Print Thread
Hop To
R
rjtmac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am in need of some ID help from the experts ... Working on a 1906 year model 1894 - 30-30 ... 20" Octagon Barrel restore project.

One of the first orders of business was to replace the fore grip which is beat up, broken, shattered and has 2 "AWFUL" Acuglass repairs. It had to go.

The project was about 6 to 8 weeks out from getting started when I got the gun. But the fore grip replacement was obvious so I got online found and ordered a new one ... All is well and good ... Came in 4 or 5 days later and the box went to a shelf in the shop.

Project started a couple of days ago and disassembly started ... got the mag tube and fore grip removed ... so out of curiosity I went to the shelf and got the box with the new fore grip down and opened it ... not good ... way too big ... immediate thought - "Moron you ordered the wrong part" ...

So to the computer ... pulled the order records up and double checked ... according the order and the Vendors Web Site the order was correct ...

Contacted the vendor ... we discussed ... he told me that the Winchester I had was a rarer model ???????? That the fore grip I had fit nearly every model but the one I have in hand ... he said he knew of none of the major national "furniture" suppliers out there that made or kept this smaller fore grip in stock ... Basically he said he was telling me I was SOL in getting a direct replacement unless just by pure timing luck off of eBay or such.

Luckily the new one I have in hand - with "A LOT OF HANDWORK MODIFICATIONS IN SIZE AND FITMENT" can be made to work and be a viable replacement.

What I need help with is can anybody ID the Model of 1894 with this short fore grip ? ... it is about 1 to 1 1/2 shorter ... didn't put a ruler to it ... I know the short fore grip is the correct size for the rifle because the tenon lug for the metal fore end cap places the holes in exactly the right place for cap to fit and screw in.

Thanks in advance for any help and information ... Winchester couldn't help when I contacted them and Cody would budge a peep without sending them money for a letter verification and the lady said she couldn't guarantee a model ID if we ponied up the payment ....

Last edited by rjtmac; 12/09/21.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What is sounds like is fairly straight forward. With the 20" barrel and forearm short, what you have is a standard short rifle. Nearly all short rifles have a forearm @1" shorter that the standard rifle. Not rare by any standard but uncommon. I have owned 3 such short rifles.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The forend you ordered can be cut to fit the shorter length. There are some stock fitting guys who do that job from time to time.

R
rjtmac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks to all ... think I got my answer with Standard Short Rifle find ... Thanks to all ... think I got my answer with Standard Short Rifle find ...

Originally Posted by Levers
The forend you ordered can be cut to fit the shorter length. There are some stock fitting guys who do that job from time to time.

The fore grip is in modification mode already ... Have it cut to just over 3/8" too long and have the top rails cut down from back to front 1/8" ... now the handwork begins ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (01Foreman400, 79S, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 9 invisible), 961 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,093
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.