Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SS336
Thanks, LFC. Yes it is.
Have had a Oregon Kimber and this one is more accurate and that’s saying something because my old Kimber was very accurate. Here it is out hunting squirrels. It’s my favorite .22 have had it 20years, Leopold scope still works too. 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice wood.

My Cooper Classic is more accurate than my Kimber of Oregon. The Kimber went down the road; the Cooper is a keeper.

DF

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To me, on any rifle that has reach, the question boils down to this. Would I be comfortable twisting the adjustments to hell and back the night before a big hunt where an accurate, precise first shot might be required ... or not. No checking zero, just grab the rifle and go.

I’ve seen too much squirreliness from Leupold scopes to answer “yes“ with them. It’s mainly that whole “settling shot” phenomenon that has been mentioned.

Other scopes I own, I would not hesitate in the slightest to do that. Not based on name or reputation, based on what they’ve shown me.

For guys who go with the “zero 1.5” high at 100 and go huntin” this isn’t a factor; nor is it a factor with folks using a reticle for holdover. I had a couple Leup’s with the B&C and they worked fine, as far as they went.

As someone who makes precise things it also just grates on me the sheer number of times Leup has advertised precision mechanicals and then it turns out otherwise. THEY know better. The people designing and testing these mechanisms knew they had issues; but for whatever reasons they chose to buy expensive glossy advertisements saying how awesome they were..... and then fix things for free when people complained. That’s a really disingenuous business model, to put it charitably.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If leupold is now in the junk scope category when will see their prices on new or used scopes come down and be discounted like the other junk scope out there? Ah....... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like never perhaps! What say you?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cs2blue
If leupold is now in the junk scope category when will see their prices on new or used scopes come down and be discounted like the other junk scope out there? Ah....... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like never perhaps! What say you?

Hope not, I have a bunch I still need to sell

Sean
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have my VX-II back from the Leupold repair shop. The scope was stringing horizontally. What was interesting to me is that they replaced the vertical and horizontal adjusters and the erector. They also "reworked" some other parts, whatever that means. I looked up the serial number and the scope was manufactured in 2005 so I have had it awhile. It has probably had under 300 rounds fired under it. This scope had very precise adjustments when it worked but my older Leupolds lasted longer.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I myself just recently sent off and older VX III in 2.5x8 that was all goofed up in both elevation & windage adjustments. No spare parts anymore they said, sending me a new VX3 HD 2.8 with CDS as a replacement. I'm not a turret turner, but at one time I did play with one on a 4.5x14x40. I may as well put it on my Mesa 300WM. I have a new Burris FFII 3x9 on it now, so hey, Upgrade! I love Leupold, always have! smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I myself just recently sent off and older VX III in 2.5x8 that was all goofed up in both elevation & windage adjustments. No spare parts anymore they said, sending me a new VX3 HD 2.8 with CDS as a replacement. I'm not a turret turner, but at one time I did play with one on a 4.5x14x40. I may as well put it on my Mesa 300WM. I have a new Burris FFII 3x9 on it now, so hey, Upgrade! I love Leupold, always have! smile

I like the ones that work, have a number of them.

They good till they not. Keeping the good ones. The one that’s been back twice goes down the road. EBay, not Fire Classifieds. Won’t sell anything here I can’t trust.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/11/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am flat tired of how their mag adjustment rings are so stiff. I just tried a new one, a vx5hd 2-10, and sending it back monday for that reason. I have always had a leupold on one of my rifles but I think anymore it will only be fixed power.

I have no issue with owning anything made in Japan but I go out of my way to try not to own anything made in China related to firearms.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What did you say your Ebay name was ?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by LFC
As far as I'm concerned two or three Burris scopes was enough for me....I owned one Bushnell 3x9 when I was about 14.
Wasn't too long before I bought my first used Leupold scope my first taste of European was a Zeiss Diavari 1" 3x9 back in the early 1980s once you hunt with a European scope it's hard to look back.

I actually have more experience in the last 15 years or so with European scopes Zeiss, Swarovski and Schmidt and Bender. I still have a several Leupolds two Swarovskis and two Schmidt and Benders.

