Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting.

Proposed ‘Bentley’s Law’ would make drunk drivers pay child support if parent is killed
By KMOV
Published: Dec. 2, 2021 at 9:27 AM CST

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Mo. (KMOV) - Cecilia Williams is turning her anger into action. She’s pushing Missouri legislators to support a proposed new law that she’s named, ‘Bentley’s Law,’ after her 5-year old grandson.

“The main aspect of Bentley’s law is financial responsibility by the offender,” she said.

Williams began working on new the legislation that targets drunk drivers, after an accident in April on Highway 30 in Byrnes Mill that claimed the life of three loved ones. Her son, Cordell Williams, his fiancé Lacey Newton and their 4-month old son, Cordell Williams II, were killed when the car they were in was rear-ended and went off the road and crashed.

David Thurby, of Fenton, is charged with three counts of DWI death of another. His blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit, and according to court documents, he told a trooper he’d had “seven shots of Crown and water.”

Williams is now raising the couple’s two other children, 3-year old Mason and 5-year old Bentley, whom the legislation is named after. She wants to see a new law that would require drunk drivers who cause the death of a parent or parents to pay child support to a surviving spouse or the relatives raising the victim’s children, until the children turn 18-years old.

“They deserve to get that compensation because you’re talking about raising children that their parents are no longer here,” said Williams.

Missouri State Representative Mike Henderson, of Bonne Terre, plans to introduce ‘Bentley’s Law’ during the next legislative session.

“I do firmly believe that these people who are driving drunk and take away the parents of these children, there’s got to be some help for these children. It comes down to that,” he said.

Williams believes the monthly child support payments would make an offender think twice before drinking and driving again. She said a state lawmaker in Tennessee has agreed to introduce a ‘Bentley’s Law’ in that state when the legislative session begins next year. Williams hopes to take her fight against drunk driving nationwide.

From WAFF 48 News

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Dumb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of 'fire members will be upset by this one.....dui'ers....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Interesting.

Proposed ‘Bentley’s Law’ would make drunk drivers pay child support if parent is killed
By KMOV
Published: Dec. 2, 2021 at 9:27 AM CST

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Mo. (KMOV) - Cecilia Williams is turning her anger into action. She’s pushing Missouri legislators to support a proposed new law that she’s named, ‘Bentley’s Law,’ after her 5-year old grandson.

“The main aspect of Bentley’s law is financial responsibility by the offender,” she said.

Williams began working on new the legislation that targets drunk drivers, after an accident in April on Highway 30 in Byrnes Mill that claimed the life of three loved ones. Her son, Cordell Williams, his fiancé Lacey Newton and their 4-month old son, Cordell Williams II, were killed when the car they were in was rear-ended and went off the road and crashed.

David Thurby, of Fenton, is charged with three counts of DWI death of another. His blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit, and according to court documents, he told a trooper he’d had “seven shots of Crown and water.”

Williams is now raising the couple’s two other children, 3-year old Mason and 5-year old Bentley, whom the legislation is named after. She wants to see a new law that would require drunk drivers who cause the death of a parent or parents to pay child support to a surviving spouse or the relatives raising the victim’s children, until the children turn 18-years old.

“They deserve to get that compensation because you’re talking about raising children that their parents are no longer here,” said Williams.

Missouri State Representative Mike Henderson, of Bonne Terre, plans to introduce ‘Bentley’s Law’ during the next legislative session.

“I do firmly believe that these people who are driving drunk and take away the parents of these children, there’s got to be some help for these children. It comes down to that,” he said.

Williams believes the monthly child support payments would make an offender think twice before drinking and driving again. She said a state lawmaker in Tennessee has agreed to introduce a ‘Bentley’s Law’ in that state when the legislative session begins next year. Williams hopes to take her fight against drunk driving nationwide.

From WAFF 48 News

I will take it one step farther.
How about A Criminals Pay back Restitution to their victims or victims family's before they are released from Prison.

I would have to think that if this was implemented Crime rates would go down considerably.
But that is just me thinking out loud.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It’s not hard to get a civil judgement against someone who does you wrong. In fact, Bentley would already have a great case to sue for damages in a wrongful death suit. The problem is that deadbeats are about impossible to collect from, as they typically have few assets and often no steady job. All of this chatter really seems more symbolic than practical.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Civil judgement is simply a piece of paper if they don’t have a pot to piss in and work cash day labor rest of their lives.

I have court awarded judgements on 2 people, have never seen a dime.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Let drunks pay though their noses, FOREVER. Some drunks have serious assets and those assets should go to the victims and their families, while the murderers rot in prison. This is not theoretical for me; there is no such thing as excessive punishment for these perps. As a society, we have not been serious about this problems because too many identify with the criminals.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Feel good bullshit, that won't change a thing.

Granny just wants a handout.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
It’s not hard to get a civil judgement against someone who does you wrong. In fact, Bentley would already have a great case to sue for damages in a wrongful death suit. The problem is that deadbeats are about impossible to collect from, as they typically have few assets and often no steady job. All of this chatter really seems more symbolic than practical.

This.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How about if a drunk kills someone he/she gets killed right back?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

There's no money in that.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Feel good legislation but it will never pass. Too many drunk-driving politicians out there. How about that groid from the Tennessee legislature, Ford, who shot at a bunch of truckers out of the sunroof of his Mercedes after they tried to box him in- - - -all the way from Nashville to Memphis? Drunk as a skunk all the way!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Feel good bullshit, that won't change a thing.

Granny just wants a handout.

I haven't been a drinker since 1980, as a personal choice....

but I agree with Fubarski....

won't change a thing, and its just another feel good law, for liberals...

and like Alec Baldwin thinks, such laws like that shouldn't apply to people like, even tho they want it to apply to ALL other people who are not like him.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would be good with giving that a run for the next twenty years...as a test for viability.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fubarski

There's no money in that.

Not exactly accurate. If we put them to death, take their estate and give it to the victims, there is potentially some money there

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WMR

This, although a few would have assets or a job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Civil judgement is simply a piece of paper if they don’t have a pot to piss in and work cash day labor rest of their lives.

Yep.
We got ripped in a guys bankruptcy.
Saw a lawyer who assured my wife he could get us a judgment.
But, that we would never get a dime.
"My advice, cut you losses. Don't pay me to get you a worthless paper."

They drive around with no license, usually no insurance.
Getting caught is a joke to them.

Slumlord,
You are probably aware. But maybe some here run in different circles.
I know quite a few construction and other crews who have to carefully
maintain a licensed driver. He will be the one guy who is paid extra
to haul the other deadbeats around.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Let drunks pay though their noses, FOREVER. Some drunks have serious assets and those assets should go to the victims and their families, while the murderers rot in prison. This is not theoretical for me; there is no such thing as excessive punishment for these perps. As a society, we have not been serious about this problems because too many identify with the criminals.

I hope you feel the same about and would advocate the same for an accident where the driver was eating, putting on makeup, changing the radio station, driving with too little tread, driving with high beams on all the time, etc etc

MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's one I'd support. Drunks that kill get off too easy many times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord

Or, they move out of State, try to collect from Colorado if they have a pot to piss in.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.