H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Spent a few hrs in the wind.
Like to be bucked out by now.

Looks like I might have to go late season muzzleloader. Ugh.

Looking at First Lite bibs and jacket (solitude model).

Anybody running these?

I used to be tough but work a hot environment and can't take the cold anymore.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I found, in the used market, a set of like new Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket. All I can say is wow! Really nice stuff! And I paid a fraction of the retail pricing. I know I lucked out finding them, but don't overlook the used market.

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 11/23/21. Reason: Info correction

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just bought a new set of Browning Bibs and Jacket last year. Some type of "Super fleece" with a shell... It is so hot, I can't wear anythng but a tshirt and pants under it in 30 degree weather - and I don't have a lot of fat to insulate me...

If it get cooler, I can just add long johns and a light fleece.

I think all the major manufacturers are making great stuff now that is comparable to each other. Hell, I'm still wearing my old school Columbia Widgeon jacket and bibs from almost 40 years ago (more for nostalgia than performance) - I can't believe it was state of the art at the time.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am still using a set of Arctic Shield bibs and parka. They are very warm, anything 30°and over I wear a t-shirt and pants underneath, treestand sitting.

I have had this set since the fall of 2011 so I don't recall the model but I would buy the Arctic Shield again no problem.

Same as you I will be out there in late December w a muzzleloader looking for horns.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The thing about sitting in the cold for me is how windy it is. It makes a real big difference if you have clothes that block wind more than how thick the garment is. I've got a couple old pieces of Cabelas with the windshear liner and it makes a huge difference if there's any breeze.

Also, if you are sitting off the ground in a metal stand, you might try putting a foam pad under your boots on the platform. I've been experimenting with this and I've noticed a big difference in how fast my feet get cold vs no pad under my boots. Once my feet get cold the rest of me is not far behind. Just a thought.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear a KUIU stretch rain jacket as an outer layer to block the wind, the hood helps too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MidwayUSA has some pretty nice bibs and jackets on sale now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Think no further than Filson. Seems like they price their products for the average working class Joe. Got their new catalog and was suprised they had something I actually might buy myself , he who needs nothing.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I found, in the used market, a set of like new Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket. All I can say is wow! Really nice stuff! And I paid a fraction of the retail pricing. I know I lucked out finding them, but don't overlook the used market.

Dean can you explain just how good sitka gear is? I see it advertised often and for what it cost don't want to spend without knowing how it is. Our late season hunting temperature ranges 10-30 degrees. Do they bloke the wind as that's what drive the cold into me. What weight of gear would be needed that would cover say 10-40, thanks.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Watch camofire on a daily basis, some of the big name clothing on there with deep discounts, changes every 24 hours.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In my opinion, Sitka clothing is very good. The Fanatic set I picked up blocks the wind and is very warm and quiet. Temps in the 30's, to me, are too warm to use them if active. But by altering the layers underneath, these make it comfortable for a wide range of temps. Our late bow season goes into January and we can have some really cold temps in IL and WI, these truly allow me to stay on stand a lot longer with a lot less movement. If you're going to be active in really cold temps, these also have a lot of zippered vents in the right places so you have less chance of sweating up. I really like them but they are expensive, why I'm constantly cruising the used market. I feel they're worth the $$$$.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mwbyler
Watch camofire on a daily basis, some of the big name clothing on there with deep discounts, changes every 24 hours.

This is another good place to buy Sitka gear on close-out/clearance. Get on their email list, they change out and get new gear frequently.

https://mountain-archery.com/sitka-gear-spring-2021-new-closeouts.aspx

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen

This is another good place to buy Sitka gear on close-out/clearance. Get on their email list, they change out and get new gear frequently.

Done thanks but think it's going to end up costing me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen

Done thanks but think it's going to end up costing me.
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
In my opinion, Sitka clothing is very good. The Fanatic set I picked up blocks the wind and is very warm and quiet. Temps in the 30's, to me, are too warm to use them if active. But by altering the layers underneath, these make it comfortable for a wide range of temps. Our late bow season goes into January and we can have some really cold temps in IL and WI, these truly allow me to stay on stand a lot longer with a lot less movement. If you're going to be active in really cold temps, these also have a lot of zippered vents in the right places so you have less chance of sweating up. I really like them but they are expensive, why I'm constantly cruising the used market. I feel they're worth the $$$$.

Thanks Dean, I like to hear personal experience rather than an advertisement.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
First Lite did a sale on BF and scored bibs for 30% off.
Unfortunately they were sold out on the jacket in my size.

To make myself feel better I ordered a Behring Pro LT EDC knife

smile

Bibs to arrive Tues so hunting in em next weekend.

Been wearing some base layer got from Dunhams, T shirt over, thin fleece hoody ( full zip ) and a thin rain/ wind jacket over that ( my walmart camo bibs under ).

Thats been last 2 yrs and works OK to 25 ish of I dont do too much. Easy walk to stand or still hunt.

Not toasty but not cold. I dislike the base layer stuff that makes me feel cool all the time

Do have red plaid wool coat that is heavy yet warm.
Figured below 25 and try it.

Season has sucked.

Wonder how the new bibs will work with yote hunting and long walks/ loops to mult calling sites.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/05/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you get the Solitude bibs or the heavier Sanctuary set?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,196
Posts18,503,582
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.