Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Being on the approach to Charleston airport and AFB, we see a lot of a/c up close and personal. Many C-17's and many commercial jets of all kinds daily. Have seen P-3's on occasion, I'd assumed they were out of the picture by now but no. All kinds of helicopters, fighters and, occasionally, V-22's. As an aside, my next door neighbor here was first CO of the first USMC V-22 squadron. I spent significant time in helicopters while in the Navy and in fixed-wing aircraft, but helos were my favorite ride. I flew aircrew for the last flight of the last RC-45J in the Navy.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bcp
I only run out if I hear a large radial or V-12 engine.

Bruce

This.

To quote my nearly 93 yo father who has flown a huge variety of stuff from piper cubs to 747's - "real airplanes have propellers and chit sticking out all over."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cra1948
Being on the approach to Charleston airport and AFB, we see a lot of a/c up close and personal. Many C-17's and many commercial jets of all kinds daily. Have seen P-3's on occasion, I'd assumed they were out of the picture by now but no. All kinds of helicopters, fighters and, occasionally, V-22's. As an aside, my next door neighbor here was first CO of the first USMC V-22 squadron. I spent significant time in helicopters while in the Navy and in fixed-wing aircraft, but helos were my favorite ride. I flew aircrew for the last flight of the last RC-45J in the Navy.

Had a hot shot helo pilot “scare” us. He pulled some maneuver where we dropped 200’ easy.

Straight down. I guess he was happy he recovered. The crew wasn’t happy. Supposedly it was
the humidity that helped him scare us. Lol

Nice drop, straight down.

We landed in one piece, out of the drink.

Fun ride.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fester

Had a hot shot helo pilot “scare” us. He pulled some maneuver where we dropped 200’ easy.

Straight down. I guess he was happy he recovered. The crew wasn’t happy. Supposedly it was

Fun ride.

auto rotation ?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by slumlord

Fun ride.

auto rotation ?

Fug if I know….. I’m not a pilot. Lol

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by slumlord

Fun ride.

auto rotation ?

Fug if I know….. I’m not a pilot. Lol

Sometimes I needed to get some flight hours near the end of the month and would hang out down at the line shack until someone came along who could put me on a manifest and take me wherever they might be going so I could qualify for my flight pay. On one occasion it was a pilot doing his period qualifications, one aspect of which was to autorotate down from altitude and kick it back into gear (what seemed to me) pretty damn close to the ground. Scary schitt, having a (so-called) aircraft dropping straight down away from you. One of the guys I worked with had been in a helo that autorotated all the way down. He said it wasn't so bad if you were seated properly.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Craigster
I love sound of Hueys in the morning.

Agree. But the Chinook and some Medical helicopters made by Bell sound very similar at a distance. The Chinooks have a lot of transmission noise and the Bell Medical helicopters have the big fat blades that make them sound "Hueyish". The Blackhawks and Apache's have a sound of their own. As I recall both have GE engine packages. I'll go with helicopters.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of you fellas have no idea how much fun one can have with autorotations. laugh

Imagine if you will, 100 kts @ 50’ for starters. Chop the power and do a trade of speed for altitude, all the while making a sharp turn. Complete a 360* turn, level and flare. Touch down with zero ground run.

Doesn’t take long.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If a large military helicopter has circled your house at low altitude for 3 or 4 times before you turned down the stereo to figure out the sound, & you realize what the sound is & you run out the door & you can't decide to assume the position or grab yer M1A, is that being geeky or fuddy?

Found out it was an acquaintance that worked at the helicopter retrofit center at Lockheed a few air miles away that was riding on a test flight..

The SOB, laughed at me & said; gotcha, didn't I?

I don't let them bother me much anymore, they likely don't want for nothin but being old, & if they did come, I couldn't stop them anyhow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OTOH, strap on a Cessna 152 Aerobat, climb up to about 3000’, do a couple of barrel rolls and morph that into a spin. Let it go thru 7 full turns and see if you’re good enough to recover on a predetermined heading. Hint: Don’t puke half way thru, it’s makes the control wheel slippery.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Ha! Those MV2 Ospreys with their big props make big racket when they fly over.

Whew !!!!!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Ha! Those MV2 Ospreys with their big props make big racket when they fly over.

Whew !!!!!

To me, the Ospreys have a sound all their own... kind of a mix between a helo and a fixed-wing prop job which, I suppose only makes sense. They're an interesting a/c, for sure.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
We live near the Sykorski factory and their birds fly over frequently. Have seen a B 24, B 17 and B 25 fly over the house. They were part of an air show at Tweed Airport in New Haven.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Jets. I feel the need for speed!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Anything with afterburner 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Afterburners aren't as exciting as choppers.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
OTOH, strap on a Cessna 152 Aerobat, climb up to about 3000’, do a couple of barrel rolls and morph that into a spin. Let it go thru 7 full turns and see if you’re good enough to recover on a predetermined heading. Hint: Don’t puke half way thru, it’s makes the control wheel slippery.

Flying my bosses 172. After take off/before landing a I didn't know chit. Ask him if I could play. I'm used to be kind of a an animal with vehicles. Boss said OK, but if I take back the controls you don't hesitate to let me have them.

Though I'd twist it , roll it or something. Took me about 5 minutes to realize I'd met my match. No stomach for it whatsoever. I didn't puke in the cabin, but was close. Glad to be back on the ground that day.

Positive G's good, like drag racing. Negative? negative.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

But with afterburning aircraft, after a crash you get smaller, easier to pick up parts.😳🤢

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/09/21.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by gunzo

Flying my bosses 172. After take off/before landing a I didn't know chit. Ask him if I could play. I'm used to be kind of a an animal with vehicles. Boss said OK, but if I take back the controls you don't hesitate to let me have them.

Though I'd twist it , roll it or something. Took me about 5 minutes to realize I'd met my match. No stomach for it whatsoever. I didn't puke in the cabin, but was close. Glad to be back on the ground that day.

Positive G's good, like drag racing. Negative? negative.

But at zero G, there’s just parasitic drag and no induced drag, so you can accelerate about three tines as fast. 😊

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r

But with afterburning aircraft, after a crash you get smaller, easier to pick up parts.😳🤢

True, but it’s a PITA to fill the crater they make.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,721
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.