Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think it's time for someone to throw down the "My dad can beat your dad" gauntlet.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wouldn’t matter, the Leupold threads are the Groundhog Day equivalent campfire movie.

And probably most often started by one who wants to watch it again..... wink

Last edited by battue; 12/08/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Al, yep the brass erector-tube Burris scopes were interesting, to say the least! Among other things, they also proved problematic to mount, because of the placement of the adjustment turrets.

They eventually got away from that, and as I mentioned around the early 2000s started were pretty darn good scopes. One of the interesting changes was lighter erector tubes, and often using heavy coil-springs to move the tubes--instead of flat springs, as many companies did (and some still do).

Best, John

John, I'd bet the weight of the brass erector tube is likely why the turrets were positioned so far forward? The Signature 8-32 I mentioned had the adjustable Light Collector on the objective. On bright sunny days shooting over snow, it made a big difference. It also had the Posi Lock system for locking the erector tube into place to prevent POI changes. That system worked too...you had to learn to 'lead' it a bit as it loaded the erector tube when tightened. Once set, it never moved.

After a few seasons, I replaced the 8-32 Burris with a Leupold 6.5-20X50 VX III and it too gave excellent service.

When Burris revamped their 6 power A.O. HBR scope for Hunter Benchrest competition and tagged it the HBRII, it used the Posi Lock standoff on the tube but instead of the locking mechanism, it had a coil spring in it to keep the erector tube loaded, along with two flat leaf springs. The adjustments were 1/5" (.020) rather than the earlier versions 1/8" adjustments. Tracking was spot on but both of the two I had suffered from parallax issues that could never be resolved despite multiple trips back to Burris for tune ups. Since I had an 'extra' wink , I disassembled it and could see why the parallax issue was there and why it couldn't be fixed unless they redid the reticle cell design. They never did and folded the line up shortly after.

I reassembled the one I'd taken apart and it's been on a very accurate Remington 541T .22 for many years now.

Thanks again..stay warm. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by battue
the Leupold threads are the Groundhog Day equivalent campfire movie.

Could not agree more !!!!!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Mach3
Lmao @ "Leupold are junk". What an ass hat statement.

Leupold riflescopes are probably the best money I ever spent...on anything. Don't be jealous of something you can't afford.

This the ass hat statement leupolds aren't that expensive

Depends which models you're talking

They aren't in S&B price range plus they have some low dollar models as well
Your original post just didn't cut the mustard.

I'll put my VX5 scopes up against anything in the same price range. It won't even be comparable.

They will not beat a Track Toric which cost less. Your experience or more like lack of is showing

I can't agree or disagree. But my VX5s have been absolutely flawless. Track great and hold zero perfectly.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Lmao @ "Leupold are junk". What an ass hat statement.

Leupold riflescopes are probably the best money I ever spent...on anything. Don't be jealous of something you can't afford.

This the ass hat statement leupolds aren't that expensive

Depends which models you're talking

They aren't in S&B price range plus they have some low dollar models as well
Your original post just didn't cut the mustard.

I'll put my VX5 scopes up against anything in the same price range. It won't even be comparable.

They will not beat a Track Toric which cost less. Your experience or more like lack of is showing

I can't agree or disagree. But my VX5s have been absolutely flawless. Track great and hold zero perfectly.

That is good and I've heard that before about those. Tract scopes and binoculars are an incredible value. I have Nightforce, Zeiss, U.S. Optics, Meopta, S&B and Tract Toric scopes are right there with them in quality fir much less cost

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Al,

Yep, the turrets on the brass-erector tube Burris's were moved forward for leverage reasons.

Ran into that parallax problem now and then. In 1995 they sent me a new variable once for a big game hunt I was planning, as I recall a 3-9x or so, and the only magnification where there wasn't any parallax was the top end. I tend to prefer magnification somewhere in the middle of that for most big game hunting, so told 'em what was happening. They said that's just the way things are--apparently due to the brass erector tube. It wasn't too long afterward that they started revamping the line-up--without the brass tubes.

Good hunting,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wouldn’t matter, the Leupold threads are the Groundhog Day equivalent campfire movie.

Yep then here comes the scOpe X'spurts with their faulty erectors.....

Can you guys believe the rifle scope design engineers that hang around here ?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LFC

You mean like the Burris scope expert that you are

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by LFC

LFC = Leupold Fan Club?

