Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
Study up on the fennel

For real, I’m not giving you some Happy Camper, Dr Mercola horse shît advice

Heading to the store now!

The biggest struggle is the diverging opinions between my wife and I. She’s a NICU nurse and doesn’t think anything her knuckle dragging husband has to say is worth listening to. But....I’m the only one my daughter listens to, so my methods must not be too wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mylicon drops in case its a stomach gas issue .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many sources to read on it. You can also get a commercial product called Gas Relief drops (simethicone) baby strength

But the fennel, and there are instructions all over about preparation. Used it here, recommended by many old women and Nanas.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dale06
Talk to your pediatrician.

My wife, the nurse, and the pediatrician seem to team up on me. They just make excuses for him. At least here, I’ve gotten some ideas on what to try instead of just holding him all of the time and trying not to stick something sharp in my eye.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Mylicon drops in case its a stomach gas issue .

Was typing it when you posted it up. 👏🏻

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From my wife: 12 hours without breastfeeding is too much at that age. It's not about the milk or loving arms, it's about the connection with momma.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too much holding is spoiling and him conditioning you both

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tried a different type swaddle? My son only tolerated the type that has arm pockets. It's a.zippered bag basically. Did not like being wrapped tight.

You'll shoot your eye out
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You got a cholicky baby

Investigate fennel seed all you can

It’s what we used on our son

https://internationalintegrative.com/colic-fennel-to-the-rescue/

If you are a parent who has marched the halls at 2:00 a.m. with a screaming tot, you probably would cheerfully give up your right arm for a good colic remedy.

Fortunately, you only have to give up a couple bucks at the health food store. Fennel is here to save the, er, night.

Just what is colic? That’s a bit of a slippery subject. Colic is defined as infant crying at least three hours daily, three days a week, for more than three weeks- the extreme of normal crying between 3 weeks and 3 months of age. In the Western world, it strikes 15-30% of newborns. Colic is physically benign but can be emotionally devastating.

The party line is that it’s from immature development, and not health issues, such as digestion. However, traditional remedies usually treat the baby’s intestinal gas. Dicyclomine, the only drug that works consistently, causes breathing difficulties, seizures, dizziness, and even death, in 5% of cases.

Fennel seed (Foeniculum vulgare) is probably the world’s most popular gas remedy. It contains essential oils that warm the stomach, increasing intestinal motility.

No need for you and your toddler to suffer, when herbal medicines can do such a great job of easing emergency colic.

In the first study to show that fennel is an effective colic treatment, researchers found that it is able to reduce the intensity of the symptoms. Parents gave their infants a fennel preparation when crying began. In the experiment, 121 colicky infants randomly received 5 to 20 ml of a 0.1% fennel seed oil emulsion, or placebo, up to four times daily, for one week. Symptom diaries were kept for the week, as well as the week before and the week after.

The infants taking the fennel formula had a significant 45% decrease in colic symptoms, in contrast to only a 5% symptom reduction from the placebo. According to the diagnostic criteria used, colic was eliminated in 65% of the fennel group.

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, from 2005, involved 93 healthy breastfed infants with colic. For 7 days, they received a dose of fennel mixture twice daily before breastfeeding. Crying time was reduced (by an average of 2 hours per day) in 85.4% of infants in the fennel group, compared to 48.9% for placebo. No adverse effects were noted in either study.

Europeans have been using herbal gripe water for colic for years. One of the oldest is based on the closely related dill seed. Chamomile, lemon balm, and ginger are common ingredients.

Use commercial gripe water, or brew a tea with 1 tablespoon seeds in a cup of water. Sweeten as desired. Use 1 ounce.

That was my thought as well. My oldest was like that. Dr had us switch him to a formula that was easier to digest, colic went away and he started sleeping 10 hours a night

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My wife has strong words against this mentality. It's a child not a pet to harden or break. She says people don't understand the higher level cognitive needs of a human child.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Tried a different type swaddle? My son only tolerated the type that has arm pockets. It's a.zippered bag basically. Did not like being wrapped tight.

We have a few of these. Some let the arms out too. Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A warm milk bottle with a shot of Brandy in it.Makes them sleep like a baby.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah, cognitive needs demand slaves.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fiddy

My wife has strong words against this mentality. It's a child not a pet to harden or break. She says people don't understand the higher level cognitive needs of a human child.

I’m not advocating treating it like a hollow vessel abandoned at a Russian orphanage

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Fiddy
From my wife: 12 hours without breastfeeding is too much at that age. It's not about the milk or loving arms, it's about the connection with momma.

Even at 7 mos? That seems excessive. But, my only other experience is my daughter and she became very independent very quickly.

I have a video that I took to show my parents. I lay him down on his play mat. He starts screaming. As soon as I reach down for him, he smiles and laughs. I back away and he starts screaming, bend toward him and he laughs.

This may sound cruel, but I really resent his neediness. I don’t have a problem being affectionate with my daughter, but she’s not needy for attention. I find myself not even wanting to be involved with my son unless I have to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yall got a good rocking chair?

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Yall got a good rocking chair?

Yeah, we do. My wife uses it when she feeds him. I’m thinking of buying one of those rocking recliner chairs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the obvious, a few extra attempts at burping too. Even after you get a good burp. Try for a second.

Like bleeding a brake line

gas is the devil

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For the baby i was thinking some warm beer cut with water.

Not enough to get him a buzz,maybe 3 water to 1 beer.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.