If I can afford it I prefer Schmidt and Bender.....costly to put one on every rifle.

Congratulations in your experience, but apparently you did NOT have experience with "two or three Burris scopes," and actually never even used the second one you acquired.

Right now I own dozens of rifle scopes, from 16 different companies. I own 17 Leupolds, more than any other brand, with Burris in second place at 11. The others include some European brands including Hensoldt, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski and Zeiss. Probably have owned more Swarovskis and Zeisses than any other Euro brands. Among the newer brands are Nightforce, SWFA and Tract Toric.

Also right now, I have had 20 different brands of scopes fail in one way or another when on my rifles. That is BRANDS, not individual scopes, often multiples in one brand, including some noted European scopes, plus Nightforce. Any scope can malfunction after enough use, though some arrive from the factory "broken." I know this partly because for 30 years now I have been paid to test scopes, and one of the tests is to put them on rifles that recoil at least as much as a .300 magnum, and shoot the rifle considerably.

But the subject here is Leupold scopes--along with Burris. I still own quite a few Leupolds because they suit my purposes on many rifles, especially older Leupolds, some with friction adjustments. The M8 fixed-powers, for instance, are not only light and hold zero once you get them adjusted, but almost never break. Though that has happened a few times, usually by the wire reticle snapping.

Starting about a decade ago I had more Leupolds start to malfunction than ever before--including the FX fixed-powers, which replaced the M8s. At first I welcomed them, because of more consistent click adjustments, but too many didn't hold zero--and I'm not talking about 2-3 inches of shift, but sometimes a foot or more. Sent them back, and at least two were returned by Leupold with a note saying they'd "examined" them and could find nothing wrong. I tried them on the same rifles and they malfunctioned the same way.

So many Leupold scopes started malfunctioning that I eventually was photocopying the repair forms several at a time. Eventually I realized that was ridiculous, so started buying more Burris scopes, especially Fullfield IIs, as "affordable" but reliable scopes for general use. Got my first around 2003, a 30mm model that they then offered as what were then often called "tactical" scopes by many companies, which had very repeatable adjustments. Still have it, and its been on several rifles and the adjustments are still very repeatable. In fact, shot my last big game animal with it a couple weeks ago, using my custom 6.5 PRC.

But also soon tried a basic 1"-tube 3-9x40 Fullfield II, and it also worked well, with far less erratic adjustments than Leupolds in the same price range. When Burris started having them made in the Philippines I got one of those, and compared it to the American-made scope, and the "Asian" model was at least as good in every respect, and in some ways a little better. This was because Burris didn't just ask an overseas company to make a copy of the American FFII, but shipped the machinery to them, and provided instruction in how to use it.

Since then have acquired several more Philippine-made FFIIs, partly because the guys at a local sporting goods store (which sells a LOT of scopes) told me Burris was probably the most reliable brand they carry. In all that time--and a lot of shooting--have only had ONE 3-9x40 FFII malfunction--and that was my first 1" model, made in the USA, which had been on dozens of rifles, often when testing a new rifle, BECAUSE it had been so reliable. Isent it back to Burris and they had it repaired and back to me within two weeks.

I have used more expensive scopes for the same purpose, and some didn't last as long. Others did well--though one Nightforce did eventually need repair, after being used hard as a test-scope on quite a few hard-kicking rifles over 4-5 years. During the same time-frame I had to return several Leupolds for repair, and at least two malfunctioned in the same way when they showed up again.

All of which is why quit buying new Leupolds for a few years, and only used my older, proven ones. Lately they seem to be improving, and in fact have a 2-10x42 5HD that I need to "test-fire," because have heard so many good reports from trusted friends that I have high hopes. In the meantime I'll keep using my older Leupolds (used one of those, a small variable, to take my first big game animal this fall) and Burrises, and other trustworthy scopes to hunt with.

If you're tearing up.that many scopes they should find another tester.....

Just saying

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You retarded lfc or just a faqq?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Raferman
You retarded lfc or just a faqq?

