No way Patton gets on that PT boat.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Originally Posted by NVhntr
MacArthur was America's Montgomery

Oh boy you really summed it up there. If you say so. Tell that to the military scholars and historians, West Point staff, history books and all the officers inspired by him.

And his troops who called him Dugout Doug?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ego? Probably a draw.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Patton

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
MacArthur stood up to the commie and organized crime lackey in the whitehouse at the cost of his career and by doing so almost single handedly held at bay the bullshit we're now facing for decades. He deserves our eternal gratitude for that.

Truman? Surely not? Truman was an honest man.

The Senator from Pendergast laugh

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by WTM45
They were our friends and ally in the region. Japs were kicking the crap out of them. Atrocity and murder of innocents.
It was a Jap beat down that was necessary.
True, but beating Japan into submission was the over riding necessity. How many Filipinos were killed in the fighting to retake the Philippines vs. how many would have been killed if the place had been left as is until Japan surrendered? Would the money and effort been better directed against the Jap home islands? The question remains, what could those Japs in the Philippines have done to stave off the defeat of Japan?

McArthur had to go directly to Roosevelt and cajole him into agreeing to over ride Nimitz who wanted to bypass the Philippines. I believe a man like Patton would have understood that Japan was the target.

Speaking of killing Japs Curtis LeMay would have been executed as a war criminal if the Japs won. His bombing and fire bombing campaign killed more Japs than anyone. He knew what needed to be done.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WTM45
They were our friends and ally in the region. Japs were kicking the crap out of them. Atrocity and murder of innocents.
It was a Jap beat down that was necessary.
True, but beating Japan into submission was the over riding necessity. How many Filipinos were killed in the fighting to retake the Philippines vs. how many would have been killed if the place had been left as is until Japan surrendered? Would the money and effort been better directed against the Jap home islands? The question remains, what could those Japs in the Philippines have done to stave off the defeat of Japan?

McArthur had to go directly to Roosevelt and cajole him into agreeing to over ride Nimitz who wanted to bypass the Philippines. I believe a man like Patton would have understood that Japan was the target.

The Navy wanted to hit Formosa before Japan.
I think having Americans in Japanese captivity was enough of a reason to liberate PI.
At least it has been enough of a reason in the past.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MacArthur stood up to the commie and organized crime lackey in the whitehouse at the cost of his career and by doing so almost single handedly held at bay the bullshit we're now facing for decades. He deserves our eternal gratitude for that.

Pendergast was the city machine boss in Kansas City, Mo. Is there any indication that Truman was dishonest? I know Pendergast was, but does that make Truman dishonest? Trump had to deal with unions and Democrats in a previous life but he was an honest and good president. As an aside, when Pendergast died after being disgraced and imprisoned Truman did not do the political thing, he attended Pendergast's funeral when no other politician would. He was quoted saying "he was always my friend, and I have always been his". That took guts and firing that pompous ass general took guts, and was the right thing to do. I bet Trump wishes he would have done the same with his political general. Milley

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Pendergast was the city machine boss in Kansas City, Mo. Is there any indication that Truman was dishonest? I know Pendergast was, but does that make Truman dishonest? Trump had to deal with unions and Democrats in a previous life but he was an honest and good president. As an aside, when Pendergast died after being disgraced and imprisoned Truman did not do the political thing, he attended Pendergast's funeral when no other politician would. He was quoted saying "he was always my friend, and I have always been his". That took guts and firing that pompous ass general took guts, and was the right thing to do. I bet Trump wishes he would have done the same with his political general. Milley

Pendergast was a mob boss who controlled and collected tribute from all prohibition era liquor traffic in KC. He did a better job than most of maintaining a plausible public front though and only went down for tax evasion. But then again tax evasion was what got Capone too.

Truman was bought and paid for by Pendergast - he owed every political job he ever got to him, with the exception of the Presidency (which of course he owed to Roosevelt's death). Without Pendergast, Truman was nothing but a bankrupt haberdasher.

The idea that Truman was honest is laughable laugh

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Pendergast was a mob boss who controlled and collected tribute from all prohibition era liquor traffic in KC. He did a better job than most of maintaining a plausible public front though and only went down for tax evasion. But then again tax evasion was what got Capone too.

Truman was bought and paid for by Pendergast - he owed every political job he ever got to him, with the exception of the Presidency (which of course he owed to Roosevelt's death). Without Pendergast, Truman was nothing but a bankrupt haberdasher.

The idea that Truman was honest is laughable laugh
Maybe he was dishonest, but I don't believe it. I do admire his decision to give McArthur the boot.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They both had strong military leadership skills, but MacArthur was heavily involved in Washington politics. I much prefer Patton. He was the best US operational general of WWII.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apples and oranges. Both were great in their own way.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Maybe he was dishonest, but I don't believe it. I do admire his decision to give McArthur the boot.

He booted McArthur because McArthur was being too effective against the Chinese Communists, who Truman wanted to ensure retained a grip on the Korean peninsula. How was that admirable? Millions of people live in literal slavery to this day because of Truman's communist sympathies.

The US public certainly didn't think it was admirable after McArthur's congressional testimony.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 12/07/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
They both gave the Bonus Army hell

Shameful...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
FUG DUGOUT DOUG!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never been able to understand why Macarthur didn't have the defense alerted for the attack on the Philippines.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
MacArthur

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Patton and it is not even close

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

He booted McArthur because McArthur was being too effective against the Chinese Communists, who Truman wanted to ensure retained a grip on the Korean peninsula. How was that admirable? Millions of people live in literal slavery to this day because of Truman's communist sympathies.

The US public certainly didn't think it was admirable after McArthur's congressional testimony.

He should have booted MacArthur sooner

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.