Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Very nice KW, congrats, You've already seen my custom Hawken laying across a bunch of dead deer. cool

I freeking commend you gents shooting deer and other big game with these rifles. I had to refrain from commenting on another thread where a guy said he's "more handy" at killing deer, with his AR, than he is with a bolt action. For fu cks sake it only takes 1 shot. How gd handy do you need to be? Ive seen guys in the field fire off 40 shots on a running elk herd and that chaps my hide to no extent. People need to go back to the basics and work on the proper fundamentals like making that 1 shot count!!! You guys get it.. By the way, some very nice rifles here. I grew up shooting a 50 cal hawkens. My buddy used a 54 cal TC that was a beautiful rifle. I damned near bought a 50 cal TC the other day. You guys wouldnt believe how many jackrabbits we slayed with our bp guns back in the day. Good memories

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice KW, congrats, You've already seen my custom Hawken laying across a bunch of dead deer. cool

You guys wouldnt believe how many jackrabbits we slayed with our bp guns back in the day. Good memories

I sure would! We did the same thing growing up! I watched my old bud make a helluva shot with an old .45 T/C Hawken on a running jack back in the day. Across a draw better than 175 yds, with a round ball. Unfortunately as teenagers back then (circa 1973) nobody ever told us such stunt shots weren’t possible with a ML! So we didn’t know any better.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I freeking commend you gents shooting deer and other big game with these rifles. I had to refrain from commenting on another thread where a guy said he's "more handy" at killing deer, with his AR, than he is with a bolt action. For fu cks sake it only takes 1 shot. How gd handy do you need to be? Ive seen guys in the field fire off 40 shots on a running elk herd and that chaps my hide to no extent. People need to go back to the basics and work on the proper fundamentals like making that 1 shot count!!! You guys get it.. By the way, some very nice rifles here. I grew up shooting a 50 cal hawkens. My buddy used a 54 cal TC that was a beautiful rifle. I damned near bought a 50 cal TC the other day. You guys wouldnt believe how many jackrabbits we slayed with our bp guns back in the day. Good memories

LOL, it was my pleasure Big Buddy, hunting and killing 4 good bucks from the ground, knowing you have one shot and one shot only refines the skills we've spent a lifetime learning, 5th and last buck was taken from the ground at 20 yards with a 150 year old original Sharps buffalo rifle in 45-110, it doesn't get any better, as said earlier, I may not be that mad at them this fall, but sure leaned hard on their asses last year! cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

You guys wouldnt believe how many jackrabbits we slayed with our bp guns back in the day. Good memories

I sure would! We did the same thing growing up! I watched my old bud make a helluva shot with an old .45 T/C Hawken on a running jack back in the day. Across a draw better than 175 yds, with a round ball. Unfortunately as teenagers back then (circa 1973) nobody ever told us such stunt shots weren’t possible with a ML! So we didn’t know any better.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^grin^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thats awesome man. I could see that. Sounds like the time i took one out with my 29-2. I was up on a dune looking down towards the river and spotted a jack running across a stretch of alkali. It took me 3 shots with that 44 mag. The first one hit about 12 feet behind him. I didnt think id have to lead the sob that much!! laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

LOL, it was my pleasure Big Buddy, hunting and killing 4 good bucks from the ground, knowing you have one shot and one shot only refines the skills we've spent a lifetime learning, 5th and last buck was taken from the ground at 20 yards with a 150 year old original Sharps buffalo rifle in 45-110, it doesn't get any better, as said earlier, I may not be that mad at them this fall, but sure leaned hard on their asses last year! cool

Thats cool gunner.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Thats cool gunner.

Thanks, so was smoke poling jacks I bet. smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
One more time to try to add a photo.

Attached Images
.54 Caliber Hawken.JPG (28.94 KB, 0 downloads)
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this thread is a bit old, but here’s my .54 J&S Hawken built by John Bergmann in 2010 with parts from Don Stith, who owns the original from which this was copied. It has a .54 cal, 1-56" twist, 36" X 1 1/8" - 1" tapered Rice barrel, RE Davis lock, 14 1/4" inch length of pull, and weighs 10 lbs, 13 oz. It’s very accurate with a .530 ball, 100 gr FFg, and a .015 pillow ticking patch with mink oil.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, she's a beaut.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
Wow, she's a beaut.

Agreed !!! 100%

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If I can figure out picture posting and get time I'll post mine don't know who built it but has a Large match barrel and Bob Roller trigger.,.50 cal.

Last edited by gunscrew; 11/22/21. Reason: more info
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
His isn't a very"Custom" Hawkin,and certainly isn't in the clas of ones shwnn . Some may get a chuckle out of it.

The stock shown is one I made for a TC Hawkin that the original had split back at the tang. Plus I need a recoil pad due to bad shoulder that I later had replaced with a plastic/metal one.It probably took me 200-250 hours to do it Hardest parts were drilling the hole for the ramrod and getting the slot in the right place in the forearm.

First hunt I took it on, I had it in scabbard on my mule, butt facing forward. First morning out, we had left camp in the dark and got to the hunting area before first light.I stepped off and went to tie the mule up to an aspen tree about 5-6 inches in diameter. For some unknown reason,she jumped forward, putting the aspen between her and the scabbard, cracking the stock just to the left of the tang.I had no spare rifle and that pretty much ended my hunting that ML season.I never put a scabbard on with butt forward after that.

That winter, when I finally got over being upset about it, I pulled it out of the safe, spread the crack open as far as I could, and injected Accuglas into it with a syringe. Then I drilled three 1/4 inch holes down thru the stock and drove 1/4 " walnut dowels into them with glue. It worked and I never had the gumption to make another stock for it .That was over thirty years ago before inlines came into being and I m am on the third barrel with it after wearing out the first two

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just a plain old custom shop Cabela's. but she shoots like a million! .54 came with a plastic stock. I put it into a invest arms wood stock.
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A lot of beautiful rifles, kudos to you guys! I have all the bits and pieces for a new to me build. Started with a 54 cal Green Mountain round ball barrel for a T/C. I don't like the T/C stocks, not enough drop, so went out to Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply and picked up one of their half stocks for T/C components. They're about an hour away and worth the drive. My hesitation is I'm not a very good woodworker and my abilities don't come close to my expectations! Lol! So this will be a slow process...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 11/26/21. Reason: add pictures

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot my junk azz TC today.
Hawken Silver Elite
90gr T7 w musket cap and TC Maxinhunter 275.

With bad shoulder it wasnt horrible, but it kinda jacked me up an hr or so later.

Sights on indoor range, on black target.....horrible ( esp since i wear bifocals ). Aimed at wall on sandbag and then pivot to target ( end lane ).

Put em where I thought they should be

Had removed rear sight a while back to measure holes and forgot to count clicks. Oops.
Was only a couple off.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Aint seen diddly

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by hookeye; 12/04/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You skin griz pilgrim?

[Linked Image]

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.