Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
As with each and every year, things are never the same. This year was no exception. The border finally opened for those that were fully vaccinated, had a negative (accepted) covid test, and filed with Arrive Canada, within a 72 hour window. Again as it turns out, it was easier getting INTO Canada than it was to return home. My hat is STILL off to Canada. The drive up was fantastic. Sunny clear day. very light traffic and we were ahead of schedule. So much so that we were in Drummondville by 10 AM. Check in time at the hotel was 3 PM and they wouldn't budge on that. Neither of us wanted to just wait so we continued the trip all the way to Mont Joli. We got there before check in time in Drummondville so that was a huge plus. We spent 2 days in Mont Joli shopping, checking in at the airport, and just relaxing. The first day in Mont Joli the weather took a turn. Not real bad, just winterlike. We were comfortable and hoping for snow on the island.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Day one on Anticosti was uneventful. Warm and clear. My wife did get a shot at a doe, but failed to connect. I walked into a swamp via a trail system and got caught by a nice spikehorn. He got the drop on me before I made eye contact with him. In a blink he was gone.

Day 2 was a day to be spent on 4 wheelers. In the middle of the night, the rains came accompanied by heavy winds. Rain amounted to over 4" and wind was a steady 40 mph with gusts up to 60. Nan opted to stay in. I got into rain gear and off I want at daylight. The guide was with me. We went into another big swamp and he was grunting. Just short little quiet grunts. It was pouring cats and dogs. All of a sudden he stopped. He pointed and said "see the buck". For the life of me, I could not. Finally I spotted him well over 100 yds. I looked through my Leupold 3X9 and the lenses plus my glasses were impossible to see through. He kept up with the little grunts and the buck started to come to us. I kept trying to pick him up in the scope but could not. Finally I could make him out and I fired. A MISS. I fired again and he went down. He got back up and made it to the edge of the swamp. I had no chance for another shot. All we found was a tuft of white hair. No blood, nothing else. We spent an hour trying to get another chance at him or find him. No luck.

Day 3, my wife was up to going back out. The guide dropped me off and said he would return in about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, in the thick spruces, I jumped a deer. I followed a short distance and found it standing partially concealed. I shot and it piled up. Just a small button buck, but I was in the "if it's brown, it's down" mood. The guide returned and the 3 of us relocated. There was about 6" of snow on the ground and we came over a knoll and there was a nice spike buck in the middle of the trail. Nan was getting into position and the buck turned and was walking away, Nan said something under her breath and fired. Both the guide and I thought it was gut shot because the deer hunched up. Nan stayed where she shot from and the guide and I took the track. In less than 100 feet we saw the deer laying there. We yelled to Nan and she was ecstatic. Where did she hit it? It was a perfect Texas heart shot. The ONLY one I have ever seen.

Day 4 started with light rain. Not heavy, just a nuisance. It was a 4 wheeler day and Nan wasn't happy but she wanted to go. I asked if she could ride with me and there was no problem. I got here to a nice heated blind at one of her favorite spots. Un fortunately she saw nothing. I left her and went up the trail a few hundred yards. At 9:45 a doe stepped out about 50 yards to my right and down hill. Again she spotted me before I saw her. As I turned to shoulder my rifle she bolted. It was the last day. BUT only quarter past nine. Well, as luck would have it, EXACTLY 9:45 a buck trotted out where the doe was and turned uphill towards me. I shouldered my 99 in 284 Winchester and fired. He turned away and headed for the woods. No chance for a second shot. I ran down to where he went in and JUST got into the woods. He was standing facing away less than 50 feet. I had a quartering away shot and took it at the right front shoulder. He jumped straight up and I fired again when he was air born. He crashed tot he ground, DEAD. He was a nice 5 pointer and I was happy.

After being gone for a year and with all the stress of her strokes and covid, and the border closing, we just thank God we were able to get there. We have 3 deer and a moose in the freezers and some FANTASTIC memories.

Here are a few pictures in the "after hunt" time

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Always tickled to read this report. Congratulations on another successful season. Glad you folks were able to make the trip again.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What a wonderful time. Don't post often but really enjoy your annual report from Anticosti. Definitely can tell you and your wife have a good time together.

He went over yonder way
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
So nice to see that you made the trip and enjoyed your time. Anticosti is an almost magical place. I haven't been there since I was stationed in Quebec in the 1980s.

That should convince you to return next year. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read your report every year (well except last years of course). Its wonderful that you can look forward to the trip and share the experience and the memories with your bride. Kudos for a successful trip!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats to the both of you on another memory making trip.

Thanks for taking us along.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats glad you both enjoyed the trip!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
congrats to both of you, I am glad ya'll had a good time👍

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heeler
What a wonderful time. Don't post often but really enjoy your annual report from Anticosti. Definitely can tell you and your wife have a good time together.

We certainly do. In that regard, I am a lucky man. Thanks for following.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Always tickled to read this report. Congratulations on another successful season. Glad you folks were able to make the trip again.

All of the above! Thanks for posting and letting us in to it! You know I'm one that always looks forward to this report!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

All of the above! Thanks for posting and letting us in to it! You know I'm one that always looks forward to this report!

I look forward to hearing from you as well. I always enjoy your posts and points of virw.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good report on Anticcosti as usual. Glad to see Nan is doing well. Problems on returning to USA?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Good report on Anticcosti as usual. Glad to see Nan is doing well. Problems on returning to USA?

They completely broke us down. Went through the meat with a fine tooth comb. Made sure EVERY piece was de-boned. Gave us a hard time over the skull caps. Said there was too much tissue. They gave in on that. Then they went through the guns. Made us unlock and check to make sure nothing was in the chambers. We were there close to 45 minutes or more. Two young ladies were doing the inspection.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
highlight of the year reading these hunts!

Sure wish Kanada and USA would get over this scamdemic BULLSHIT already.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When we went through Canadian Customs in 2018 we removed the bolts from the gun; in 2021 we left the bolts open. The border patrol agent said he was happy to see open bolts because they have had loaded guns and not that infrequent apparently. We spent more time talking to the border patrol guy than he did checking.
Longbeard i may contact you one day about Anticosti. I have read about it since i was a kid but your stories are the best. Congratulations and good eating!!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by abbydog
When we went through Canadian Customs in 2018 we removed the bolts from the gun; in 2021 we left the bolts open. The border patrol agent said he was happy to see open bolts because they have had loaded guns and not that infrequent apparently. We spent more time talking to the border patrol guy than he did checking.
Longbeard i may contact you one day about Anticosti. I have read about it since i was a kid but your stories are the best. Congratulations and good eating!!

Thank you. I would try to answer any questions you might have, but the BEST way is to call the outfitters. Sepaq Anticosti. or Lac Geniveve

https://www.sepaq.com/sepaq-anticosti/

https://www.anticostiplg.com/en/pourvoirie-lac-genevieve-danticosti

Last edited by Longbeardking; 12/08/21.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on another Hunt! Thanks for the pics and post.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
Congrads on another Hunt! Thanks for the pics and post.

Thanks, John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.