Do you honestly think that most who experienced repeated troubles with any scope brand started out desiring to not get good service from and be dissatisfied with the product that they selected and traded hard earned money to obtain?

Last edited by Starbuck; 12/08/21.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am brand loyal when I have good experienced but if I get burned by a company, I never go back. After many years as a Ford guy, I wouldn't take one now if you gave it to me. I got burned by them and will never go back.

As for Leupold, I have at least 10 of their scopes and have never had a problem. There may be people who have had other experiences but, so far, not me. I will keep buying them unless/until I get burned.

I also have a couple other optics that have been good so far. I have a couple Trijicons that have been good and a Meopta that has also been good. I have bought other lower-priced brands without good results.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ran into that parallax problem now and then. In 1995 they sent me a new variable once for a big game hunt I was planning, as I recall a 3-9x or so, and the only magnification where there wasn't any parallax was the top end. I tend to prefer magnification somewhere in the middle of that for most big game hunting, so told 'em what was happening. They said that's just the way things are--apparently due to the brass erector tube. It wasn't too long afterward that they started revamping the line-up--without the brass tubes.

Good hunting, John

On the HBRII I disassembled, the reticle lens cell had two lenses. One lens had the horizontal cross hair and dot on it. The other lens had the vertical cross hair on it and fitted against each other in the brass ring that supported them. Evidently the small gap created from the thickness of the wires/dot manifested as the parallax issue. You could eliminate the horizontal parallax, you could eliminate the vertical parallax...but you could never clear both horizontal and vertical at the same time. This remained a constant at any of the yardages we shot at (100-200-300) or in any lighting condition.

It's amazing that scopes work as well as they do..... crazy

Thanks again for the industry insight. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Theeck
I am brand loyal when I have good experienced but if I get burned by a company, I never go back. After many years as a Ford guy, I wouldn't take one now if you gave it to me. I got burned by them and will never go back.

As for Leupold, I have at least 10 of their scopes and have never had a problem. There may be people who have had other experiences but, so far, not me. I will keep buying them unless/until I get burned.

I also have a couple other optics that have been good so far. I have a couple Trijicons that have been good and a Meopta that has also been good. I have bought other lower-priced brands without good results.

I apologize in advance. I'm not trying to poke fun at you or your post, and I get where you are coming from on how difficult is is to go back to something that you feel let you down. But, I'd like to use an element from your post to satirically summarize how I view the ongoing Leupold debate:

But Ford's are awesome. I've never had a single problem with 3 Fords that I used as grocery getters and never towed with or took off road, so I can't possibly fathom the reality that you, or anyone else, ever had a problem with a Ford.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I never had a problem with a Ford....because I never owned one

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey bud my erector is still fine

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by LFC
I never had a problem with a Ford....because I never owned one

I figured you for a Toyota guy from the outset.

Haven't you heard: Everyone should support Ford. They are a great American company who engineer and assemble in the the USA (most of the time) some great vehicles from foreign and domestically sourced parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless, throughout other posts, someone has proven themselves a liar, I assume everybody who claims to have had a bad or a good experience with a particular brand of scope is telling the truth. It simply amazes me how such a discussion turns into a sophomoric "you suck" type of discussion. I know, I know, "hey TBS, shut your trap and go back to sitting on the couch and licking windows". Yes, my spidy sense does go off when someone says "I know a guy who knows his stuff and he had 43 of these all puke while only being mounted on 22 rimfires". Ya, sure you do.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by LFC

Lots of guys claim that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have three Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 scopes with the FireDot Duplex reticle on my favorite hunting rifles and they are working out well, and yes I dial them.

Got an antelope at 438 yards and an elk at 650 yards this year, and when dialed they "shuffled" the bullets right where they were supposed to. As they do at the range.

I wish they had the old VX-R duplex, but with the lit dot I'm getting by.

Happy with these for the hunting conditions I can encounter.

Thanks for the report. That's the sort of stuff I keep hearing, the reason am hoping to range-test my VX5 soon.

Buddy of mine used that same VX5 3-15 this year on a 300 Win Mag - ranged a cow elk at 612 yds, dialed elevation and dropped it. I have a few older Leupolds but haven't bought a new one in years. That VX5 2-10 you mentioned looks interesting...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by LFC

Lots of guys claim that.

Lots of guys don't know the difference.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 50 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,237
Posts18,504,505
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.