You learn to talk like that at the Cracker Barrel ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stringnut
The current consensus is that Leupold is not what they used to be and haven’t been for several years. So my question is what is a good alternative? I am not a long ranges knob twister in any way . All I need is good optics, reliability, decent adjustments without breaking the bank. 2-7, or 3-9, do anything I want. Will spend 500 to 600 bucks for a scope. Not going to put out thousands of dollars for something I don’t need. The wife is really screwed as she was a Nikon freak. One of her old scopes needed repair and she got a voucher toward binoculars. Harder than hell to mount and impossible to sight in.

Leupold VX 2, 2-7X33 LRD.

Last edited by 308ld; 12/12/21.

Ed
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So you drank the campfire Koolaid? This site has more than it's share of Leupold bashers. Interestingly that is not the case on some of the other sources of info. Not trying to change your mind just take what you see with a grain or two of salt.

The change in characters on the campfire over the last couple years coincides with the Leupold hate.... I will stick with them until I have issues.

lots of loud mouth idiots on the fire who find fault in anything except themselves..Ive been shooting Leupolds for over 40 years.I have about 20 of them and never had to send any back for repair. stay away from the Freedom series on magnum calibers.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My OP post sure sparked more replies than I ever imagined! It was even mentioned that it was troll post. Looking back it does look troll like, but, that is not what I intended. I should have known that this would be an inflammatory subject. Glad I didn’t mention anything about the 6.5 Creedmoor in addition to my scope question.

However only a few posts answered my original question. Burris seems to be the most mentioned alternative. Is there any thing else that is a good scope for less than 600 bucks? I have a couple of Burris scopes. One had been on a rifle for years and when I changed loads the elevation knob wouldn’t turn. When I sent it in they returned it saying that the magnification adjustment issue had been corrected. Sent it in again and they returned it saying that it wouldn’t turn as it was at the end of its adjustment and that I needed to check my rings and bases so that I wouldn’t run out of adjustment. Still would not turn. Talked to a very nice lady who had me send it to her attention. She made sure the issue was resolved. Didn’t really sour me on the brand itself, but, sure don’t have a lot of faith in their service department.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by barnabus
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So you drank the campfire Koolaid? This site has more than it's share of Leupold bashers. Interestingly that is not the case on some of the other sources of info. Not trying to change your mind just take what you see with a grain or two of salt.

The change in characters on the campfire over the last couple years coincides with the Leupold hate.... I will stick with them until I have issues.

lots of loud mouth idiots on the fire who find fault in anything except themselves..Ive been shooting Leupolds for over 40 years.I have about 20 of them and never had to send any back for repair. stay away from the Freedom series on magnum calibers.

A lot of people have experience that is very different from yours when it comes to Leup scopes. That doesn’t make them loud-mouth idiots.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm betting lot of scope / gun problems are likely self inflicted.....I know I've inflicted myself on more than one occasion working on something I shouldn't have be it guns, cars, plumbing, electrical the list is long.

Being a Jack of all trades is hard.

Somethings are better left to Gunsmiths....I'll go out on a limb and say that scope set up and mounting is one of those things that the Average jOe shouldn't tackle after watching a few You tube videos.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by LFC
I'm betting lot of scope / gun problems are likely self inflicted.....I know I've inflicted myself on more than one occasion working on something I shouldn't have be it guns, cars, plumbing, electrical the list is long.

Somethings are better left to Gunsmiths....I'll go out on a limb and say that scope set up and mounting is one of those things that the Average jOe shouldn't tackle after watching a few You tube videos.

You are going out on a limb. Any average Joe can figure it out.

Scott
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by LFC

I have run into several gunsmiths over the years who didn't have much of a clue about mounting scopes. Have seen several tighten rings so much they left a visible "waist" in the scope tube, and often the pressure prevented the scope from adjusting correctly. In fact one of those claimed that ALL Leupold scopes are bad right out of the factory, due to his ham-handed idiocy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What kind of reputation do the FX II fixed 4x33 have?

Have 2 of them NIB that I have never got around to using.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.