meaningful change.

As witnessed by this thread, lots of critics but very few with the stones to bring the issue forward...been that way for as long as I've been involved in public land, public access, and hunting related issues.

Buckle up...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I wish the individuals involved well and hope they win. I think "intent" should be taken into account, they had no intention to trespass or hunt on private property (hence why G&F didn't cite)

Incorrect. They had no intention to hunt. They had every intention to trespass, knowing that they would unavoidably pass through clearly marked private property and doing so anyways.

There are two statutes at play here - plain trespassing and trespassing to hunt. The later is enforced by Game and Fish. The former, by normal law enforcement. This was a violation of the former but not the latter, so G&F stayed out of it.

Well I disagree with that assessment. If they intended to trespass they wouldn't have used a ladder. It sounds like they went to great lengths to not trespass.

But I wish the defendants well and hope this case provides common sense precedence in corner crossing.

Not often I agree with Jackson Handy, but he makes a good point here...

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If the hunters loose this case, I hope it gets appealed all the way to the Supreme Court. It would open millions of acres across the west to hunting, fishing access.

Last edited by Heym06; 12/06/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wytex
Actually they had no intention to trespass at all, they used a ladder to get over the corner and not touch the private land. Their intention was to take a bull elk and mule deer on public land.
The rancher's folks may face hunter harassment charges and resource damage charges from BLM and State Land office for driving off road and harassing the hunters.
I find it very interesting because of hate for one person you all are backing this large NR landowner who blocks access to public lands.

You are 100% wrong i do not back this rancher, if you read my previous posts you would have seen i said I dont know the answer but its not BHA.
I dont hate BHA or Buzz, I hate there 2 faced stances and who they support OBAMA, BULLOCK, TESTER, BIDEN, a convicted tree spiker do I need to go on.
They tout for the sportsmen but there views on the Wolf, G- Bear, trapping say otherwise and who they take money from.
Your 100% correct Buzz you won't change my mind about BHA untill everything I just said above changes.
If anything i said above is incorrect Buzzy prove me wrong.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/07/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry sir but you are wrong about the hunters and that is what I was referring to.
You're not supporting BHA by helping these hunters and any funds not used for attorneys will be donated to Access Yes in Wyoming which opens up private land for public access.
If you want to cut off your nose top spite your face then go right ahead.

I do not support BHA and am not a member but I do support this cause and it needs to be addressed in court to put it to rest. The money is not going to BHA.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You see it how you want, if BHA didn't have any skin in the game they wouldn't be doing it.
If you dont think BHA isn't gonna be patting themselves on there back saying see what we did and how great they are your a FOOL.
The hunters could have set up the Gofundme themselves sure as Hell didn't need BHA for that or find there own attorneys. Ive donated to gofundme's before.
Like I said in the beginning I would have no problem supporting those hunters but I'm not about to when BHA has there name attached to it, if your good getting into bed with BHA so be it.
This is nothing but P.R for BHA period.

Last edited by sherm_61; 12/07/21.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You see it how you want, if BHA didn't have any skin in the game they wouldn't be doing it.
If you dont think BHA isn't gonna be patting themselves on there back saying see what we did and how great they are your a FOOL.
The hunters could have set up the Gofundme themselves sure as Hell didn't need BHA for that or find there own attorneys. Ive donated to gofundme's before.
Like I said in the beginning I would have no problem supporting those hunters but I'm not about to when BHA has there name attached to it, if your good getting into bed with BHA so be it.
This is nothing but P.R for BHA period.

At least corporate bha hq finally spoke up about it.....

I don't disagree it's for p.r. but at least its a potentially huge case concerning the actual thing (public land access) they purport to fight for.

I don't like bha but it doesn't change the facts of the case

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not disputing the facts of the case have i sad anything thing different.. BHA is getting involved for one purpose and one purpose only to pat themselves on there backs and tell everybody how great and wonderful they are if they win this case BOOK IT!!

H
H
Why all the hostility towards BHA, they made a stand, put up their money and reputation. Something no other group did. We all have issues and never fully agree with all the decisions many of these wildlife groups make but they have done a fair job over the years of helping and contributing. What groups do you support and what has been their response to this case? This may not be the end of corner hopping but if the County either drops the charges or loses this case, then it will likely mean no prosecuting attorney in Wyoming will pick up another case like this. There are over a million acres just in Wyoming which corner hopping will open up or about 1/3 of all landlocked public lands. This case has massive upside and very little downside as most people never corner hop due to what we have been told since 1979 and the Leo Sheep case.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Highfastflyer
Why all the hostility towards BHA, they made a stand, put up their money and reputation. Something no other group did. We all have issues and never fully agree with all the decisions many of these wildlife groups make but they have done a fair job over the years of helping and contributing. What groups do you support and what has been their response to this case? This may not be the end of corner hopping but if the County either drops the charges or loses this case, then it will likely mean no prosecuting attorney in Wyoming will pick up another case like this. There are over a million acres just in Wyoming which corner hopping will open up or about 1/3 of all landlocked public lands. This case has massive upside and very little downside as most people never corner hop due to what we have been told since 1979 and the Leo Sheep case.

In this specific case?

An entity with as much money as bha is asking everyone else to support this cause instead of leading the way with their check book ( referring t the national office, not the state chapter )

Overall?

This thread isn't the place as it will just derail....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Highfastflyer

Like I said from the beginning, Google it see for yourself.
I pointed out the politicians they support and thats just a few liberal ones.

H
H
You will never agree with every organization or every politician. For the most part from what I have seen they push hard for public access, more so than any other organization I am aware of. Their demographics are young, active and well versed in online social media.

BHA members are politically diverse: 32 percent of respondents identify as Independent, 25 percent as Republican and 16 percent as Democrat (17 percent responded “none of the above” and 10 percent preferred not to answer).
BHA members are young: 34 percent of respondents are between the ages of 25-34; 32 percent are between 35-44. Thirty percent are 45 and older, and 3 percent are younger than 24.
BHA members are active online: 63 percent of respondents prefer to get information about BHA from BHA’s social media channels, BHA’s online newsletter and backcountryhunters.org.
BHA members include large numbers of military servicemembers and veterans: 12 percent of respondents are military veterans, higher than the U.S. average.
BHA members are passionate about public lands: 25 percent of respondents spend 100 percent of their time hunting, fishing and recreating on public lands and waters; 57 percent spend half or more of their time on our shared public estate.

You will never find the perfect group, just as you will never find the perfect politician. If you like what they pursue and like hunting public lands and their causes, it’s best to at a minimum help support this particular case. If you want to lose out on Millions of locked out public lands keep up your tirade. The majority of sportsmen are in agreement on this issue and don’t let small issues impede their judgment.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Majority of sportsman, your in a dream world
, there's 15,000,000 license holders and I think 1/4% of those are BHA members.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ask Buzzy why hasn't Wyoming BHA got non- resident hunting in wilderness without a guide, its public ground to isn't it?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ask Buzzy why hasn't Wyoming BHA got non- resident hunting in wilderness without a guide, its public ground to isn't it?

So sherm hates BHA-got it.

Question for sherm, what have you done to better hunting for current and future hunters?

I get it not everyone likes BHA but right or wrong they are in the fight.

What have the haters done? Ever testify at the legislature, or F&G meeting? Talk to a bio? Volunteer on a fence clean up project or any other F7G project? Fly to DC to testify in front of Congress? The list goes on and on.

My guess is most haters just bitch on the fire and think that does someting.

Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.